Connector Part Number

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300A

Reaction score
Ok, I have what might be considered a stupid question, but maybe someone can help.

I just bought an 08 FJR and I've disconnected the windshield retract with no problems due to a little searching of the forum. I would like to use the switched 12v connector to power a relay so that I can have a switched fuse block on the bike for accessories. So, I KNOW that many of you have hacked into the running lights or headlights for this purpose, and I know that on the Gen I bikes this connector was a loop that could be easily cut and converted into a connection to a relay. That being said, I don't want to cut into anything on my wiring harness to get switched power. I just had a major problem with my last bike and an intermittent electrical problem. I don't want to experience that ever again.

[SIZE=12pt]So here is my question...[/SIZE]

Does anyone know the part number, or have a source for a suitable connector (maybe a molex part) that I can wire up and plug directly into the now open windshield retract connection? (Yes I searched the forum, but had no luck even using google) If you can help I would GREATLY appreciate it!!

[SIZE=18pt]PART FOUND:[/SIZE]

The Part

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't there is a distinct part number for just a connector nor have we sourced the specific connector elsewhere. Most just tap into convenient existing wires. I use Posi-taps and never had a problem.

Ok, I have what might be considered a stupid question, but maybe someone can help.
I just bought an 08 FJR and I've disconnected the windshield retract with no problems due to a little searching of the forum. I would like to use the switched 12v connector to power a relay so that I can have a switched fuse block on the bike for accessories. So, I KNOW that many of you have hacked into the running lights or headlights for this purpose, and I know that on the Gen I bikes this connector was a loop that could be easily cut and converted into a connection to a relay. That being said, I don't want to cut into anything on my wiring harness to get switched power. I just had a major problem with my last bike and an intermittent electrical problem. I don't want to experience that ever again.

Does anyone know the part number, or have a source for a suitable connector (maybe a molex part) that I can wire up and plug directly into the now open windshield retract connection? (Yes I searched the forum, but had no luck even using google) If you can help I would GREATLY appreciate it!!
I hear what your saying. I would like to do the same thing with either the windshield retract plug or the heated grip plug. I'm going to tap into one of them, go to Datel volt gage, then go to relay.

I found these clicky at California Sport Touring, but I don't know if they will fit either of the two plugs I mentioned. I'm about to order them anyway to try because they're cheap. I will post here to let everyone know if they work.

A.C.

I found these clicky at California Sport Touring, but I don't know if they will fit either of the two plugs I mentioned. I'm about to order them anyway to try because they're cheap. I will post here to let everyone know if they work.
A.C.

That certainly looks more promising than anything I've found so far. I would be interested in hearing whether or not they work. Please keep me posted.

Clicky here

They have a multitude of connectors. I'm wiring all of my electronics that will reside on my N/Line shelf with one connector (multi tap) so that I can remove the shelf with little effort to work on the bike.

Good Luck

Just for some clarification, here are the connectors.

Windshield Retract (Male Side)

WRM.jpg

Windshield Retract (Female Side)

WRF.jpg

Windshield Retract (Female Side) (Pic 2)

WRF2.jpg

Similar connector on left side of bike (Maybe heated grips??)

HGM.jpg

Great minds think alike. The auto retract is a PITA and the connector already has switched 12V power, perfect for controlling your 12V 30A accessory power relay.

Here's what I did. I pushed the 12V switched connector back out of the plastic connector body and then used a female mini-spade type connector pin on my new wire running off to the relay. The connector pin itself has a little tab that needs to be depressed while the pin is pushed back. I have a bunch of the females laying around (a regular connector harem) so if you want a few just PM me your snaily and I'll send some along.

The ones I have are not insulated so you'll want to cover it with a piece of shrink tubing. If you ever decide to put the connector back to stock you just remove the shrink tube, pull apart the two pins and reinsert in the plastic body. In fact, if you wanted to you could just shrink wrap the new connector and then push that onto the male pin (you connector pimp) while still in the plastic body. Just that there's nothing to keep it from falling off at that point except the friction of the pins.

piccy:

2745683050098858932S425x425Q85.jpg

I did the same thing as FredW. Used a connector available at typical auto store to push onto the exposed male pin. I added a couple layers of heat shrink tubing to make the thing large enough to occupy all the space between the pins and to assure that they can never touch or wiggle.

The blue connector for the OEM heated grips comes directly off the headlight control relay and has capacity for about 30 watts of load. So if you are looking for a circuit up front that can power a GPS and RD, it will do nicely without the added hassle of another relay, fuse etc.

Just make sure you pick up a good ground somewhere. The opposite pin is not anything close to true ground.

Well so far I haven't found an acceptible connector to plug into the windshield retract from the many electronics suppliers on the web, but I came up with an alternative solution. It may be a little costly, but it's worth it to me for peace of mind. So here is my solution to this problem.

Yep, it's a kickstand from an FJR... (...Just not MY FJR. This is from an '04 actually.)

Kickstand.jpg

I spent some time browsing ebay and found this relatively cheap. I noticed that the connector for the switch was exactly what I was looking for.

Connector1.jpg

Connector2.jpg

So I snipped off the cord close to the switch and voila!

switchedpower.jpg

So while this may not be the most cost effective way to obtain a connector, it works for me. Hopefully someone will find an aftermarket source for others, but this will solve my problem. I just need to wire it to the relay now.

Nice job - I didn't even think of the sidestand switch connector. Now I'll be scouring eBay and the internet for cheap yamaha sidestand switches!

Nice job - I didn't even think of the sidestand switch connector. Now I'll be scouring eBay and the internet for cheap yamaha sidestand switches!
I pulled all the plastic except the actual upper cowling on my '08 looking for

the winshield retract connector and couldn't find it anywhere. There isn't

any panel on the top front to remove like some of the earlier versions.

Any further hints as to where it might be?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...shield++retract

This is the thread that helped me find it. It's underneath the speedo / vent (Panel B I think)

The best way to search for anything on this site is to go to google and type in what you're looking for in the following format.

windshield retract site:fjrforum.com

That will return the best search results. Good Luck.

A.C.
I didn't order, but if you look close they are different. I did find some 7/64", insulated, crimp-on, quick disconnects at Shit Shack. (like Fred W & JeffAshe did) clicky. Part # 64-3058. The package doesn't say but it has 2 (1/4), 2 (3/16), 2 (7/64), female connectors. The 7/64 fits the terminals in the OEM connectors nice and tight, plus it's insulated. So I'm going to push one of these on the OEM terminal, then fold the wire back and tape, or wire tie it to the connector so it can't be pulled out. I'll post pics when I do it.

A.C.

I did find some 7/64", insulated, crimp-on, quick disconnects at Shit Shack. (like Fred W & JeffAshe did) clicky. The package doesn't say but it has 2 (1/4), 2 (3/16), 2 (7/64), female connectors. The 7/64 fits the terminals in the OEM connectors nice and tight, plus it's insulated. So I'm going to push one of these on the OEM terminal, then fold the wire back and tape, or wire tie it to the connector so it can't be pulled out. I'll post pics when I do it.
A.C.

Sounds like a perfectly acceptible solution. Good luck.

So while this may not be the most cost effective way to obtain a connector, it works for me. Hopefully someone will find an aftermarket source for others, but this will solve my problem. I just need to wire it to the relay now.
I'm curious to learn how your project turned out. In your posts you informed us 'non-knowers' that the male portion of the connection contained the 'hot' switched positive power. And that you were able to find a substitute female connector from a sidestand switch, great find! I had been searching for a compatible female connector. Thank you. But out of curiosity's sake before I begin my own project, which of the two wires in the male portion actually is correct for obtaining switched power? From your photos, there appears to be a red wire and also a red w/ black stripe. Which did you connect to your relay?

Thanks

I'm curious to learn how your project turned out. In your posts you informed us 'non-knowers' that the male portion of the connection contained the 'hot' switched positive power. And that you were able to find a substitute female connector from a sidestand switch, great find! I had been searching for a compatible female connector. Thank you. But out of curiosity's sake before I begin my own project, which of the two wires in the male portion actually is correct for obtaining switched power? From your photos, there appears to be a red wire and also a red w/ black stripe. Which did you connect to your relay?

Thanks
I don't remember which pin specifically but here is the easiest way to tell. Turn the bike on, put the windshield all the way down, then check the voltage on the pins. One will be 0 and one will be 12-14v. That's the one you want. The other pin will also read ~12v if the windshield isn't all the way up or down. Hope that helps.

I don't remember which pin specifically but here is the easiest way to tell. Turn the bike on, put the windshield all the way down, then check the voltage on the pins. One will be 0 and one will be 12-14v. That's the one you want.
Thanks for the tip, this really helps. Following your instructions, will the "one I want" voltage fluctuate also with the height of the windshield? Or will it always be a constant 12-14v while the ignition is on? Thank you for your help.