Brand new 2008 idle problem + oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pull10k

Reaction score
Hi all, just picked up my '08 1300A and I am having issues with idle. When I first start it it will stall right when you give it throttle. Also idle is rough and you can hear it burble and it is not smooth running. This is not under load or anything. It also does the same driving, stall right at a stop light. Start back up and stall under initial throttle. After significant warm up, 10 minutes driving or so, it stops happening.

I hesitate to take it right back to the dealer YET because I was told they handled FJR's all the time by the sales depo, but the mechanics actually told me they rarely EVER see a FJR. AWESOME!

Also I had 1 quart too much oil in the case right from the dealer. I did the hard break in and oil change at 50 and got 5 quarts out. I replaced it with rotella 15-40 and a pureone 14610. Oil was SHINY with metal. and dark.

If you know the NJ area I bought from Deptford Yamaha.

Now I don't know where to take it and if I got the screw. :(

Thanks.

I believe 'hard break-in' = motoman.

Check that the idle is 1,100 rpm. Recently there have been a lot of bikes delivered with the idle speed too low.

I'll clarify, I used the method on this page I'm linking to.

https://www.fjr1300.info/breakin.html

Yamaha's break in instructions are still followed by this method. Also Minuscule shavings in a brand new engine is usually normal, reading a lot of other posts.

Really I am asking about the idle problem, this has been there since pulling out of the dealer lot (thought it was me learning the new clutch feel) it has only been 5 days.

Also does the oil overfill mean anything to this? other than they really are morons....

Thanks

That idle is too low, i just started mine and it idled at 2k cold and 1100 when it warmed up.

R

Your dealers little oversight with the oil should have nothing to do with the idle problems.

Your idle speed is too low and is probably the cause of your problems. Use the idle speed adjuster and bring it up to 1,100 rpm when warm and you should be fine after that. I'm not privileged enough to own a fancy black '08 :( so all I can say is to check for the adjuster screw in the right side faring, above the clutch. In my '04 it is a small thumb adjuster well inside the fairing and I had to really look for it. The adjuster may not look like what you would expect. Um, does the owners manual say anything about it?

When the engine is stone cold and ambient isn't over 90 degrees your starting idle speed should be 1,500 to 2,000 rpm and then drop to 1,100 rpm when hot.

Your dealers little oversight with the oil should have nothing to do with the idle problems.
Your idle speed is too low and is probably the cause of your problems. Use the idle speed adjuster and bring it up to 1,100 rpm when warm and you should be fine after that. I'm not privileged enough to own a fancy black '08 :( so all I can say is to check for the adjuster screw in the right side faring, above the clutch. In my '04 it is a small thumb adjuster well inside the fairing and I had to really look for it. The adjuster may not look like what you would expect. Um, does the owners manual say anything about it?

When the engine is stone cold and ambient isn't over 90 degrees your starting idle speed should be 1,500 to 2,000 rpm and then drop to 1,100 rpm when hot.

On the Gen-2 bikes, it's between the right side fairing and engine bay - near the bottom of the tank. Look for a cable w/ phillips head on the end (you may need a flashlight). Clockwise to increase idle speed, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I don't know... if I got the screw.
wouldn't worry, just speed up the idle and enjoy.
Insert screw here!

Found the idle screw, easy enough, warmed up , rode 5 minutes, adjusted to exactly 1100 RPM and seemed better.

Took for a test spin, Still nice and warm.

Went to take a right onto a VERY busy street and gave it throttle, leaned a bit right to anticipate letting the clutch out.

Engine died flat. no RPM's nothing.

Problem is, I'm leaning slightly right, revved (I thought) the engine and let out my clutch.

I've been driving 15+ bikes for over 20 years, it is second nature.

Stall, DROP.

The fairing, mirror and side bags are muffed up. Along with a nice circular dent in the middle of my gas tank from my HEAD.

55 miles. 5 days old.

Before anyone thinks it does this every time, it doesn't. After picking it up I took it home and rode it up and down my street.

It idles and rev's fine. Then turn the throttle while stopped and very intermittently it just dies. Poof. No RPM's. like you hit the kill switch.

Filmed it.

Took it to my Yammy shop and got the manager directly. He came out and test drove it. stalled on him 5 times that I saw.

He is going to bat for me with this.

I have a lawyer in the wings. I hope I won't need him.

Lemon law is pretty liberal here too.

Wish me luck.

Thank god I wasn't trying to get out of the way of an 18 wheeler on a highway.

Concur with the above. Idle speed should be set at 1,100 rpm. Also if you are coming from a Big V-twin, the FJR typically has a little less torque at an idle-But only at an idle. You'll adapt & love it.

Found the idle screw, easy enough, warmed up , rode 5 minutes, adjusted to exactly 1100 RPM and seemed better....Engine died flat. no RPM's nothing...Stall, DROP....it just dies. Poof. No RPM's. like you hit the kill switch...Took it to my Yammy shop...the manager...came out and test drove it. stalled on him 5 times that I saw...
Concur with the above. Idle speed should be set at 1,100 rpm. Also if you are coming from a Big V-twin, the FJR typically has a little less torque at an idle-But only at an idle. You'll adapt & love it.
I believe that pull10k is suffering a bit of angst right now because setting idle to 1,100 rpm did not totally solve his problem.

Good luck pull, hope your dealer can make things right!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do understand the low end torque difference, Not a big adjustment, had many bikes before.

The bike DIES at the turn of the throttle, out of gear or in gear with clutch totally in.

What a safety issue. again my service Manager (the dealership manager also) was able to duplicate it both in and out of gear.

Problem still is it is damaged due to Yamaha's problem.

I do understand the low end torque difference, Not a big adjustment, had many bikes before.The bike DIES at the turn of the throttle, out of gear or in gear with clutch totally in.

What a safety issue. again my service Manager (the dealership manager also) was able to duplicate it both in and out of gear.

That sucks.

Good luck - hopefully they'll make you whole on the bike. Make sure to post what the problem is when they find it.

Fortunately - haven't had the same experience with my '08...... but that really stinks.

I do understand the low end torque difference, Not a big adjustment, had many bikes before.The bike DIES at the turn of the throttle, out of gear or in gear with clutch totally in.

yikes! at least it sounds like you've got a decent dealer there who didn't deny the problem.

best wishes,

murph

Hi all, just picked up my '08 1300A and I am having issues with idle. When I first start it it will stall right when you give it throttle. Also idle is rough and you can hear it burble and it is not smooth running. This is not under load or anything. It also does the same driving, stall right at a stop light. Start back up and stall under initial throttle. After significant warm up, 10 minutes driving or so, it stops happening. I hesitate to take it right back to the dealer YET because I was told they handled FJR's all the time by the sales depo, but the mechanics actually told me they rarely EVER see a FJR. AWESOME!

<SNIP>
FWIW, I had very similiar problems when I first got my 08. The idle was lower than I knew it should be (easy fix) and it would occasionaly stall on me when pulling from a stop light or if I "blipped" the throttle. When I turned the idle up it helped a lot, but it still wasn't completely happy. It seems that break-in and miles were the keys to getting mine to behave. With over 9K on it now, it works fine and my idle is right at 1100. My 05 never gave me troubles like this, but my 08 is running just as good as the 05 did now.

My suggestion: turn the idle up... maybe even a little over 1100 (to, say 1200/1250), ride it and get some miles on it and see if it gets better. If not, give it to a reputable dealer in your area and let them go through it. JMHO.