FJR engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jride

Reaction score
I saw a video review of the R1. they said that the engine, well the whole bike had been redesigned and that the engine now had more torque and runs much smoother.

here is a link to it https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/new...yamaha-r1-test/

I would love to see them redesign the FJR engine to produce a smoother more powerfull engine. It doesn't need a higher top end but more grunt and running smoother would be great. Add to that cruise control and maybe gps and i think they would have an almost perfect st.

I know it is a great bike already but when i did the demo ride on an 09 it was a very buzzy bike which really was a big - to me.

the c14 was much smoother but it has -'s of its own so i am a little torn between the two. :dribble:

The "buzziness" is in the wrists and "hinder parts" of the beholder.

Yes, this engine has its harmonic issues, but it is less buzzy than my C-10 and about the same as my XS1100 was. At some point it is what you are used to.

I will admit that I was smitten by the looks of the FJR when I saw the pictures and ads in 2003 so I went and threw my money at the dealer and participated in the PDP for 2004. Personally, the buzz isn't a deal breaker for me.

In the long run, if there is going to be any major change it will probably be for the 2010 model year, if then, considering the state of the economy, etc. Of course that is a guess based on the approximate centers of model change for the FJR.

I hope they basically leave the engine alone. An improved air box design and smoother fuel mapping would be welcomed. But odds are that any mods to the engine will yield an even leaner-running, rougher transitioning power plant in the USA versions. The EPA is out to kill every performance engine made.

In the latest issue of Rider they review the new Monster 1000. Ducati used a new casting process on the motor that saved 7lbs in just the crankcases. More power wouldn't hurt, but a 50lb total weight loss would do wonders!

Me too. Can't believe I fell for this pile of shit bike like I have, goes to show how gullible I really am. Please, someone relieve me of the pain!

I hope they basically leave the engine alone. An improved air box design and smoother fuel mapping would be welcomed. But odds are that any mods to the engine will yield an even leaner-running, rougher transitioning power plant in the USA versions. The EPA is out to kill every performance engine made.
A new lighter & stiffer frame with a V-Max motor pleeeese! :wub:

I dream big guys! B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I must'a got a good one! Mine is strong, smooth as butter and gets about 50 mpg out on the road. It pulls like a tractor at about all rpms below red line, but lights up like a Saturn rocket at 3K. All this on regular gas. I feel sorry for those of you that got one made on a Monday or what ever day they're supposed to make lemons.

I must'a got a good one! Mine is strong, smooth as butter and gets about 50 mpg out on the road. It pulls like a tractor at about all rpms below red line, but lights up like a Saturn rocket at 3K. All this on regular gas. I feel sorry for those of you that got one made on a Monday or what ever day they're supposed to make lemons.
Methinks you are missing the point, everything can be improved. Well maybe not Eva Longoria, but that's a different matter.

The vibration is a major problem, and anyone who says their's doesn't do it just isn't admitting it. Kind of like wives can't hear rattles in cars. Almost all riders complain of their right hand going numb. Other than that, its virtually the perfect bike for me - which is why I still have it with 33,000 miles in less than three years. But I do hope they make a smoother engine.

I wonder if vibration is at least partly related to the individual bike. I've run my '07 for many hours on end on long trips and I've never experienced any notable vibrations, numb hands or butt. The only thing I really didn't like about the engine performance was the abrupt throttle response but the G2 got rid of most of that.

The vibration is a major problem, and anyone who says their's doesn't do it just isn't admitting it. Kind of like wives can't hear rattles in cars. Almost all riders complain of their right hand going numb. Other than that, its virtually the perfect bike for me - which is why I still have it with 33,000 miles in less than three years. But I do hope they make a smoother engine.
Mine has a little buzz but to call it a major problem is a bit foolish and don't have a problem with either hand going numb. You just need to learn relax and don't put to much weight on the bars. They are there to control the bike not to hold you up.

Me too. Can't believe I fell for this pile of shit bike like I have, goes to show how gullible I really am. Please, someone relieve me of the pain!
I am warming up the truck as I type. I just need you to PM me a copy of the title so I can submit it to customs 72hrs before I export it officially into Canada. We can work out the details of the bill of sale when I get down there. How's Wednesday look for you????

I am warming up the truck as I type. I just need you to PM me a copy of the title so I can submit it to customs 72hrs before I export it officially into Canada. We can work out the details of the bill of sale when I get down there. How's Wednesday look for you????
I'll spare you the hassle of all that export headache and even pay shipping. Please don't drop it on the ice when the transporter shows up to pick it up.

My vote is for the 1800 V-Max motor, 200 horse FJR!

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't need a higher top end
I see it the other way around, about 20-30 more mph on top, maybe 2-3k more RPM's to red line with a lot more balls getting there. The bike runs good for the heavy pig that it is but more and better power delivery would be nice IMO.