How to put the Yamaha touring trunk to good use

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTFJR13

Reaction score
Well like many of you here I have had a hard time deciding which trunk to buy(aftermarket has more storage space but the OEM one matches my paint and one key works on the whole bike) givi,shad,coocase,yamaha touring trunk but I got a good deal on the Yamaha touring trunk(from someone on this forum) so that is the one I finally decided on. But as the owners of these cases know the top is almost half as deep as the bottom. So you kinda loose some storage space like that unless you can pile everything in the bottom and close the lid without anything trying to fall out. Plus I needed to use every bit of space in the sidebags and trunk so my wife and I could do a motorcycle camping trip so this is what I did. I took a small bungee net and mounted it to the trunk lid so I could use the space better. Here are some pics.

1CAMPINGTRIP2010009.jpg

1CAMPINGTRIP2010008.jpg

So this made it easier to carry the tent,sleeping bags,hatchet,small air matresses and pillows in the trunk and then we had the side bags for cloths and other items. It work really well. What do you do to make the most of your storage space.

Eric

Great set up. If you're old enough to remember Fibber McGee's closet, that's what a full top case can be like after riding a while. My last FJR had one; this one doesn't. If I still had the box, this would be my very next mod. You should explain how the net is fastened inside, Eric. Might help somebody visualize it.

I haven't bought a trunk yet, like you I was weighing my options and trying to make a decision. I really like what you did to the Yamaha trunk.

Well like many of you here I have had a hard time deciding which trunk to buy(aftermarket has more storage space but the OEM one matches my paint and one key works on the whole bike) givi,shad,coocase,yamaha touring trunk but I got a good deal on the Yamaha touring trunk(from someone on this forum) so that is the one I finally decided on. But as the owners of these cases know the top is almost half as deep as the bottom. So you kinda loose some storage space like that unless you can pile everything in the bottom and close the lid without anything trying to fall out. Plus I needed to use every bit of space in the sidebags and trunk so my wife and I could do a motorcycle camping trip so this is what I did. I took a small bungee net and mounted it to the trunk lid so I could use the space better. Here are some pics.
1CAMPINGTRIP2010009.jpg

1CAMPINGTRIP2010008.jpg

So this made it easier to carry the tent,sleeping bags,hatchet,small air matresses and pillows in the trunk and then we had the side bags for cloths and other items. It work really well. What do you do to make the most of your storage space.

Eric

Very nice. Did you drill thru the inner layer. Love to see some pics of the fastenings.

I will try and get some pics of how I fastened the bungee net to the trunk lid tomorrow. But what I did is got some small plastic loops and some very small and short screws and screwed the loops to the inside of the trunk. It is a double wall so I didn't have to worry about going thru as long as the screws are short. I only attached the net on 3 sides and left the rear side of the trunk net unattached to put the items in. It was just a normal bungee net you get at any motorcycle dealer and I removed the hooks on it. Then attached to my trunk lid. It works awesome for my needs. When not on a camping trip I use that area to keep my extra gloves,faceshield,wipes for my shield,sheepskin pad and then I have the bottom half of the trunk for other items my wife might want to bring on the ride.

Eric

I've been packing luggage my whole life and I like that set up alot! :clapping:

Looks like something I would've come up :) NICE JOB! I'll be waiting for the Pictures. :fans:

That's beautiful! It's always a pain in the ass when I'm piling stuff in there, trying to keep stuff from getting in the way of closing the trunk. I guess I know what I'm doing tonight! Very simple and very practical. Great job!

Nice job! So the screws are of the self tapping (wood? metal?) variety so you don't need a backup nut? And the net is semi-permanent in that you have to remove the screws to remove it, not just half clips?

Yeah, those "clips" form a complete loop. But you may be able to find some (slightly more stout ones) that have one side open so the bungee net can be clipped in and out at will. I'll see if I can find some somewhere...

An alternative to self tapping screws would be pop-rivets, might help spread the load on the back side of the thing plastic. Or maybe some sort of drywall anchor type affair that expands behind the blind hole.

Nice job! So the screws are of the self tapping (wood? metal?) variety so you don't need a backup nut? And the net is semi-permanent in that you have to remove the screws to remove it, not just half clips?
I believe it was a very short,small wood screws I used and yes it is semi-permanent set up. I have no need to ever remove the net. I was looking at mounting it like Fred is thinking of. Some type of hook type mount so you could remove the net and I'm pretty sure the local hardware store had some I could have used but I figured I wouldn't really need to remove it anyway so I went with the more permanent mounting.

Eric

Yeah, those "clips" form a complete loop. But you may be able to find some (slightly more stout ones) that have one side open so the bungee net can be clipped in and out at will. I'll see if I can find some somewhere...
An alternative to self tapping screws would be pop-rivets, might help spread the load on the back side of the thing plastic. Or maybe some sort of drywall anchor type affair that expands behind the blind hole.
That's good Fred I got you and some others thinking.That is why I wanted to share this mod. Someone may improve my design and make it work better for them. I'm very happy with the usefulness of my setup but if someone comes up with a better way I might try that as well.

Eric

I'm inspired to try to do the exact same thing with my side cases. The little retention straps for the bag liners are useless, to me, and more often than not one of them's hanging outside the case after I close it up. One of those nets on the outer edge of the inside half of the bag, with the top left open, would allow plenty of room to load the case but keep things from falling out. Getting into the bag liners when they're strapped in can be a PITA anyway. If this works the way I think it will, I won't even bother with them (the liners) most of the time. And the nets will stretch out enough to allow loading and removal of the liners if I want to get them in or out.

Thanks for this idea, VTFJR. I'll get some hardware and post pics as soon as I can. Since we're having such a bizarre Spring here in Sacto, weatherwise, this might be my rainy day project today.

FTFJR13

Nice job Eric. I didn't even know this was an issue with the top case. I will be doing my first long ride around Lake Superior and this will be a most do mod. I have the bungee net hanging in my garage doing nothing. All I need is the hooks.

Cheers,