FODS 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UberKul

Tire Assassin
Reaction score
Mark you calendars you dirty boys and girls! Sept 12-14th 2008 will be the second annual FJR Owners with Dualsports (FODS) gathering at the Sopiago Springs Resort just north of Hwy 88 in the beautiful Northern California Sierras. The founding father of this little brainchild was the late Andrew Knight (OrangevaleFJR), whose insight provoked a few frenzied bike sales as well as a new reason to get together for riding, eating, drinking and BS’ing (in reverse order).

The Venue belongs to a fellow FJR owner who runs with the Pashnit crowd as a guide and happens to own an aspiring motorcycle retreat. He’s Tim Regehr AKA The Other Tim and rather than try to discribe what his place has to offer the following link will get you to the Pashnit site which covers in detail and pictures the place with directions.

Pashnit gathering with our site info.

In case you forgot or are new to the idea we’ll follow Andrews format from last time.

Concept: Many FJR Riders are also buying, or already have dual sport bikes. The idea is for FJR owners that also DS to meet in Northern California to ride together. Could this really be a DS ride without an overnight stay in the Sierra? Load up your camping gear if you want to participate fully. If not, single day riders are welcome too. If you are a beginner Dual Sporter, you won't be alone. If you are experienced and this sounds fun, you are also welcome! If you are experienced and you feel comfortable sharing tips with newbies then you will be very, very welcome!!!

I would like to add that we will have all flavors of bikes and rides can be as easy or hard as riders feel comfortable. I would encourage riders to pair up and feel comfortable taking a few riders of similar ability on an adventure.

When: Friday Sept 12th-15th, 2008

Location: Sopiago Springs Resort, Hwy 88 & North-South Rd, near Pioneer, CA - Amador Co. elevation 4500 ft.

Along with the snazzy digs this location offers fantastic access to the Elkins Flat

and Gold Note OHV areas so you WILL NOT be lacking for trails to ride.

Fees:

For the low low price of ten dollars a day per bike and 15 per day to ride the track we also get all of the firewood we want, flush toilets, and hot showers.

Possible limitations: there may be restrictions on charcoal and wood fires. Gas stoves require a permit.

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/passes_permits/campfire.shtml

Camping: There is a great meadow separate from the RV sites for striking a tent and making camp.

Trailer Parking: YES there are campgrounds where trailers can be parked. From what I’ve seen anything short of a mobile home should be able to get down to and parked in a space. No hook-ups so fill your tanks before arrival.

Gas: Top off in Pioneer or bring cans. Last time folks negotiated with those driving to bring extra which worked well. Bring a little extra if you can, the barter system will be in full effect. As of 9/3/08 Cooks station gas pump is down for repairs. Amador Station, at the Insperation Dr. E. and Hwy 88 intersection will be the closest gas.

Food/drink: Bring your own or arrange for someone to bring enough for you. At the last FODS we had everything from canned soup to fresh surf and turf. I’ll be bringing a Coleman stove, large ice chest, lantern and basic camp utensils for anyone to use. We could use a gas/charcoal BBQ for those wishing to grill, volunteer?

I'll also be bringing:

2 cases of beer (Sierra Nevada and Pacifico), 2 cases of bottled water and some basic sandwich makings/chips.

The Rules:

Ride your own ride.

Pack it in, pack it out. If we piss-off our host we’ll be the scum of the W.W.W. and ostracized as motorcyclists in general.

Edit 8/16/08 The Rides:

A few possible routes, PM me and I will send them to you in GDB or GPX format.

The Calaveras Dome run (yellow track) is a great way to get your feet wet (not really there is a bridge) to a very scenic overlook. We can ride to the end of the road and then a short walk down to a grand view. I thought I might do this one on Friday afternoon/evening since it's short and sweet. Don't get too close to the edge if your afraid of heights. :shok:

352831702_7uuPx-XL.jpg

The Hwy 4 Loop (yellow track) is an all day run over paved and logging roads with Arnold as a turn around point where you can pick up some lunch. This is about 50/50 paved/dirt roads.

352831707_HVyon-XL.jpg

The Squaw Ridge (yellow track) run is great if your slant is more dirt trails. It has everything from easy 2-track to moderately difficult single track with small rock patches and ledges. This is not big bike approved unless your one bad mo-fo. I'm not taking the DR650 on this one only because I'm still running the crappy deathwings that came stock on the bike. If you are confortable on your bike and look forward to a challenge this run is for you. You old dirt bike guys won't even break a sweat. :dirol: Me and the Husky are running this on Sunday morning.

352831712_sFeGZ-XL.jpg

This party is in honor of OrangevaleFJR.

Who is in so far:

UberKul and UberWife

We are going to miss our friend Twowheelnut

Highlander(s?)

Weekend Rider

993 Pilot

Madmike2

Exskibum

Rogerc

Bluestreeks

Beemerdons and friends (#?)

SacramentoMike

JeffD and Mrs.D

Adam Reif

TheOtherTim (It's his place)

Those with questionable priorities. :huh: ;)

Khunajawdge (a KLR could be considered a trencher)

CAJW (emergency mover man)

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn right I'm in ! WTG Uber !!! :yahoo: I always seem to miss the Pashnit gatherings so now I'll at least check out The Other Tim's place !!

What about FJR owners with FJR's or Audi's????

of course that would be FOFA

R

Gonna have to make this. I met the other Tim on a ride down Hwy 96 over the 2005 July 4 weekend and he told me he was putting that resort together at the time. Sounds like a perfect place for FODS 2!!

Wow...

Great Idea for a group.

Have a DR 650 and and FJR and never have enough time to ride either.

Sept is a tough month for me at work but would love to make it.

I will start planning and see what happens.

Roger

993_pilot and Rogerc I'm putting you both down as coming using the power of positive thinking and assumptive approach. :D

If things change just let me know.

Rogerc if (when) you show up I might ask to throw a leg over your DR. It keeps calling my name as an adventure bike.

993_pilot and Rogerc I'm putting you both down as coming using the power of positive thinking and assumptive approach. :D If things change just let me know.

Rogerc if (when) you show up I might ask to throw a leg over your DR. It keeps calling my name as an adventure bike.
Hmmmm?? Good time of the year (for me), looks like a time when the weather might(?) cooperate, I "loves" to camp!

Uhhhhhh?? Gotta get a Kubota E 6010 or a KLR 650? Hmmm? Hmmm? It's only $$$ right?

"Maybe (?)" I'll be "in" on this ride scramble, or I'll be moving dirt! :cowboy:

UberKul,

No problem with riding the DR650.

I bought it used and can't really remember everything that has been added to it. Not a lot but enough.

Anyone else want to ride the DR just ask.

RC

IN! About 65 miles on the odometer so far on the new KLR, but I'll be building that up fast now so I'll have it all "broken in" by the time this comes along. Finding good roads and places to ride it will be a nice side benefit. Can't wait.

Still in.

Hey Brad, can we locate some good fire roads for us non-boulder busting types? That goat trail we did last year did me in and I had no business whatsoever being on it.

Yeah, I'm a wimp on dirt. Sue me. :p

Still in.
Hey Brad, can we locate some good fire roads for us non-boulder busting types? That goat trail we did last year did me in and I had no business whatsoever being on it.

Yeah, I'm a wimp on dirt. Sue me. :p
I second that motion! Some of are "fire roads" kind of guys.

Uhm...Tim, there are a number of great "semi-paved" (Read: rough pavement and potholes) roads between there and Murphys/Angels Camp to the South or Ham Station to the East. If your "exploring button" needs pushed.

I'm working up a few options/rides from super easy to moderately difficult. I could use a few "fire road guys" to pre run some routes with me since I've been accused of having a skewed view based on the Huskys uber-prowess as the ultimate dual-sport machine! ;) PM me and we'll set something up if you are interested but I'll be riding in NV the next few days.

I will have a big loop planned for Saturday that will be Strom friendly (paved/gravel roads). I would like to do a little warm-up toot to the top of Calaveras Dome Friday afternoon which I need a KLR rider (with V-Strom sensitivities) to help me rate. Sunday I was hoping to take a moderatly difficult route up Squaw Ridge to Silver Lake that a proficient rider on a KLR could make but not really for beginners or those wishing to keep their bike scratch free. The views alone are worth the effort on that last one and we can always spot folks in the technical sections.