• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTD - Steering Nut Wrench YU-33975

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
There are a whole bunch of different Yamahs that need the YU-33975 Steering Nut Wrench to adjust the preload on the head bearings. I would really rather send my money to support some local fella than Bike Jonny in the UK. For one thing I don't need a 19mm tool for my front fork. I already have a perfectly adequate spark plug wrench that does double duty. Plus, looking at their tool it doesn't look like something worth what they are charging.

I had considered hand fabricating one from some 1/4" steel stock I have laying around, but my crude hand tools would not result in anything special to look at. If one of you guys that has metal fabrication capability and expertise would turn out a clone of the Yamaha wrenches I seriously think you could make a nice chunk of change.

I imagine that if it was really pretty you could get even more than Jonny...

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a whole bunch of different Yamahs that need the YU-33975 Steering Nut Wrench to adjust the preload on the head bearings. I would really rather send my money to support some local fella than Bike Jonny in the UK. For one thing I don't need a 19mm tool for my front fork. I already have a perfectly adequate spark plug wrench that does double duty. Plus, looking at their tool it doesn't look like something worth what they are charging.
I had considered hand fabricating one from some 1/4" steel stock I have laying around, but my crude hand tools would not result in anything special to look at. If one of you guys that has metal fabrication capability and expertise would turn out a clone of the Yamaha wrenches I seriously think you could make a nice chunk of change.

I imagine that if it was really pretty you could get even more than Jonny...
Surely, your not suggesting infringing in on a PATENTED Yamaha product? Someone may frown upon that! I'll take 2 please! lol

I took accurate measurements of the nut and made an impression of it in cardboard so that I could weld 4 pieces of 1/4" bar stock on a deep socket to make a tool that could be used on a torque wrench without guessing.

What I forgot to measure was the height of the threaded steering stem the socket would have to clear.

I would be nice if a machinist could just castellate a deep socket so that it would just drop in the grooves of the nut.

I took accurate measurements of the nut and made an impression of it in cardboard so that I could weld 4 pieces of 1/4" bar stock on a deep socket to make a tool that could be used on a torque wrench without guessing.
What I forgot to measure was the height of the threaded steering stem the socket would have to clear.

I would be nice if a machinist could just castellate a deep socket so that it would just drop in the grooves of the nut.
Damn, your a smart guy! Just die grind down a deep socket with a cut off wheel a few mm to fit! Why didn't I think of that?! lol

Hey Fred

Get with me some time ,I think I can help you out with the manufacture of this tool .

I have the equipment to make what you want .

I might even make one for myself .

If someone has a drawing It would help.

Jarmo

Or you could try Wild Hair Accessories, IIRC, he wants $25 for the wrench.
There may be other options on this thread: Online Parts Sources, List of OEM Parts and Other Accessory Websites.

$20 from Wild Hair is much more like it! Thanks, Mike. I searched all afternoon and only came up with the Bike Johnny and Mamma Yamma references. At that price, and being domestic, it wouldn't be worth tooling up to make these unless you wanted to make some with an FJR Forum logo on them or something... ;)

The down side of ordering one from Wild Hair is they have lots of other goodies, if you know what I mean. :rolleyes:

I know a local guy that has a Bike Johnny wrench and would loan it to you :) I *really hope* that I won't be needing it for a while. If you were to trace the tool or measure it I'd never know ;) You will be impressed by how crude the BJ wrench is.

I know a local guy that has a Bike Johnny wrench and would loan it to you :) I *really hope* that I won't be needing it for a while. If you were to trace the tool or measure it I'd never know ;) You will be impressed by how crude the BJ wrench is.
Thanks for the offer, Ion. I knew I could shmooze you out of your wrench for a while, but I do want one of my own.

The picture of the one at Wild Hair looks a tad better than the pics I've seen of the one from BJ.

Wild Hair's

MeissnerSteeringTool.jpg

However, I note that it is made by Meissner in Germany, so I wonder if it is actually the very same wrench? It says it is some form of stainless steel. Is yours also? I wonder why they would use stainless to make a tool?

Wild Hair does market the tool made in Germany by Meissner (of Lenker Adapter fame) which sells here at Eur 8.99 (that's $13.88 in your neck of the woods).

I have one and it's indeed stainless steel. Meissner have a thing about stainless steel... :rolleyes:

Group buy anyone? I'm sure Meissner would give us a rebate on a group order and I'd carry the parts to the US when I visit in August, so the int'l shipping charges would be zilch point nada.

Stef

Wild Hair does market the tool made in Germany by Meissner (of Lenker Adapter fame) which sells here at Eur 8.99 (that's $13.88 in your neck of the woods).I have one and it's indeed stainless steel. Meissner have a thing about stainless steel... :rolleyes:

Group buy anyone? I'm sure Meissner would give us a rebate on a group order and I'd carry the parts to the US when I visit in August, so the int'l shipping charges would be zilch point nada.

Stef

Hmmm. I might bite?

Where abouts in the US will you be staying?

Raleigh, NC but it's actually immaterial. ;) Mailing each wrench to its buyer by USPS would only cost peanuts.

The only question is to have enough orders to warrant a better price from Meissner.

Stef

The picture of the one at Wild Hair looks a tad better than the pics I've seen of the one from BJ.
Wild Hair's

MeissnerSteeringTool.jpg

However, I note that it is made by Meissner in Germany, so I wonder if it is actually the very same wrench? It says it is some form of stainless steel. Is yours also? I wonder why they would use stainless to make a tool?
It is not the same. Yammi's is of a thicker, blackened steel - with a core of gold, of course - and an eight point socket hole. ;)

Wild Hair's

MeissnerSteeringTool.jpg

It is not the same. Yammi's is of a thicker, blackened steel - with a core of gold, of course - and an eight point socket hole. ;)
Yup, but neither is Bike Johnny's.

Damn, your a smart guy! Just die grind down a deep socket with a cut off wheel a few mm to fit! Why didn't I think of that?! lol
That's what I did... the stock Yamaha tool is an absolute bitch to use, and IMHO pretty poorly designed. I spent ages searching NAPA, Snap-On, and everywhere else before sacrificing one of my crap 24pt craftsman sockets.

That's what I did... the stock Yamaha tool is an absolute bitch to use, and IMHO pretty poorly designed. I spent ages searching NAPA, Snap-On, and everywhere else before sacrificing one of my crap 24pt craftsman sockets.
Huh? :huh: I find it well designed and quite easy to use. ****, it had better be for $60 bucks. <_<

Huh? :huh: I find it well designed and quite easy to use. ****, it had better be for $60 bucks. <_<
Well, it wouldn't stay on the extension bar, and I had to split my concentration between keeping it from slipping off the nut and having to keep the torque wrench in the proper orientation so I wouldn't get a false reading. With a socket-with-prongs you just slap it on there and torque it as necessary, plus I no longer had to use an extension. Much less hassle. And yes, I paid the $60 too, so I'm a little pissed about it.