FJR engine

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost all riders complain of their right hand going numb.
Stay out of that 4500 rpm range that so many says is the magic speed for feeling such. Mine has no vibs what so ever.
Naw..., what we really need to do is re-calibrate the way we measure speed and RPM! If we simply switched the printed dials on both the tach and the speed-o, the speed-o would read a lot faster at lower gears...thus the tach would be reading less RPM and more torque as we advance through the gears? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess I just don't get it. If this is just something to niggle about because there is two feet of snow in the driveway, let's open a beer and get to hagglin'.

Everything vibrates, but my FJR does it a lot less than other motors I have owned and have ridden. My old '61 Sporty rattled and shook a whole lot more than my Feej, and even my R90/6 and K75, did, in descending order of magnitude. At age 21, I liked the vibrations of the Harley, like a true nature's child. But, ok, if there is a market out there for a motorcycle built to be even smoother, let her rip. The latest BMW K bikes are touted to be less vibratory, with more power, but I have no first hand experience to report.

The point about there always being room for improvement is well-taken, and "improvement" could include less vibration for some, especially if more power isn't needed or desired (especially at the expense of efficiency). As long as pistons are running up and down, or back and forth, there will be vibrations. The rotary Wankel engine was one answer, but it didn't sell well. IIRC , it was too heavy. Maybe a turbine or electric would be the answer for those who find the in-line four too shaky. If Yamaha asked me to improve the engine (ha ha), I would focus on better efficiency. 60 mpg with the same power on 87 octane would be a nice goal. Or the same performance with a smaller, lighter lump might be even better. As I understand it, Yammie is trying to improve the emissions of all their engines to meet European standards at present.

FWIW, the hand numbness effect is probably more a result of the angle of the wrist on the throttle, exacerbated by the stiffness of the throttle return spring, and the effects of weight on the joint, than any vibrations, real or imagined. I say this because I have used throttle return resistors, like the Throttlemeister, etc, for many years to mitigate wrist fatigue and, yes, paresthesia ("numbness" or "tingling") on several motorcycles. My old Harley's throttle didn't even have a return spring, and as much as it vibrated, hand paresthesia was never a problem.

I likee mine the way it came off the line, I am happy that it didnt come with built in Navi that way I can upgrade when needed. I came off a cruiser so this seems to have no buzzing IMO. I am with you on the cruise control but if it came standard that would be one less industry out there employing people aftermarket companies. Its nice to personalize your bike a little. :yahoo:

The vibration is a major problem, and anyone who says their's doesn't do it just isn't admitting it. Kind of like wives can't hear rattles in cars. Almost all riders complain of their right hand going numb. Other than that, its virtually the perfect bike for me - which is why I still have it with 33,000 miles in less than three years. But I do hope they make a smoother engine.
I've never understood all the complaints on buzziness........ For me it is part of the experience, deal with it. Many ways to lessen or eliminate or increase the amount of buzz you feel and where in the rev band. I'm sure it varies from bike to bike, but as far as I'm concerned being strapped to a 140+HP inline 4, I better feel some buzz........... Right nand numbness is as others mentioned due to stiff throttle spring.

But who am I to say anything, I thought my C-10 Concours was fine too :yahoo:

Well, I can't speak to any problems with the 2nd gen engine, but as far as I'm concerned Yamaha got the engine right the first time. I hope they don't touch it. The one thing that would make it a "better" bike to me would be to go on a major titanium diet and lose 50-60 lbs. Of course I also don't want them to reduce the high speed highway stability of the bike in the process. Yes, I want my cake and to eat it too. ;)

Oh, and I don't think your right hand goes numb from vibration. It's your death grip on the throttle. If it was vibration then why wouldn't your left hand go numb?

Me too. Can't believe I fell for this pile of shit bike like I have, goes to show how gullible I really am. Please, someone relieve me of the pain!
I am warming up the truck as I type. I just need you to PM me a copy of the title so I can submit it to customs 72hrs before I export it officially into Canada. We can work out the details of the bill of sale when I get down there. How's Wednesday look for you????
See awesome news in post below!! Wow!! Sham Wow!!!!

Me too. Can't believe I fell for this pile of shit bike like I have, goes to show how gullible I really am. Please, someone relieve me of the pain!
I am warming up the truck as I type. I just need you to PM me a copy of the title so I can submit it to customs 72hrs before I export it officially into Canada. We can work out the details of the bill of sale when I get down there. How's Wednesday look for you????
I'll spare you the hassle of all that export headache and even pay shipping. Please don't drop it on the ice when the transporter shows up to pick it up.

My vote is for the 1800 V-Max motor, 200 horse FJR!
I'll get back to ya's soon-right now I got a Sierra Leone sweetie with a load 'a dough to give away on the phone, soon as she has my bank info, I'll be giving him away! Looks like today's my day!

The vibration is a major problem, and anyone who says their's doesn't do it just isn't admitting it. Kind of like wives can't hear rattles in cars. Almost all riders complain of their right hand going numb. Other than that, its virtually the perfect bike for me - which is why I still have it with 33,000 miles in less than three years. But I do hope they make a smoother engine.
I've never understood all the complaints on buzziness........ For me it is part of the experience, deal with it. Many ways to lessen or eliminate or increase the amount of buzz you feel and where in the rev band. I'm sure it varies from bike to bike, but as far as I'm concerned being strapped to a 140+HP inline 4, I better feel some buzz........... Right nand numbness is as others mentioned due to stiff throttle spring.

But who am I to say anything, I thought my C-10 Concours was fine too :yahoo:
No, it's not due to the stiff throttle spring - I've fixed that. It's due to vibration. It's there and it's real. There are various factors at work. How fast you ride is one (it's rpm sensitive). It depends on which gloves I'm wearing as to how bad it feels to me.

I realize that different people will be effected differently - just like seat comfort. You say "deal with it". Read my post again. I love the bike and have dealt with it for 33,000 miles. But that doesn't mean it's not an issue and shouldn't be addressed. Go ride a C14 and then tell me that it's just part of the deal.

BTW, I don't buy that some do it and some don't. Anyone who understands the issue knows that it is inherent in the design of the engine. Without changing the firing sequence, internal reciprocating parts, and/or adding counter balancing it's not going away just as bike-to-bike variances.

Please understand I'm not bashing the bike or anyone on the forum. I love the bike. And I also understand that some folks will be more tolerant, or may simply not notice it as much as other people.

It's not just the throttle spring. It's how hard you are gripping the throttle. If you loosen your death grip on the right bar then any amount of vibration will still not effect your wrist. Try learning to use a Throttle rocker. I know some folks don't like them, But it is one sure-fire way to be able to loosen up that right hand.

You wouldn't be left handed by any chance, would you? (Serious question)

Oh, and the Honda ST is reported to be smoother with less vibration that an FJR too. No thanks. I'll stick with the feejer!

I don't get numbness in my hands as much as I did before I got the risers. I still get numbness when I'm riding very early in the day, circulatory system not quite into the whole "awake" thing probably.

Throttle body sync may be something to look into for some kinds of buzziness.

I also know for a fact that my bike is not as smooth as most other FJRs I've been around. That ain't many, but mine was the roughest. Even so, my brother raved about its smoothness when riding it after coming off his Honda VTR1000 Superhawk.

Actually they already DID redesign the motor. Similar dispalcement, but they made it a VTwin. Problem was the vibes were so bad they had to rubber mount it and the side cases still cracked and fell off. The engine is still available but they market it under the HD branded motorcycles and decided to stick with what they had.

:)

In 30 years and many bikes I've never had one as smooth as my '06 FJR. Power? at 5000 rpm in first it will burn the tire or stand up wheelie depending on where you sit. Anything over 140 gives me tunnel vision at my age. If you need more than that get a Bus. I'm happy with the stock shield- it's a bike, not a Caddy. And good looking like Eva too, but yes even she could be improved[not getting any younger]. A diet of 50 lbs would be a good place to start- the FJR, not her.

Vibration ,,,,,, more torque ,,,, more power ,,???? :unsure:

Don't know what you guys have been riding ,,, But the FJR is the best I've ridden so far..

I think I'll just keep mine the was it is,,, :yahoo:

Vibration ,,,,,, more torque ,,,, more power ,,???? :unsure:
Don't know what you guys have been riding ,,, But the FJR is the best I've ridden so far..

I think I'll just keep mine the was it is,,, :yahoo:

+1

Couldn't agree more. Vibration has never been an issue for me either. But I can remember my ol' XS650 Heritage Special....now that had handlebar vibration!! The FJR is very, very smooth in all areas. Mine's a keeper also. :D

I've never understood all the complaints on buzziness........ For me it is part of the experience, deal with it.
I will throw in my 2 cents worth... :rolleyes:

The phrase "For me it is part of the experience, deal with it." reminds me of the attitudes of American auto makers over the past few decades. I think earlier Harley riders said the same thing about oil leaks and their continued breakdowns. We want the FJR to progress, improve, be vialable and continue to compete - yes?

What is needed is perpective. The FJR motor is fantastic. I love the engine in mine. Can it be improved? Why of course.

You have to compare the FJR to its competitors today. You have to realize that the bike is now competing against a whole new playing field. Truthfully, from a smoothness "lack of vibration" perspective - it is not as good as the BWM, the Kawi, or the Honda. From a power perspecitive, with the exception of the Honda, they all make more power.

The FJR will either continue to develop, improve and compete in its market or will cease to exist. A good example is the Concours C10. That bike had virtually no changes over 20 years and sales were just about non-existant in the end. They couldn't hardly give away the 2006 models.

Random thoughts..

I must be one of the odd ones...I like my FJR just the way it is. B)
That's probably due to the fact that it's the best model made to date....

word.gif