Home Brew Mirror Extensions for Gen II

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scmagna

Reaction score
There were some posts about this a long time ago. Here are my home-made mirror extensions. They make it possible to see what is directly behind me instead of just to the right and left. I have more pics if anyone is interested.

Original on the left, with bracket on the right. The bracket moves the mirror up, out and back.

027Small.jpg

With both extensions installed.

028Small.jpg

030Small.jpg

Another benefit is that now I can rotate my mirrors without scraping them against my CalSci shield.

I might be interested. I was just riding yesterday and was thinking about the FZ mirrors but how I like the look of the Gen stalks.

[SIZE=36pt]EXCELLENT!![/SIZE]

mrburns.jpg

You definitely should consider production....and don't ignore us poor Gen I folks. :D

That'll teach you scmagna... ;) You come in looking to share inspiration and ideas, and here we nominate you to do a production run... :D

I blame Howie - he's such a dumba$$... he claims to NOT have plans to farkle his Gen I, but in reality, he's collecting farkles. His goal: To rebuilt his Gen I into a Gen III - bypassing Gen II completely - all through the addition of farkles!

It's true... he has a plan, too... a dastardly plan... all mapped out on a roll of toilet paper in his outhouse...

(Actual pic of RadioHowie, after dinner, refining his plan...)

dastardly.jpg

I only had a drill press, a miter saw, a file and sandpaper to make this first set. Pretty labor intensive. I work with some machinists, so I will ask them for an estimate based on some minimum quantity. If it isn't prohibitively expensive, we could consider powder coating, or whatever.

Also, if you look closely at the side view of the bike, you will see that the aluminum blocks extend a little past the fairing edge. Some people might think this looks funky. Here is a somewhat clearer picture (the finish is better than it looks in the pic).

025Smalll.jpg

Right now, the brackets move the mirror mounting holes about 1.5" "back" and 1.5" "out" from their original mounts. I could shorten them so they don't extend beyond the fairing, but then they would lose some of their utility. The "back" offset would have to be shortened to about .75", but the "out" dimension could be extended some to compensate. The front corners are roughly spherical on mine, but that detail could be changed too, if someone has a better idea. Aesthetics are not necessarily my forte, but I like these just fine.