GPS ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddysbike

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm close to getting my '07 and would like to put a GPS on it. I've never had one but friends on wings had them. They had the large 2600/2700 series which are great from what I've seen but I don't want huge hardware on my bars. I would use it mostly to go out and get lost and then tell it to take me home. I'd also like to be able to add a address while on the road and have it take me there. Third, I would like it to connect to power outlet in fairing, mount easily and come off easy to use in car. I know Garmin is the likely way to go and saw a model in a magazine that runs on AA batteries and sticks on windcreen, I was considering that for VFR but now that I'm going FJR I'd maybe like a model better suited to the power supply. Also how would it connect and what hardware would I need?

pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the smaller ones don't do auto-routing or route-along-road; swapping size for as-the-crow-flies.

After about 7 years, I just replaced my Street Pilot (1) - monochrome with a refurbished 2610 for about the cost of what my SP1 cost "back in the day". The improvements are significant. Address-level searches, fast auto-routing, rerouting on the fly if you leave your recommended route, etc. Avoid the 2620 as it uses a micro-drive and they don't like the vibration of motorcycle use. Add a 2gb compact flash card and you can load the whole USA (detailed maps) into a 2610. The newer units tend not to add more GPS funtion but instead add things like XM radio and weather status downloading (for a monthly fee for each).

There are shelfs and StemStands available so you can mount a GPS in other places than on the bars.

Hello,
I'm close to getting my '07 and would like to put a GPS on it. I've never had one but friends on wings had them. They had the large 2600/2700 series which are great from what I've seen but I don't want huge hardware on my bars. I would use it mostly to go out and get lost and then tell it to take me home. I'd also like to be able to add a address while on the road and have it take me there. Third, I would like it to connect to power outlet in fairing, mount easily and come off easy to use in car. I know Garmin is the likely way to go and saw a model in a magazine that runs on AA batteries and sticks on windcreen, I was considering that for VFR but now that I'm going FJR I'd maybe like a model better suited to the power supply. Also how would it connect and what hardware would I need?

pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

Here's a great link for a zumo 550 installation on an 06AE

https://pierre.inazores.com/garmin_zumo_e.htm

I have been researching which one to buy.

Garmin Zumo or 276C (or 376C) appear to be very popular with high end users.

There have been reports of problems with screen condensation on 2700 SteerPilot series (also very popular)

All claim to allow you to retrace your route, plan it in advance, etc.

There are quirks with with each system and going off route.

Check out this site https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144250

Ot try AutoNav or GPSCity (AutoNav has a good feature comparison page)

I have decided that Zumo has best combination.

Waiting to find a good price ($780 best I can find this week, have seen it as low as $ 670)

Hope this helps.

Steve I have a Garmin 276C. You can add routes and look up addresses on the fly. I have an 04 so I was able to mount it to the left side un-used mirror hole. That was gone after the 04. As for power I installed a powerlet outlet. There are a few places to install them. You can check it out here. I used their PPL-005 plug which allows me to move the unit back and forth between bike and car.

https://powerlet.net/

gypsy

I recently bought a Garmin C330 for my car. It is very easy to use, compact, and does everything I need it to do and more. The price was about $328 at newegg.com with free delivery. Uses a cig lighter plug and also has a rechargeable internal battery that is good for about 8 hours. The downsides for use on a bike are that it isn't waterproof, there is no headphone jack, and the touchscreen might be difficult with gloves. I have not tried to use it on a bike yet, but I'm sure a plastic bag would keep it dry and a headphone jack could easily be wired into the speaker circuit if desired. Not sure how to deal with the touchscreen issue which may or may not be a problem, but for the price it is a dandy little gizmo.

The Zumo series are motorcycle specific, are smaller than the Garmin 26xx and 27xx series and have the features you are looking for.

If price is a factor you might be interested in the refurbished 2610's that are available for $275. Look here.

I recently went from the Garmin Streetpilot III to the new Zumo 550. What a nice change it is. It has a lot faster processing and sets (finds location) much faster. It will even work in my house which my old unit could not do. The 3D graphics and the touch screen makes this unit super easy to use. If you don't need the XM and Bluetooth capability, the Zumo 450 would be a good choice. These units come with all the mounting hardware you probably will need to mount it to your bike.

Hello,

pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

I just installed my Zumo 550 on my 07. It looks great and with the XM it sounds great. I bought it from PC Nation for $619 and the XM is around $220. I also bought a stem mount from Radarbusters.com for $70. I got the Tech mount Mini 10998M because I liked the shorter stem (1.5in compared to 3.5in). I had the StreetPilot 2820 on the bike first, but think this one is a much cleaner look plus it is designed specifically for the motorcyclist and has an SD card slot. My Zumo connects to my Baehr Ultima XL and with the Zumo's Bluetooth, I can get cellphone, Mp3 and XM using only one input on the Baehr. As for the power supply on the Zumo, it comes with a cigarette lighter plug and a hardwire for the bike. it also comes with two mounts. One for your bike and the other so you can easily move it to your car.

I highly recommend it.

Brian

P2070530.jpg

P2070529.jpg

P2070528.jpg

P2070527.jpg

P2070526.jpg

I have a hand-held unit - the etrex vista C. It does auto routing and you can do address lookup. It fits in a pocket. Only drawback it that it's really small - I use it on my atv and it's a little hard to read when covered in dust and bouncing around... It's got enough mem for most of socal and AZ depending on how far you want to ride....

Josh

I've played with them all (including the Zumo) and settled on the 276c (you might prefer the 478 or 376, depending on your specific wants) for a number of reasons, the most important of which is that the series has the highest resolution and largest screen of any of Garmin's bike-compatible units.

No, it doesn't have a touchscreen - but then that only means that it'll work well with gloved fingers when it's wet out.

The 26xx/27xx/28xx units use a fluorescent backlight - they can dim out over time. Zumo and the 276c use white leds.

There's a lot more, but the fact that Zumo and 276 (and Quest) have batteries is a plus - and the 276 can operate 16 or so hours independently where the Zumo is stretching it at 4 hours.

Don't need the fuel gauge and Proximity POI are defineable in the 276 where for the rest you need to export the qaypoint, the process it in your PC and sent it back again.

I could go on, but why bother?

Hello,

pictures would be great.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

I just installed my Zumo 550 on my 07. It looks great and with the XM it sounds great. I bought it from PC Nation for $619 and the XM is around $220. I also bought a stem mount from Radarbusters.com for $70. I got the Tech mount Mini 10998M because I liked the shorter stem (1.5in compared to 3.5in). I had the StreetPilot 2820 on the bike first, but think this one is a much cleaner look plus it is designed specifically for the motorcyclist and has an SD card slot. My Zumo connects to my Baehr Ultima XL and with the Zumo's Bluetooth, I can get cellphone, Mp3 and XM using only one input on the Baehr. As for the power supply on the Zumo, it comes with a cigarette lighter plug and a hardwire for the bike. it also comes with two mounts. One for your bike and the other so you can easily move it to your car.

I highly recommend it.

Brian

P2070530.jpg

P2070529.jpg

P2070528.jpg

P2070527.jpg

P2070526.jpg

Awesome setup & price spunk. Very clean.

I purchased a Garmin Quest II from gpsonsale.com for $489.99. https://www.gpsonsale.com/ It is fairly small ( 4.5" W x 2.2" H x 0.9" D ) and has lithium ion batteries so can be used while hiking etc. It comes Preloaded with City Select NT data that provides mapping detail throughout the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. Built-in Americas basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways and exits. It has turn by turn voice prompt as well. Use the suction cup mount in the car or truck.

Quest2-LG.jpg

I have a Tomtom Rider.

1_DSCF5280.JPG

Found it much more intuitive to use than the only other MC specific unit that I've tried, a Garmin.

Put it on with a home-made mount, not overly professional, but works very well.

Write-up on my mounting and experience of it here, where I show its mounting on my ex Trophy and my FJR, some more photos here (FJR start on the 2nd page).

here is my setup. (so far)

it's being changed for my new zumo 550 that i got this week.

in over two years of ownership, the quest has never let me down.

28012007164-1.jpg

28012007165-1.jpg

i will post pics of the zumo once it's on also.

jason

I purchased a Garmin Quest II from gpsonsale.com for $489.99. https://www.gpsonsale.com/ It is fairly small ( 4.5" W x 2.2" H x 0.9" D ) and has lithium ion batteries so can be used while hiking etc. It comes Preloaded with City Select NT data that provides mapping detail throughout the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. Built-in Americas basemap with automatic routing capabilities, including highways and exits. It has turn by turn voice prompt as well. Use the suction cup mount in the car or truck.
Quest2-LG.jpg
+1 on the garmin Quest. I've had mine for a couple of years and it's size and easy programming make it a winner.

Here are a couple of pics of mine mounted on my 04'

100_2343.jpg

100_2344.jpg