Russel Day Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiz1974

Reaction score
Greetings from a former FJR owner... I now own a Wing and there is a member on the GL1800Riders.com board trying to organize a group buy for the RDL seat. I purchased my RDL for my FJR in a GB on this board a few years ago and the response was very good for that GB (I think we had over 100 for it), so I thought I'd throw this on here in case anyone would be interested. I'll put the link up later, but for now, its under the General Discussion tab. You may have to scroll through a page of two, but its there. If you want some laughs, read some of the threads...there are definitely some grouchy old farts.

Take care and ride safe!

Just a couple minutes ago I registered at that GL1800riders board so I could get myself on that sign up for the RDL group buy. I'll be on the list as soon as the mod's over there allow me permission to play in their sandbox.

This is a very timely, and mucho appreciated, occurrence for me, and my rear end. Thanks for posting this message.

I'm in, tossed my hat in the ring at that group buy. Very much looking forward to the new saddle.

Regular price, FJR rider's seat only, $470-590, minus 20%, total sale price $376-472, depending on cover materials. I won't be doing the passenger section, my wife rides so rarely with me... she's just not into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to get this NEPRT'd but I'm curious if this will have any impact on the expected RDL Group Buy on this site. People have been asying there will likely be one here in the fall and I've been waiting patiently for that but I'm concerned that if everyone who wants one jumps on this there won't be enough interest in the fall.

Sorry if I stepped on an FJR sponsored RDL GB... I searched here before posting and didn't see any active GB's, so I went ahead a posted the GL1800 one. Didn't realize it was a re-occuring thing here on this board. Just trying to help out, again sorry.

Same concern as raitchison. After investing in and using a bead rider and Freedom Air cushion I am ready to invest in a Russel Day Long. I would rather wait until winter to order seat because i'll lose use of the FJR while the seat is being built. But now wonder if fjrforum will have enough people for group buy since some are ordering from the Goldwing site.

Not trying to get this NEPRT'd but I'm curious if this will have any impact on the expected RDL Group Buy on this site. People have been asying there will likely be one here in the fall and I've been waiting patiently for that but I'm concerned that if everyone who wants one jumps on this there won't be enough interest in the fall.
If I remember correctly on last year's, the 100 slot maximum was filled in approximately 3-5 days. I don't think there would be much of a problem.

Sorry if I stepped on an FJR sponsored RDL GB... I searched here before posting and didn't see any active GB's, so I went ahead a posted the GL1800 one. Didn't realize it was a re-occuring thing here on this board. Just trying to help out, again sorry.

You don't have to apologize. Helping is a great thing. I just PM Hollow Road Rider to include me on the Russell group buy over the gl1800riders.com forum.

Thank you very much for your help wiz1974,

Just because something has occured historically means that it will always happen. Things only happen if someone steps up to make it happen.

As there has not been any sort of announcement by an organizer of a group buy...I see no reason to not call people's attention to an announced group buy on another site.

Here's the opening statement for that thread at the GL1800 board, https://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291294-

I spoke with Kim from Russell Seats today. They will probably do a Group Buy again this year and will limit it to 100 seats (mixed breeds). They want to change the format that they have used in the past because they set this up in order to plan on the winter workforce, but then people have backed out, or rushed the orders, or generally made it more difficult. They are not yet sure how they will change it.

She suggested that we talk again in October, and that they—Russell— may organize the off season discounted group buy themselves.

I will keep the names of those of you who have shown sincere interest here and keep in contact with Russell, and you, when I know more. We will most likely end up joining another group to meet the quota.

In the mean time, if there are others who want to save 20% and get in a group buy during the off season, send me a PM.

Please use the PM's for order interest only, not discussion, which can be done in the forum.

This would be my first experience with a group buy of any kind, but reading this is appears that the "format" may be different than how it was done in years past. Seems that regardless of where you and I hear about it, if something is announced here or at another site, get signed up if you want in. That's my rationale, so I signed up via the GL1800riders board group buy announcement. I just want one, who initiates it shouldn't mean too much. Maybe it should be assumed that this IS the group buy announcement for this board (FJRForum). A group buy only happens when someone arranges one, and it looks like one is now being arranged over with the Wingers. I'm in.

Hopefully not to confuse the situation any more than it may already be confused.....

I called Russell today and they are going to do a group buy, just unsure on all the particulars. What sounde definite was there will be only 1 group buy and they've appeared to have identified that individual, the guy on the GL1800Riders forum. Total number of seats are going to be limited to 125, so I'd make a new best friend on the Wing forum if you want one.

OK I've signed up for the GB on that site, looks like it wouldn't probably be going on till October anyways.

How long does it typically take for a RDL build? We don't really have an off season here and I don't want to be off the bike for too long.

OK I've signed up for the GB on that site, looks like it wouldn't probably be going on till October anyways.

How long does it typically take for a RDL build? We don't really have an off season here and I don't want to be off the bike for too long.
You should ask the vendor that question, but I don't believe it was too long.

BTW, I have no sympathy for you...as you have no offseason. :D

When I had the RDL done for the FJR, it was 17 days door-to-door.

I just joined the GW forum to take advantage of this group buy opportunity. Not going to take the chance that there will be an actual group buy on this forum. Sounds like RDL may only do one this fall. Period.

When I had the RDL done for the FJR, it was 17 days door-to-door.
I did the Group buy 2 seasons ago. They had my saddle close to a month. Another forum member was kind enough to lend me a spare saddle during that period.