Russel Day Long

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just joined the GW forum to take advantage of this group buy opportunity. Not going to take the chance that there will be an actual group buy on this forum. Sounds like RDL may only do one this fall. Period.
I attempted to join a few days ago. I must have gotten the secret handshake wrong. I never got verified. ;)

Joe

I was just wondering if anyone was having problems getting the forum administrator to sign off on your membership request. It's been a couple of days and mine still hasn't been approved.

Yes, I signed up a week ago and never heard anything. I checked my spam folder thinking the response was in there but nothing. Actually worked out well for me though. Found a great deal on a used Russell, rider,pillion and backrest. Built for someone my size. Hope I like it as well as everyone says. Should get it next week.

Maybe PM the OP and see if he knows the trick to joining the GL forum.

I would suggest forgetting about relying on another forum and contact Russell directly. Maybe even ask about grabbing a block of seats for this forum.

IIRC 100 seat list was filled in a few days last year.

I never heard from the GL list mod. when I signed up, but it took about 24 hours for my rights to be allowed to the forum, as shown in a box at the bottom left corner of their screen. (Where is was saying that I was or was not permitted to reply to a thread, start a thread, etc.) The next day I just saw that I was allowed to contribute where previously I was not. Then I was able to PM the originator of the group buy offer with my interest in signing up.

I never heard from the GL list mod. when I signed up, but it took about 24 hours for my rights to be allowed to the forum, as shown in a box at the bottom left corner of their screen. (Where is was saying that I was or was not permitted to reply to a thread, start a thread, etc.) The next day I just saw that I was allowed to contribute where previously I was not. Then I was able to PM the originator of the group buy offer with my interest in signing up.
I just went back there to check, and you're right. I was approved. I didn't get an email response, like it stated I would during the sign-up process....but the important thing is that it works now.

Joe

As of a couple days ago, there were over 50 firm, positive responses that want a RDL in the group buy. That's great to hear. Get yourself signed up if you can. Like the info that was relayed from Russell, this could be Russell's only GB offer for this year, so sign up if you can.

I just went back there to check, and you're right. I was approved. I didn't get an email response, like it stated I would during the sign-up process....but the important thing is that it works now.

Joe
Your right Joe. I just went back and checked and I was approved. Thanks for the update! :thumbsup: I was sitting around checking the email for a comfirmation. I just sent HRR a PM to add me to the list.

Your right Joe. I just went back and checked and I was approved. Thanks for the update! :thumbsup: I was sitting around checking the email for a comfirmation. I just sent HRR a PM to add me to the list.
Cool. I'm glad stevet posted that, or I would never have double checked it myself. I got signed up. So did my neighbor with his VStrom.

Joe

If anyone is trying to get in on this, as of yesterday there is an update on the gl1800Riders forum for the group buy. The link is further up in this thread.

Latest is RDL may not do a group buy at all because they have orders into October. If they do one, it will only be the one over on the GL1800 forum. Limited to first 100 customers. They have 56 so far in that group buy. Get in now if you're at all interested.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291294
It's cool that they're busy. I'm glad to see ANY American Company with so much work that they don't need to discount it, although I do appreciate a deal when I can get it.

Joe

Latest is RDL may not do a group buy at all because they have orders into October. If they do one, it will only be the one over on the GL1800 forum. Limited to first 100 customers. They have 56 so far in that group buy. Get in now if you're at all interested.

It's cool that they're busy. I'm glad to see ANY American Company with so much work that they don't need to discount it, although I do appreciate a deal when I can get it.

Joe
Not to put too fine a point on it, but last year (through October and November) there were three different group buys that Russell accepted. We had one on the forum here, I think the ST crowd had a buy, and there was an adventure touring site that had a buy.

We filled up within a week(I think I was number 118 on the waiting list), and the other two groups also filled out nicely. I had a November 15th build date (sent my saddle in about 10 days early) and had it back before the end of November.

I find it hard to believe that RDL or anybody else that has a somewhat "seasonal" business would look at an additional two to three hundred orders (especially at a time when they're generally not busy) and say "naw, we don't need the business".

Even with the 20% discount, I still spent over $425 for a single saddle. I don't know how big RDL is, but $70,000+ in orders during your slow season ain't a bad thing. Just sayin.

They do nice work, I'm pretty happy with mine. :)

That makes me wonder if they are having open slots during the summer from people waiting until the off season to get a discount. I doubt it, but you never know. Either way, that's interesting info.

Joe

That makes me wonder if they are having open slots during the summer from people waiting until the off season to get a discount. I doubt it, but you never know. Either way, that's interesting info.

Joe
You might be right. But I suspect they do a decent "ride-in" business, and during the season I gotta believe they're busy. I look at all the MC shops and stealerships, unless you've got something minor, they can't take you for weeks during the season. I love riding up and seeing all the bikes that they wheel out of the service department. A shop that has four lifts routinely moves 15 or 20 bikes outside everyday. I hope that RDL is no different.

Joe
Not to put too fine a point on it, but last year (through October and November) there were three different group buys that Russell accepted. We had one on the forum here, I think the ST crowd had a buy, and there was an adventure touring site that had a buy.

We filled up within a week(I think I was number 118 on the waiting list), and the other two groups also filled out nicely. I had a November 15th build date (sent my saddle in about 10 days early) and had it back before the end of November.

I find it hard to believe that RDL or anybody else that has a somewhat "seasonal" business would look at an additional two to three hundred orders (especially at a time when they're generally not busy) and say "naw, we don't need the business".

Even with the 20% discount, I still spent over $425 for a single saddle. I don't know how big RDL is, but $70,000+ in orders during your slow season ain't a bad thing. Just sayin.

They do nice work, I'm pretty happy with mine. :)
I hear ya blassoff. I'm just trying to get the word out there. The info about there only being one group buy this year is coming from the organizer over on the other forum. Take it for what it's worth. According to the organizer on the GL1800 site, they're at around 61 confirmed now on their list. My thing is... if there is an opportunity now to get in on a sure-fire RDL GB list, why pass on it and gamble that there will be two or three more later.

Wow I got in! So psyched! Could not sit the bike last year with our GB because of my accident. Wont miss this one for 20% off.

Thank you to the original OP for bringing it to our attention.

Update- they are up to about 75 bikes now for the Russell group order. See posts from "Hollow Road Rider", he's running this group buy and you need to PM him through that board.

They are at 100 now. I don't know if they are accepting any more names on the list. Still no word from RDL on whether they are going to do a group buy at all this year.