• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Hella FF50 Driving Lights & Bracket Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have available, pairs of new mounting brackets made to mount Hella FF50 driving lights as shown mounted in the photo. I can provide them for Gen I or II model FJRs. They come powdercoated satin black, but I also have Raven PC available. Cost is $35 delivered.

The Hella lights are very bright and will shine up the road ahead quite nicely for a reasonable amount of $ compared to HIDs.

Send me a PM if interested. B)

FF50a.jpg

FF50c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the setup I run, and it works very nicely. The Hellas are not PHID's however, so the volt challenged should know they pretty much eat up your reserve.

Sweet deal Garauld! B)

You got a set of the protectors you wanna sell me? I already have your brackets and FF50's.

Skyway, send me your address and I'll mail you a set!  You can buy me a beer sometime... :drinks:
You planning on attending WFO in Reno? If so, I'll get the drinks in! :drinks:

Since I have your brackets already, do you sell the relay, switch, wires and protectors separately? Are the electrical compnents in the form of a harness, or are they separate?

Thanks,

Ron

Oh, and let me add that the brackets are very well done!

Ron

Since I have your brackets already, do you sell the relay, switch, wires and protectors separately? Are the electrical compnents in the form of a harness, or are they separate?
Thanks,

Ron
The wiring harness, relay and a switch are supplied with the light kit. I did not use the supplied switch, as it's designed for the interior of a cage. I bought the switch at a hardware store. A SPDT heavy duty to be exact. If I can do it (with some wiring diagram help from here) without any burned wires, it must be easy. :D

The lens protector's are not part of the FF50 kit, they are an additional option/part#.

I set the lights up to run concurrent with the high beams, hence no additional switch. This simplifies the wiring, and since the Hellas are designed for use as a driving light, it only makes sense that they work with the high beam aiming. Just a thought some may want to consider.

I hate to pooh-pooh Garauld's brackets, but I am going to anyways. :p Now don't get me wrong, I think Garauld does great work, especially his rear racks.

But for full disclosure, so people can make the right decision for them, I want to divulge the following observation:

A fellow FJR rider has Garauld's brackets with the the PHIDs installed, and those lights vibrate up and down or "flap" a bit, whereas my set-up with FJRGoodies brackets and PHIDs do not "flap" or vibrate. Probably has something to do with the extra mounting arm on the FJRGoodies bracket.

It wasn't what I would call a huge amount of movement, but I immediately noticed it and didn't like it while riding his FJR.

Thanks SkooterG for clarifying that. As I mentioned in another thread, you should get the brackets from FJRGoodies if you plan to use HID lights. Also, if you want just the brackets, they are $35 delivered - send me a PM if you want a set.

Thanks!

B)

Just got a set for my '05 and installed them on Saturday. The brackets are very well made and fit perfectly. Garauld is selling the package with brackets for only a few bucks more than what I would have paid for the lights without the bracket.

I wired the relay through my high beams so they go on and off with the high beams. I also installed the switch that comes with the kit in case I want the high beams without the Hellas. I did not attach the ground to the switch that would make the switch light up when on. Lights like that annoy me when riding at night.

Thanks for a quality package at a good price Garauld.

Geezer,

Where did you tie into the high beam wire on the bike? I have a set of Gary's brackets coming also for a set of FF-50's so will be doing it pretty soon. Did you solder the connection or use a splice? Always a little nervous when I have to start doing anything involving the electric on the bike. I have this vision of me walking out charred from a smoky garage...

Well, I'll probably get some heat for this, but I flipped open the back of the headlight plug on the left light and slipped the wire through the connector that slips onto the high beam post of the lamp from the back, then closed the back of the headlight connector to hold it in place. The copper is sticking out the other end of the connector a little to make sure it gets good contact when plugged in. The connector sort of pinches the new wire between the connector and the post on the lamp. So that the high beam switch powers the relay for the Hellas.

The Yellow wire on the headlight connector is the high beam.

EDIT: I want to add that I did use the switch that came with the kit, so the wire (I think it's green) goes from the yellow high beam connection to the supply side of the switch, then to the relay. I mounted the switch just ahead of the square flashe button on the left black panel - Panel A

The wires in the light kit are very long for use on a bike and I thought about trimming them back but decided to just coil them up and stuff them in the space near the right mirror mount bolts.