Lowering The Fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galxy5

galxy5
Reaction score
ok,, here's the deal,,

I am feeling to high at stops and I am about to have a Yammi/Corbin seat on,,

I have been fighting this as I hoped it would just go away after I had gotten used to the bike,, but it has not,, so I want to lower it,, I have read a few threads on this but would like to hear from some others about their experience,,

and if you have any new suggestions for the procedure,, and parts,,

I am feeling to high at stops...
Lay off the drugs.

I have been fighting this as I hoped it would just go away...
Try a 12 step program.

so I want to lower it,, I have read a few threads on this but would like to hear from some others about their experience,,and if you have any new suggestions for the procedure,, and parts,,
Sorry (NOT!) for the wise cracks, but you did leave the door open... ;)

Dog bones, fork tube height setting and ride (shock) height adjustments seem to be the most popular changes. MCML lowered his by 1/2" IIRC when he went to the Wilbers shock and springs.

The only negative I've seen is that she'll scrape her hard bits quicker in the corners than stock height.

Too, I had my Mayer saddle increased in height so, your idea about the saddle is moving in the right direction. I would, recommend checking into having it custom fit (lowered) before you change the suspension.

Why Yamaha has not done the adjustable seat height ala BMW & Honda, I'll never know...

See someone about the drug problem, too... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ok ok ok,,,,

I am sorry that I have big muscular thighs and calves,, and am having trouble reaching the ground flat footed,,,it's not a problem with the ladies!!

BTW,,, drugs never gave me as much pleasure as ,,, riding in the wind ,,

make sure you tell my AA guru I said that,,,,

ok,,, forks down how much in relation to the dogbones,, ie;; dogbone 1" lower ,,same amount for fork adjustment,,,yes???

now where do I get said bones,,, and no I'm am not taking them away from Pudge,, my 160 pound American Pit Bull ,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ran across this tonight regarding raising or lowering the FJR. I don't know if this is what you are looking for. I didn't take much time to research any how to's but her is the link. Wild Hair Accessories Let me know if you find it helpful.

mo

galxy5,

There has been a lot of rehashing about the lowering on the "other" sites.

I've had my FJR lowered for a year now. There will be a lot of nay-sayers telling you it's dangerous.

I went through the usual. Thick soles meant trouble shifting. Cowboy boots don't help the grip with the balls of your feet. Soft soles help.

I purchased a large gell pad ($75)& took it to the local boat upholsterer. He cut the seat down to an inch thickness, then cut a one inch deep pocket out and placed the gell pad right on the seat base. He shaped the front to make it slimmer when standing. He covered the gell with a 1/4 inch cloth & foam and reused the stock vinyl ($50).

I bought longer links (About $100) to drop the stock rear shock one inch from Wild Hair. Because of the additional leverage, the shock became way too soft. I then added a 1/4 inch spacer that HMarc was selling to keep from bottoming.

To compensate at the front I raised the forks in the triple tree a maximum of 12 mm as recommended by the FJ club in England. They also sell links.

Recently I purchased a Wilbers shock that is shorter by an inch (but with the adjustability to be raised one inch to stock). I'm keeping my links and stock shock for future rebuilding of the Wilbers.

I'm not a curve bandit and ride two up all the time. I haven't scraped the pegs yet, but YMMV. You also could learn to hang off.

If you want to make your own links, PM me for the dimensions.

Don't even think of using any existing fork braces with the front lowered 12mm.

The sidestand will need to be spaced out with washers or,as I did, grind the stop so the stand goes past center and allows the bike to lean properly.

The centerstand is do-able but is more difficult, especially with luggage. To make it easy, use a 6 inch long 2x6 under the rear wheel.

dobias

Okay-1st-I am short (5'3" with a 29" inseam). I do not necessarily want to lower the FJR. I had the seat shaved and am on the balls of my feet most of the time. I met a nice young man up at Wolf Pen one day and he told me about the Wilburs. Since I am not the most mechanically incline individual, I would like a "laymans" explanation of how they work and where I can get some. Thanks for any help :(

isisonaride,

Just what do you want to know about Wilbers? You can go to the WilbersUSA.com website & ask Klaus any details.

If you don't want to lower the bike you would get a standard length shock. The spring is selected for the maximum weight your bike would have on it. An option is a hydraulic adjustment knob to increase the preload without crawling under with a wrench. Another option is a compression module that fine tunes the ride, mainly for anal retentive riders or racers. There is shorter or longer shocks available and they can, optionally, be made adjustable in length.

With your small size I wonder why you want to change to an expensive Wilbers.

The stock shock would not be over burdened unless you carry a passenger & a lot of luggage.

Those of us that have need for a better shock are heavy weights or are fast riders.

dobias

isisonaride,Just what do you want to know about Wilbers? You can go to the WilbersUSA.com website & ask Klaus any details.

If you don't want to lower the bike you would get a standard length shock. The spring is selected for the maximum weight your bike would have on it. An option is a hydraulic adjustment knob to increase the preload without crawling under with a wrench. Another option is a compression module that fine tunes the ride, mainly for anal retentive riders or racers. There is shorter or longer shocks available and they can, optionally, be made adjustable in length.

With your small size I wonder why you want to change to an expensive Wilbers.

The stock shock would not be over burdened unless you carry a passenger & a lot of luggage.

Those of us that have need for a better shock are heavy weights or are fast riders.

dobias
I am looking to get a bit more flat footed. I dont race, though I do like the twisties at Deals gap and Wolf Pen. I ride solo--I am basically looking for something that will bring me down just a bit-sometimes I just dont have the reach (depending on the terrain) to get a good stance on the bike.

I have 27 1/2 " inseam. I think that is the most important measure of "is it too high ?".

I sent my stock seat to Sargent Cycle in Jacksonville,FL and had them re-foam it make it lower,narrower and closer to the tank (seating position). I have ridden the bike ~15,000 miles since without a problem.

Of course,I have to watch the terrain when I stop but I haven't dropped it.

Now,with the Wilbers and sag set correctly,it leans over on the side stand further and it is sometimes quite dificult to push it up with so little leverage. On the other hand,I no longer scrape things when I get aggressive and it rides better,turns in quicker and is more comfortable.

The best answer,by FAR,for short legged people is to lower the seat,not the ride height.

I have 27 1/2 " inseam. I think that is the most important measure of "is it too high ?".
I sent my stock seat to Sargent Cycle in Jacksonville,FL and had them re-foam it make it lower,narrower and closer to the tank (seating position). I have ridden the bike ~15,000 miles since without a problem.

Of course,I have to watch the terrain when I stop but I haven't dropped it.

Now,with the Wilbers and sag set correctly,it leans over on the side stand further and it is sometimes quite dificult to push it up with so little leverage. On the other hand,I no longer scrape things when I get aggressive and it rides better,turns in quicker and is more comfortable.

The best answer,by FAR,for short legged people is to lower the seat,not the ride height.
How long did it take Sargent to redo the seat for you? I would hate to be without a seat on my baby-maybe something I will do when it is in for the winter-I hear it gets cold out west.

Have you tried using softer air? The air you get at service stations or from a home compressor has not been processed and is very hard unless you have an air softener installed. (Chances are you have a water softener for your water) If you will spring for a few bucks you can buy processed (softened) air and your bike won't be as tall. If you buy the air at your local hardware store, be sure the container says "factory softened with the finest ingredients" and it should contain a minimum of 30% industrial strength "fluffy factor." :haha:

a compression module that fine tunes the ride, mainly for anal retentive riders or racers
Why Dobias, the 56 people who ordered the Wilbers option you so flippantly disparage will sure be pleased to hear your learned opinion. :****:

And incidentally, a better shock than the Yamaha OEM one would benefit any rider, whether they be 5'3" or 6'5", 120 or 240 lbs.

Stef

Sargent Cycle recycled my seat in about two weeks. Contact them and/or visit www.sargentcycle.com for their current schedule.

By the way, Wilbers is magic. The bike rides better in every way since I added the 643 and set the sag-in my case,bags off. I have not changed the comp/rebound from the way it arrived.

For what it's worth,when touring (with ~80 lbs of stuff),I added 3 clicks (1 1/2 turns) of preload and eveything seems fine.

I cut my own seat down and reinserted some "astronaut foam" in about 2 hours. I narrowed the standing up area of the seat and lowered the butt part of the seat. It helped get my 28 inch inseam legs to the ground. With boots on, I have no problem.

With the stock shock, even at 200 pounds, I don't think the sag or the ride of the stock shock was good for me. With the Wilbers (which was easy to install), I have a nice sag and a cushy ride, if I want it.

I got the 1/2 lowerable shock, but haven't lowered it. I find the seat change and the shock change adequate for my purposes. I could drop the forks in the front a little, but heck, I'm too busy having fun riding to make any more changes.

Thanks for all the help. I will try contacting Sargent and work on the seat. I still love my bike--just have to watch the terrain. Being vertically challenged means being more observant. :dribble:

Steph,

I guess I have to start to use the little smiley faces more often. Disparage? I'm just glad I don't have to use the wrench because of my hydraulic adjuster. I even enjoy the compression adjustments.......but I admit I'm Anal Retentive (besides being overweight).

I just couldn't see a small gal needing to spend $1,000 for very little benefit for her weight and riding style.

dobias :haha:

(there, is that better?)