Greetings, and help?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinister Crayon

Reaction score
Well greetings, FJR riders. I am Sinister Crayon and I have a question... but first I need to give you a bit of background so you can better answer my question. Please bear with me... I'll try not to be overly wordy as I tell you a bit about myself.

As a rider, I've ridden a number of bikes over the years. Started with a Ninja 250. A few years later got myself a Honda Nighthawk 750 that I loved to death but finally sold and didn't ride for a couple of years... finances, ya know.

Anyway, when I finally got the itch to ride again I narrowed it down to a 2008 FJR1300AE or a 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS. When I had some trouble with the financing part with the FJR, but it went through for the Connie, I got that. Man, what a bike. It was powerful as hell, pretty decently comfy for most of the riding I did... and sick fast. I had it up to 130 once riding two-up with my girlfriend and I ran out of bottle before I ran out of throttle. Oh, and ran out of road ;)

So, a year ago almost to the day I sold my Connie and got a 2004 BMW R1150GS. My girlfriend had been buying her own bike (her first) and I had seen the GS in the showroom and loved it's "lunar lander" styling and just functional look to it. Oh, and the heated grips were nice :) So a year later, I've decided in the last two weeks that the GS isn't for me any more. I am just not using it for the reasons I got it. I intended to do a bit of light off-road riding with the bike, explore some off-beat trails... but life has meant that I haven't gotten to that and now I've decided to get back on a sport tourer again.

Of course, the first place I went was the Connie. While I love the changes that have taken place, the 2010 and up are just a bit more than I want to spend on a bike right now. The 08's and 09's are really damned fine bikes, but I'm just not completely sold on any of the ones around here. So I shopped around and found what I think to be a great deal, with a dealer I've done business with before and keeps asking me if I'm tired of my GS yet.

SOOOO... the long way around we get to my query;

This dealer has two bikes: A 2005 FJR1300A and a 2007 FJR1300. Obviously the first has ABS, the second doesn't. The 2007 has a few farkles that I like, and of course the heated grips... but the 2005 has a lot fewer miles and of course ABS. I do ride in the wet, so ABS on a bike this heavy might be a damned good thing.

So I've read on the site about the changes in the later models, and I really wonder what you would do in the same situation. I'm torn between these two sweet bikes as the price is pretty much a wash between the two. I do like the 07 with all its farkles but I'm a bit concerned over handling this big bike without ABS in the wet.

So what are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them... and might close the deal next week to join the FJR crowd :)

I'll let someone who has owned both gens give detailed advice. I just want to point out that you can't lose here. Either one will make you happy.

That's a nice problem to have. :)

Oh, I guess I should also mention that we're all agreed the 2003 is the fastest and prettiest...

Last edited by a moderator:
Every FJR made since the 2006 year has had ABS. It was an option in '04 and '05. 2003 model: ABS was not an option.

So BOTH MODELS HAVE ABS.

Who told you the 2007 didn't?

Every FJR made since the 2006 year has had ABS. It was an option in '04 and '05. 2003 model: ABS was not an option.

So BOTH MODELS HAVE ABS.

Who told you the 2007 didn't?
Well that definitely helps! OK, I didn't realize that. I had just done a bit of reading and presumed that since it wasn't mentioned, it wasn't there. OK, that's changes things a bit :)

Looks like Mr Farkley is going to be my new ride unless someone here tells me otherwise :)

Ditto on what Wheaton said. All 07's have ABS. If it's black cherry in color, then it has ABS. If the salesman told you that it didn't, then use that to your bargaining advantage. Either way, they're both really nice bikes. If it were me, i'd go with the 07.

Lucas

...Looks like Mr Farkley is going to be my new ride unless someone here tells me otherwise :)
This isn't THAT kind of forum...sorry. :rolleyes:

Either before or after purchase your FJR...check out ALL the threads in the FAQ section of this board. You will be amazed at how much smarter you will feel after learning all the stuff that is in there...for free.

Last edited by a moderator:
It almost comes down to which color you like best.

The '07 is a tad heavier, and has goofy-looking gauges ( :) ) but has mpg and gear indicators in the LCD panel that are not found on the '05.

There were a couple of recalls on the '07, for the MPG readout and the "altitude sickness." If they haven't been done, they can still be done, not a deal-breaker. Call any Yammy dealer with the VIN to see if it applies and has been done.

If the '07 is better equipped and priced the same, then go with it. Just be aware that the '05 would have been faster. A teeny bit. Under carefully measured conditions.

07 also has no heat problems (blanket and redesigned fairings) like the 2005 and an upgraded alternator (200 vs 100 watts spare). 07 also dont have the potential ticker problems. However if you do get the 07 spend $100 and put on the brodies grounding harness (found in group buy forums) so you dont get bit by the spider (grounding harness connection points) and you'll have a great bike!

Thanks for the fabulous input, everyone. I think I'm going to like it here ;)

OK, so it's off to the dealer tomorrow to drop off my girlfriend's bike for repairs and while I'm there I'm going to negotiate. If all goes right I might be on a Yammie by early next week. It's all going to depend on whether we can negotiate a good trade on the GS, but I don't imagine that's going to be a huge issue.

I'll keep everyone updated :)

Thanks for the fabulous input, everyone. I think I'm going to like it here ;)

OK, so it's off to the dealer tomorrow to drop off my girlfriend's bike for repairs and while I'm there I'm going to negotiate. If all goes right I might be on a Yammie by early next week. It's all going to depend on whether we can negotiate a good trade on the GS, but I don't imagine that's going to be a huge issue.

I'll keep everyone updated :)
and just in case, on the '05 (blue) one, check the sides of the front fender for "ABS" written on it to confirm that fact

and you'll want to have the "ignition harness" recall done on the '07 as well as stock, many had flaky ignition switches

make sure you get an owner's manual, hard side bags "inner bags" like luggage, and a separate key for an optional trunk

again, check the "bin o facts" (just google that and boom) and the checklist before taking a newly purchased feej as the buyer

ok ok, I'm a softie: BIN O FACTS CLICKY

Check the classified section of this site for the asking prices of Gen II bikes this past month. That will give you a little indicator of what the going prices are lately. A local dealer here was holding out for the big bucks recently. The 3 year old FJR sat on the floor for 5 months before they finally sold it. I made them an offer of 900 less than they were asking during the first month they had the bike for sale, but they turned it down. No biggie. I bought an 05 ABS the following week for 2400 less than they were asking. They are not hard to find. If the dealer won't give you the price you want, don't be discouraged. There are a lot of used FJRs around, and even plenty on this forum. In my case the dealer was asking top dollar, and patience got me a great deal off a local private seller. Don't know if that helps at all, but just for what it's worth. Keep us posted on how the negotiations go, if ya end up buying and what the final deal was.

Gary

darksider #44

I've owned an '05 ABS (Gen I) & now own a new leftover '10 Gen II. The Gen II offers reduced leg cramp due to the adjustable seat height (I'm 6'1"), less back fatigue partly due to improved seat foam & covering material & less arm fatigue due to improved handlebar positioning. I've never activated ABS on either bike so can't comment to its usefulness. Otherwise, the Gen I's & Gen II's seem to be the same. The Gen I's are very fine bikes that will not dissapoint. My only negative comment w/the '10 is the Liquid Silver color isn't as schnazzy as my Galaxy Blue '05 was or the best color to wrap these bikes - Raven Black. Color preference is very subjective of course & your decision comes down to price IMO.

07 also has no heat problems (blanket and redesigned fairings) like the 2005 and an upgraded alternator (200 vs 100 watts spare). 07 also dont have the potential ticker problems. However if you do get the 07 spend $100 and put on the brodies grounding harness (found in group buy forums) so you dont get bit by the spider (grounding harness connection points) and you'll have a great bike!
I've had both Gen I and II and loved them both. Wheelies on the Gen I are easier if it's an 03. I wouldn't say the II has no heat problems, but it's improved over the gen I. The Gen II addressed much of the issues with the Gen I, but do get the ground harness fix.

I ended up buying the AE auto clutch model and really like it. Another 5 years and parts will start getting scarce for Gen I's

As promised... an update.

So yesterday in the pouring rain, I geared up and took my girlfriend's bike (a BMW F650CS) to the shop for some repairs. She curbed it at the end of the riding season last year and threw herself off. Minor injuries due to her gear (ATGATT, baby!) but she tweaked the forks a little, bent the handlebars and broke off the turn signals... so the bike needs some repairs and a state inspection. So anyway, I dropped it off and she followed in her car. I must admit, I do love her bike too, but that's another story...

So while we were there, I made a point of checking out both of the FJR's. The 05 was damned nice... gorgeous blue and in fantastic shape. The miles are a LOT higher than I thought from the description I was given earlier, so I went to check out the '07. Now this is more like it. The colour doesn't grab me... it's nice but is not exactly what I'd say would be my favourite. However, the miles are good (about 12K), the tires look in great shape and everything seems awesome. It has a Corbin seat already on it, and having had Corbins on my Nighthawk and R1150GS I have to say that they are always among my favourites. Harder than stock usually, but nice. The bike also has a GPS mount and hardwire cable for a Garmin GPS... but an older one so I'd probably end up replacing that. Techspec tank pads are one less thing I'd have to buy, and a set of Mototechnic Frame Sliders are already hanging out the sides... so another less thing to purchase. Oh yeah... and a Throttlemeister throttle lock hangs off the right grip; something I've become quite accustomed to on those long superslab rides to get to the really fun rides in Missouri.

Sitting on the bike on the centerstand everything seems to fall easily to hand. The controls are perfectly positioned for me, and a quick turn of the key and thumb the button and the bike roars instantly to life with nary a whimper of complaint. This is just how I remember the FJR I sat on before, but I do find the seat is much more conforming and feels right to me. The pegs feel a little high when compared to my GS, but I don't feel nearly as "squatting" as I did on my Connie. The luggage lacks the interior bags unfortunately... I'm sure replacements can be found. The windshield moves smoothly and easily... OK I think I've found my bike.

Inside to talk numbers with the same sales guy who sold me the GS. I like him; he's an old guy who has a long history of riding and we chat for quite a while about how I really loved the GS, but it just didn't fit me as a rider. I loved the idea of the GS much more than the reality... and I think watching Ewan and Charley had a lot to do with that :D

Knowing he can flip the GS really quickly because they're a BMW bike dealer and never have a problem selling those things, he makes me a good offer on the bike in trade, basically sight unseen. The fact that the previous owner of my GS actually also works at that dealership probably doesn't hurt because they know the ENTIRE history of the bike. The numbers he puts on the FJR are extremely attractive, and I sign a contract to put a hold on the bike for one week.

Now all I need to do is work out the finances on Monday, and maybe Tuesday or Wednesday I'll be saying goodbye to my GS and riding home on a 2007 FJR. I have to admit... I'm excited as hell for this; it's going to be so nice to get back on a bike that fits me better :yahoo: . I went home and cleaned out the panniers on the GS and got all the pieces together ready to take back to the dealer. Though to maximize my money back I'm keeping the Corbin so I can eBay it.

Pics to come when I pick her up... and thanks all for the input.

Congrats on the immenent purchase of your 07 FJR! :yahoo:

I've had my 07 since August of 07, when I bought it brand new for 12k. I too was unsure about the color, but decided I could live with it. Now almost 4 years and 48,000 miles later I don't have any regrest about buying it. I'm still ambivalent about the color, but it does look nice on those rare occasions when I wash the bike.

And more update... without a backstory.

Well, the finances are all worked out, my insurance agent is ready to flip me to the new bike as soon as I call him to tell him I got it... and I'm ready. Now the tough part is waiting until tomorrow when the bloody dealership opens again so I can finalize all this!

Is there a support group for people waiting on their new toys? :blink: