• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTD - Steering Nut Wrench YU-33975

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it wouldn't stay on the extension bar, and I had to split my concentration between keeping it from slipping off the nut and having to keep the torque wrench in the proper orientation so I wouldn't get a false reading. With a socket-with-prongs you just slap it on there and torque it as necessary, plus I no longer had to use an extension. Much less hassle. And yes, I paid the $60 too, so I'm a little pissed about it.

Uh...going out on a limb since it's Friday-N-all. Tell me you're not a mechanic.

That's what I did... the stock Yamaha tool is an absolute bitch to use, and IMHO pretty poorly designed. I spent ages searching NAPA, Snap-On, and everywhere else before sacrificing one of my crap 24pt craftsman sockets.

What size 24pt Craftsman was that again?

Keep in mind if you use a modified socket to torque the nut, the Yammi spec goes out the door.

Wild Hair does market the tool made in Germany by Meissner (of Lenker Adapter fame) which sells here at Eur 8.99 (that's $13.88 in your neck of the woods).I have one and it's indeed stainless steel. Meissner have a thing about stainless steel... :rolleyes:

Group buy anyone? I'm sure Meissner would give us a rebate on a group order and I'd carry the parts to the US when I visit in August, so the int'l shipping charges would be zilch point nada.

Stef
I'm down for that. I need one anyway, will watch to see if this materializes.

Keep in mind if you use a modified socket to torque the nut, the Yammi spec goes out the door.
And that would be why, exactly?
A socket puts the centerline of the wrench directly over the centerline of the bolt. The steering spanner is placed so that the arm of the torque wrench is 90° to the length of the spanner. This puts the centerline of the wrench is roughly 2" away from the centerline of the steering nut :blink:

Try and prove that I didn't use Yami's wrench.
When the torque of the nut is wildly out of spec it would be a toss up to decide if the wrong wrench were used or if no torque wrench at all was used and someone used the general purpose goodentite specification.

Last edited by a moderator:
A socket puts the centerline of the wrench directly over the centerline of the bolt. The steering spanner is placed so that the arm of the torque wrench is 90° to the length of the spanner. This puts the centerline of the wrench is roughly 2" away from the centerline of the steering nut :blink:
And he meant to add: "which equals less torque than spec requires."

Ya know, I can see this discussion running the same course as the conveyor controversy.

I hope you washed those words very well before you put them in my mouth :p

I run (as many here now do) a set of tapered roller bearings in the neck, so the factory spec is irrelevant anyway. Even so, I found often that the factory torque spec was on the loose side, and good as a start point only in any case. If set to spec, often there would still be a knock coming up through the bars, another 1/8 to 1/4 turn was needed to firm things up. Too many of Yammis torque suggestions have been proven to be just that-leave the neck loose, and tighten the drain plug till the cyl head starts getting a bow in it. :glare: Too many stripped thread and broken assembly stories to believe otherwise. Use your head, apply common sense, and one is good to go.

Which door?

letsmakeadeal.jpg

Your supposed to keep it at a right angle to the torque wrench as to not increase torque value. No matter how long the adapter is, as long as it's at a right angle, torque does not change. Length is not inceased from TW handle to head. length changes when inline. If you put it inline, straight out from TW, it increases! If you aim it back, inline towards the handle, it decreases. There's a formula for it. Depends on how long the adapter is. I work on KSC shuttle program in quality and we're constantly wittnessing/verifying torquing operations.

Anyway, Yammie spec's stay the same if used properly!

https://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing...ue_wrench_1.htm

Your supposed to keep it at a right angle to the torque wrench as to not increase torque value. No matter how long the adapter is, as long as it's at a right angle, torque does not change. If you put it inline, straight out from TW, it increases! If you aim it back, inline towards the handle, it decreases. There's a formula for it. Depends on how long the adapter is. I work on KSC shuttle program in quality and we're constantly wittnessing/verifying torquing operations. Anyway, Yammie spec's stay the same used properly!
Huh? :huh: The pivot point determines that, not the wrenches angle to it. Remind me not to board your shuttle.

Hmmm... That statement is as clear as mud.

This deserves some exploration.

Clearly, if the torque wrench were in-line with the steering nut wrench then the added length of the arm vs the point of measurement being some fraction of the total would result in too much torque (more than spec) being applied to the nut, which is why most extensions of this type have some sort of a "correction factor".

But what happens when the wrench is 90 degrees offset? I would submit that the angle between the torque wrench and the extension will cause a reduction in the amplification of the added length, up to the point when the are perpendicular. At that point there is no amplification.

Google finds me this page complete with a bunch'a math to back up my theory.

Your supposed to keep it at a right angle to the torque wrench as to not increase torque value. No matter how long the adapter is, as long as it's at a right angle, torque does not change. If you put it inline, straight out from TW, it increases! If you aim it back, inline towards the handle, it decreases. There's a formula for it. Depends on how long the adapter is. I work on KSC shuttle program in quality and we're constantly wittnessing/verifying torquing operations. Anyway, Yammie spec's stay the same used properly!
Huh? :huh: The pivot point determines that, not the wrenches angle to it. Remind me not to board your shuttle.

Ruh roh... Time to get off the belt. This one has a real answer.

I suggest you do some research and prove me wrong then! Not just an opinion!