Sena SMH-10/iPhone 3GS/Garmin Streetpilot Eval

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVGeek

Reaction score
Sena SMH-10/iPhone 3GS

I decided to change over my on board electronics package. I have previously had an Autocomm system, and also used an Ampli-RIder with earbuds, both in conjunction with my iPod. I was looking for a way to integrate GPS, and was originally looking at the Garmin Zumo series. With the release of Garmin Streetpilot for iPhone, I decided to make the changes necessary to use my iPhone on the bike.

With a few key purchases from RAM, Powerlet and Sena, I had my project underway.

100_2732.JPG

The first and easiest part was installing the clamp mount to my Shoei RF-1000. I opted for the clamp with an 1/8” jack for use with in ear speakers.

100_2734.JPG

100_2735.JPG

The Bluetooth Module snaps into the clamp mount.

100_2736.JPG

Next up, the Powerlet install to keep the iPhone juiced up in transit; the Garmin app is battery intensive!

I installed the jack in the front dash panel location. I didn’t have an 11/16” hole saw as recommended; a 5/8” Forstner bit in the drill press and some work with a rat tail file opened the hole up perfectly.

100_2750.JPG

The jack dropped in perfectly

100_2751.JPG

I had purchased the mount kit for this location, which included wiring to run to the battery. However, since I have an aux fuse block under the seat, I ran the wiring there instead. I was also able to reclaim most of the storage space here.

100_2753.JPG

A little heat shrink, a few connectors, and a close ground point and we have power!

100_2752.JPG

100_2754.JPG

100_2755.JPG

Next up, RAM install. This part took the longest, as I had originally ordered the medium Aqua-Box, which the iPhone/Powerlet combo didn’t fit (the Powerlet connector is very large). I returned it, and ordered the Medium/Wide box instead. It’s still a tight fit, and I’m still working out if I like the current location.

100_2756.JPG

100_2757.JPG

100_2758.JPG

100_2760.JPG

100_2763.JPG

I added extra foam to the box to bring the iPhone right up against the flex-lens. I found I could actually work the touchscreen through the lens, if I wasn’t wearing gloves. The biggest drawback to this set up was heat; I did a 60 mile test loop, with the ambient temperature sitting between 97-99 degrees. About 25 miles in with Streetpilot and music running, I got the Temperature warning screen and everything shut down. I stopped to check everything, and the phone was too hot to touch. Since I also use a silicon sleeve, I removed it, and left the Garmin app off (keeping the display off), and was able to play music once again. Next try will be to use the Garmin app without the sleeve to see if the temperature stays low enough to operate.

So to sum up, the Sena headset is awesome. It connects to my phone every time, gives me control of both the iPod and phone functions, and sounds great with my current earbuds (Skullcandy Ink’d; I have custom molded units on order). The one (minor) negative aspect is that there is no side tone when using the phone functions (I only have one unit, so haven’t been able to test the intercom functions). The Powerlet outlet is much more convenient than the cigarette lighter in the glove box, and keeps my phone charged up. The RAM mount is still a work in progress; the current location doesn’t actually block the tach or mirror (as it looks in the photos), but given the size, I may look to relocate it in front of my tank bag.

hi from ohio. where did you pick up the box you put your ipod in. i want one for my gps.any info please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that is called an Aqua Box...cuz it is a weather related cover to keep water out.

Google it and you should see online sources.

BTW, when replying to a post, you can hit the "add reply" button at the bottom of the screen.(instead of hitting "reply" in the person's post. That way, only your own text question shows up with out all the text and photos from the post above yours. Unless you wanted all the photos to appear again.

I ordered the Aquabox directly from Ram.
What is the ball unit that you used to connect to your clutch? I have had 5 emails with RAM looking for a good connection and they never mentioned what you have? Is it a "bolt on" or did it require serious Dremel and hammering?

thanks!

What is the ball unit that you used to connect to your clutch? I have had 5 emails with RAM looking for a good connection and they never mentioned what you have? Is it a "bolt on" or did it require serious Dremel and hammering?

thanks!
It's the RAM ball that mounts directly into the unused mirror mount hole on the clutch perch. It's RAM part B-349U.

thanks!
It's the RAM ball that mounts directly into the unused mirror mount hole on the clutch perch. It's RAM part B-349U.
thanks!

UPDATE:

I received my custom earsets from Fit-Ear (https://www.fit-ear.com); I had them cast at AZ Bike Week. I'm in the middle of a lot of business trips, so I haven't had a chance to try them on the bike yet. I have been using them on the plane, and they have been fantastic. I typically watch movies (or MotoGP races, when I have them!) on my iPad, and I don't need to turn the volume up more than about 1/3. They also work very well at blocking out all the background noise, screaming kids, ceaseless chatterers, etc. So far, they have been worth every penny, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a custom set again.

UPDATE:

Finally got some seat time on the bike...The earsets are fantastic. The clarity, fit and comfort are top notch, the ability to hear the directions when I use the GPS app is great and I can safely say I wouldn't want to go back to earbuds or in-helmet speakers.

I have these as well. Good fit and noise isolation. However I cannot remove my Shoe XEleven or Arai full face helments without the stiff plastic speaker wire strain relief (where it exits the ear phone) hanging up on my helmet lining/padding and literally dragging the ear phones out of my ear which hurts like the dickens. Even grabbing the chin straps and trying to open the helmet up did not help. Finally gave up and went back to my Etymotoc ER6's. For me these fit further down into the ear I do not have the same problem. This molded plug fits more flush with the exterior part of the ear. So I would suggest if your looking at molded plugs this may be a factor to consider. The helmet interference problem is not covered in their warranty.

UPDATE:

The biggest issue I've run into so far is heat...Running the Garmin app sucks down the battery quick, so I usually leave it plugged in. The heat generated from charging, combined with the heat of leaving the display on has resulted in the "Temperature" warning coming on and the phone shutting off. I also moved my phone to the tank bag (I have a Joe Rocket Manta Bag with a top pocket sized perfectly for iPods/iPhones), and also had too much heat there. I have now changed out the Aqua Box for the RAM iPhone mount; I haven't used it with the Garmin app yet, but I like the smaller profile much better (will take pics later). I ran with it in 113* temps yesterday coming home from the office (display off, streaming music) and no shut down. Before I received the new mount, I was able to use the Garmin app if I shut the display off and relied solely on the turn by turn directions.

Now that I have had more time with the Garmin app (I've used while driving rental cars as well), it does OK as a general navigator, and gets me where I need to go, even in unfamiliar territory. The bad thing about if for motorcycle touring is that it cannot accept custom routes. I have started looking at other alternatives (like the new Garmin Montana), but one major issue (and not limited to the Sena, but to any Bluetooth communicator I've looked at) is the inability to stream music from the phone while getting directions from a GPS. While I hope there will be a firmware update in the future to address this, my guess its a limitation of the Bluetooth spec/radio hardware.

Yep, those smartphones do get hot when running gps while charging! I used mine last weekend in the cage for an hour or so with the ac running and when I pulled it out of the dock it was pretty toasty. I've ordered a RAM smartphone holder to try it on the bike for short trips on nice days. For long trips/iffy weather, I'll use the Garmin 2720. I can still answer the phone (if absolutely necessary) in my pocket with the Interphone headset. Just wish I'd gone for the 2730 so it'd have bluetooth also.

I just recently came back from a trip down to Florida.......I have an Iphone4 and attempted to use the Garmin app paired with the Sema. I found the Sema to be excellent in the call capacity, but like you it didnt work very often due to the heat issue. Luckly I had printed maps of the major cities I went through. I bought the new Cortech Dryver tank bag and GPS mount and it didnt last very long. Also FYI the map pocket on that tank bag isnt water proof.

Last edited by a moderator: