Comply NR 10 Earphone Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyGoose

Reaction score
I started an earlier thread I cant hear you!! trying to get some recommendations for a good set of noise cancelling headphones. One of the forum members sent me a link to these and i ended out ordering them. Thought i give a quick review for any interested parties.

the comply headphones claim a 48db noise reduction (which most or the forum responders doubted). Just to clear up any confustion on the 48dB claim, The 48dB is the most sound the NR-10 will reduce in a specific frequency (not the Noise Reduction Rating which you are referring to with the earplugs (NRR 32)). An official NRR is determined by testing across the entire frequency spectrum and combining the dB reduction from each specific frequency together for an average dB reduction. NR-10 tested and it came back NRR 29 (better than active canceling headphones).

The unit has a small plastic piece inside of each earpiece that threads onto the heaphone. There a plus and a minus to this. the plus is that the earpiece wont easily come off the headphone piece. the downside is that the shaft that holds the earpiece tends to be a little longer than a typical earpiece. My biggest concern when ordering was that they'd stick too far out of my ears for my helmut to clear. I can now say that it was not an issue. each headphone piece is specifically designed for a particular ear and has a slight curve to it that helps keep it close to your head. the unit comes with a set of large and a set of small earplugs made of some pretty substantial material thats denser than what most of us are accustom to with foam plugs. I have to use the large set to keep these things in my ears, but the fit is snug enough to stay in when i pull my helmut over them. They do require me to reset them back in each time i take my helmut off.

The overall sound is pretty much as what the reviewers of the product have been saying. The sound a bit bassy at rest, but i felt that was an advantage since bass is what we tend to lose "at speed". that remained true with this unit, but the sound was quite good. It also has a volume control in the line, which is a definite plus.

When i took these things out for a test drive, I felt the seal and the overall comfort was good. My plan is to use this with my garmin 765t so i can take advantage of the mp3 player and diligently follow gps jills audible instructions. I had to set my navigation prompts to 70% volume and my audio (mp3) volume to 50%, with my master volume on 100%. I was then able to turn the volume in the line up to 100% and comfortably listen to music and GPS jill at all speeds below triple digits. I only want to use the inline volume control to turn things all way down or all the way up (so these settings seem to work great). the inline control is small , so manipulating this while riding is not recommended.

Theirs no way for me to tell if these things actually reduced noise to NRR29db, but overall they did a nice job. I wear custom made plugs 95% of the time and i could tell that i didnt get as much block as the custom plugs (which i wasnt expecting them to) but did get a large dose of noise reduction similiar to any other type of foam plug i've worn in the past.

Bottom Line: I think these earphones deliver what they promise. Descent sound , confortable fit, good value, and good noise reducing qualities. I still have concerns over comfort on all day rides, so i'll update the review when i make that happen.

Cost is listed as 80.00. i bought mine off ebay for 55 (includeing shipping).

If anyone has any questions, you know where to find me.

GreyGoose

IF102_lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review.

Correction... "Comply" makes replacement ear buds covers for any ear buds. I have them on my skull candys. Comply

My opinion is they are really comfortable for all day riding. The gripe that they come out when you pull your helmet off is partially true. However, please remember that the upward direction is the natural way for ear plugs to be removed.

There is a thread on this site somewhere that discusses using tripple antibiotic cream as a lubricant and to prevent damage to your ear. I found this to be true for all day and multipule day riding, but the Comply ear bud covers are more comfortable on short rides without lubricant.

My two cents.

brian

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the foam tips with other earplugs (ER6's, earplugs) and on found that eventually they lose the ability to expand to fill the ear canal, to the point were a couple days into a trip they don't block sound anymore.

Is that also the case with these? At $14/pair it isn't feasible to carry a bag of them.

I've used their replacement foam tips on various sets of earbuds and they do work well.

I prefer the silicone type (like on my Etymotic ER6s) since they can be washed. The foam ones tend to act like sponges in your ear, absorbing your ear juices and geting pretty disgusting after a couple of weeks.

At $4/pair this can get pretty pricey.

I have used the foam tips with other earplugs (ER6's, earplugs) and on found that eventually they lose the ability to expand to fill the ear canal, to the point were a couple days into a trip they don't block sound anymore.
Is that also the case with these? At $14/pair it isn't feasible to carry a bag of them.
You get 3 sets of plugs for 14 bucks and 5 sets for 19 bucks. I can comment on durabililty yet and probably wont be the best resource for that information. My plan is to use these plugs on long trips (which are only about 3 a year) to listen to tunes and get gps directions. Most other times i use my custom plugs. I'll check back after my upcoming trip and report how they withstand four 8 hour saddle days (along with comfortability). I get the feeling that these plugs are like most of the other stuff we discuss (i.e. everyone is different and its hard to find something that universally works for everyone).

GreyGoose

I wanted to try the Comply buds cause the silicone ones on the SkullCandy are pretty bad (for me anyway). No matter what size tip I use, if my head moves even slightly inside the helmet, they produce a loud clicking sound.

Oh geez, did I start something? :D

Great write up - clikcing the link reminded me to check ebay for these, too. :)

I thought id revisit this thread since i recently put these to the real world test. We should probably seperate out the ear phones from the ear buds. I'm not going to review the ear phones (nr-10s) since sound quality relies too much on personal taste. Do on with the ear buds:

I just got back from a 4 day trip and had these things in my ears 8 hours a day.

Noise reduction: These do an excellent job of reducing road/wind noise. they dont quite compare to my custom made plugs, but it was close. Having them in allowed me to run my mp3 player and gps at 60% volume levels and hear just fine at all speeds. Its important to note that you have to get these plugs seated properly for them to work. You really need to get them seated deeply into your ear for optimum performance.

Comfort: I was a little dissapointed at this aspect of the plug. I was confortable for a longer period of time that a normal earplug, but still wasnt optimum for all day use. After a couple of hours, i wanted a break.

Durability: For the cost, i think the plugs should be a bit more durable. the ones i used on my trip are still good, but you can tell that its starting to lose its ability to be compressed. If i stayed on course wth my 8 hour days and pulling these plugs in and out of my ears 10 x per day, i may have gotten another 5 days out of them. Given the cost (about 5 bucks a pair), this could get pricey

Bottom line: This was not "the fix" i was hoping for. They work well, but overall comfort and durability remains as issue. The definitly work better that regular plugs for this application, but i'm probably headed down the route of custom make plugs with speakers inside them.

Hope this information helps with anyone considering these ear buds . the following ear phones will accept the comply ear buds:

Centrios™

Passive Noise Reduction Earphones

Comply™

NR-1 Noise Reduction Earphones

NR-10 Noise Reduction Earphones

NR-10i Noise Reduction Earphones with Mic for iPhone™

NR-1CM Hands-Free Mobile Phone Earset

NR-1CS Stereo MP3/Mobile Phone Earset

Etymotic Research

ER-4 microPro™ 4B

ER-4 microPro™ 4S

ER-4 microPro™ 4P