AAA service for a bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vectervp1

Reaction score
With the SPANK rally just around the corner, I've started to realize some sort of emergency road side assistance would be nice. Since alot of rally masters recommend using AAA maps for their rally's anyway, I looked to see what they cover on a Motorcycle. In order to get AAA to cover a bike you have to get the "AAA Plus RV" service. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Its about double what the regular membership is, so I'm just wondering if its worth it.

I choked on the price a bit and just went with the regular membership. I hoped my FJR has more miles in her and rolling the dice.

With the SPANK rally just around the corner, I've started to realize some sort of emergency road side assistance would be nice. Since alot of rally masters recommend using AAA maps for their rally's anyway, I looked to see what they cover on a Motorcycle. In order to get AAA to cover a bike you have to get the "AAA Plus RV" service. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Its about double what the regular membership is, so I'm just wondering if its worth it.
I have it - but have been lucky enough not to have to use it. You are right - you have to get the +RV coverage to get services on a bike. One word of warning - the AAA card needs to have this PRINTED on the card. Many providers will NOT pick you up without it. We had AAA send us cards 3 times before they got it correct.

I've had AAA for decades - don't use the road services very often anymore - seems now I can afford machines that don't break down.

I have the premier with the RV/Motorcycle coverage.

IMHO, all it takes is one breakdown- and the cost of the additional coverage becomes very cheap.

I'm too old to push the bike.

I recover the cost of my premier family (3 drivers) membership by using the AAA discounts whenever possible.

risk/reward. your call.

Four years ago I found out they didn't tow motorcycles at that time when I destroyed my rear tire. They were telling me they didn't cover bikes over the phone as I watched a AAA truck cart off a humongous SUV festooned with bicycles and kayaks and a roof rack full of crap. Now they want to charge you double what they charge that SUV. If you're stupid enough to take that offer, PM me 'cause I have an even better offer for you,.

I've got Shell Motorist's Club, which covers all my vehicles.

Here's what I have.

FWIW,

I have AAA Plus (No RV or motorcycle coverage) for myself & wife.

Out of curiosity I added the upgrade to my policy in their upgrade shopping cart (but didn't check out)

$15.00 to go from Plus to Premier

$11.25 to add RV & Motorcycle coverage

What I don't know is, if this is a pro-rated quote.

My policy date is Jan-Dec (currently expires Jan 1, 2007)

That KOA idea sounds like the way to go.

I choked on the price a bit and just went with the regular membership. I hoped my FJR has more miles in her and rolling the dice.
Yeah that was pretty much my reaction when I looked at the price. :eek: Somehow I felt like I was being violated.

I know this may seem trivial but a benefit I see to AAA over others is the free maps. It may sound silly, but when your looking at buying 10+ maps at $3.99 each, its expensive!

In my opinion, if you ride a motorcycle, you should belong to the AMA. And, if you belong to the AMA, you can buy their MOTOW insurance for $25 a year. This covers all your bikes with towing and comes with side benefits like hotel room coverage while your bike is disabled, gas delivery if you run out (you only pay for the gas), trip maps designed for motorcycles and other goodies. I even used it once to get my bike towed from my home to the shop when I couldn't get it started. It's well worth the money. For a few dollars extra, you can also cover all your cars and trailers too.

Here's what I have.
For the money this seems the way to go. We were just talking about towing services at WFO and I couldn't remember the name of this service, never had it myself either.

Quote:

* UNLIMITED towing!

* UNLIMITED emergency roadside labor!

* UNLIMITED lost-key/lock-out service!

* PLUS many other time-saving, money-saving benefits!

* $1,000 Trip Interruption Benefit

* $500 Arrest Bond Certificate*

* Custom Trip Routing

* A KOA Value Kard®

* Discounts at KOA Kampgrounds

* A KOA Directory Road Atlas & Kampground Guide

* Car Rental Discounts Nationwide

* Plus A Great Deal More!

Have you ever called them for towing? Just curious as to how good their service is?

What vehicle do tow services bring for a motorcycle, flat bed truck?

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed a flat bed tow truck with AAA all over the side yesterday.

Full dress Hardley on the back, didn't see it get loaded though.

I hope they have a winch for non-running bikes.

Could you imagine pushing your FJR up a ramp? :eek:

Here's what I have.
For the money this seems the way to go. We were just talking about towing services at WFO and I couldn't remember the name of this service, never had it myself either.

Have you ever called them for towing? Just curious as to how good their service is?

Yes, they will send a flat bed if that's what you tell them you want. I've used it once (wheel bearing on my Uni-Go) and they were very responsive. Took about an hour to get someone out. The owner of the tow company promptly closed up on us after getting us back to the shop, but I can't blame that on the Roadhelp folks. I guess everything closes at 6 in Des Moines; I fixed it the next day and we were on our way.

Hardest part was getting them to understand that the trailer was behind my bike, not under it.

Edit to add: The service covers you, not your car or bike. Any vehicle that you're a passenger in, or on, or borrowing is covered IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's what I have.
+1 and I actually used it with my FJR this past weekend - had to be towed 71 miles for a new tire!

Best Regards,

Shane

If you get caught out and don't have insurance many shops have M/C trailers and will come get you (for a price). And it's right there to be fixed.

When working for the police dept. I saw tow truck drivers come out and pick up a motorcycle when the guy went down and only had minor damage -- but when he got it on the "sling" with chains around the tank -- it was probably totaled.

Make sure they bring a flat bed or trailer. (Many tow companies have M/C trailers.

I had to use AAA for my previous bike. Bike's primary pulley was loose and I wasn't about to attempt to ride it to the shop. AAA showed up with a flatbed. I pushed the bike onto the bed. It was definitely a two person job.

The extra cost for this coverage is worth it for me.

One thing I like about AAA RV is that you can use it on any vehicle as long as you are there. A few years ago I was out with a couple of other bikes and one guy crashed. I was able to use my AAA to get him towed out. I know everyone should have their own coverage, but when they don't, and you are with them, your stuck too. Plus, I do sooooo like the maps. :D

I use them. Ran my little Guzzi out of gas once and out they came after about an hour with gas to get me to the next exit. It happened to be about 500 yards up the road up a hill and around a corner. Pleasant surprise when I fired up and 15 seconds later I was at the exit!

I have also used them numerous times to unlock my car when I have been out carousing only to lock my keys in the car.

Got one of them hidey thingums now.

I think they are worth the money.