Who has gone camping on an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BikerDude

Reaction score
Alright everyone, New guy here, I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on a FJR, one of my questions are how is it for Camping? who has done it? And how much were you able to fit on it? I used to ride a HD Ultra Classic and I was able to pack everything including the kitchen sink on one of those. The set up I was looking for would be just the side panners, tank bag, and a Rack on the back and lots of bungee cords. It would most likely traveling 1 up most of the time on it.

BD

I haven't actually done it yet, but I got this bag with the intention of holding all my camping gear. With this set up, I could camp for at least a week comfortably, but I guess it depends on how big your gear is. I have a pretty compact mattress, sleeping bag and tent that will fit with all the food and cooking gear needed. One side bag for clothes, the other for riding gear.

137718.jpg

readytoroll.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart packing is the key! Although I haven't camped much from the FJR, with saddlebags, tail bag and two Rok straps you can pack all you need for any length trip. Lay out what you think you need and then leave half of it at the house... ;) A trunk is handy for lockable storage, but my medium MotoFizz is easier to pack and holds just as much if not more.

Here's mine packed up (in trunk configuration) for an 8 day adventure into BC and Yukon this summer.

DSCN2230.jpg

Have fun!

--G

Very timely thread... Haven't camped on the feej yet, but getting ready to do so very very soon. Just got a tail rack, and the rok straps should be here pronto. I'm in Arizona, and the weather between here and Cali is just awesome right now...

time for a vacation :)

I've camped on it for 11 days in a row......several times. It works REALLY well.. :)

Done it! Biggest challenge is packing gear, but it can be managed. I do a fair amount of backpacking and was surprised the side bags don't hold as much as my backpack. During an early summer trip up to Yellowstone I packed both warm weather and cold weather/rain riding gear which took up a lot or room (most of the dry bag on the back). My only criticism is the side bags open from the side. If they're full and you need to pull something out, can be a bit of a challenge keeping the contents from spilling out and getting stuff back in to close it up.

Pre-check ride minus a small tankbag:

IMG_0237_1.JPG

I have camped with the FJR and it is easy. Your experience with the Harley could make the transition difficult. It is not about how much you can take, but how much to leave at home. Traveling light is the goal, real light. Light weight back packing gear is the key along taking only the clothes you absolutely need. Less is more. The FJR is more fun that an barrel of monkeys and less gear will keep the monkeys smiling.

I don't think I would try camping on the FJR riding two up. Of the Sport Touring bikes the FJR is the sportiest and physically the smallest. I am lucky my wife let's me go solo. Her idea of camping is electrical outlets in Cedar trees with all the amenities of the Ritz.

Works great as long as you aren't 2 up. Between the saddlebags, top box and pillion seat, I've enjoyed the hell out of the days I've camped on it, had plenty of room and been uncompromised for both strafing twisties and bedding down in comfort. My one requirement for the latter is a campground with showers.

I bring an REI Quarter-Dome tent with footprint and rainfly, a full length Therm-a-Rest mattress, and a down bag, which all are strapped on the pillion seat. Left bag is clothes and accessories. Right bag is tools and tire repair kit, compressor, MSR backpacking stove and emergency extras. Top box is for light weight need-to-get-to stuff like rain gear, extra gloves, hat and mess kit. Initially empty stowage space exists in top box and right bag. Tank bag has the usual stuff.

It's not over packed on the road and I'm plenty comfortable at the campsite. Enough room to pick up required food and the intoxicant of your choice before settling in for the night -- I always bring a bran/flax/oatmeal/raisin mix for my every day breakfast. Sidearm optional, and space for it exists in a locked container (for those jurisdictions so requiring).

I've done quite a bit of camping on mine I think it is an excellent platform for motocamping.

Like any camping on a bike you need to make the most of available space.

The best part is the fjr hauls butt even fully loaded.

If you are interested here are two ride reports from a couple trips I did on mine.

The Lost Coast

The Wind

I've done quite a bit of camping on mine I think it is an excellent platform for motocamping.

If you are interested here are two ride reports from a couple trips I did on mine.

The Lost Coast

The Wind
Excellent ride reports Canyonman, one question what kind of top box are you running? and how is it latched onto the bike? Just as I thought, the FJR can be a good 1up camping bike.

We've done two up a couple of times. OK for 2 or 3 days. I bungied the sleeping bags on top of the side bags. Tent poles were too long to fit in the cases or top trunk, so I drilled a couple of holes in the black plastic trunk plate and bungied the poles crosswise above the tail light.

Someone else in here (can't remember who) did a neat trick with the trunk; he put hooks around the inner rim of the trunk lid to hold a bungie net. He had a pic on here of the trunk lid stuffed with 2 sleeping bags plus tent!

When running like this, food is generally not carried.

For longer stays when 2 up I drag a trailer.

Without trailer;

webIMG_1045.jpg

With;

IMG_1115.jpg

No problem camping with the FJR, I have the large Ortlieb dry back that goes on the back seat...holds my tent, sleeping bag, pillow, self inflating air matress, ground cloth & a folding tripod stool. That leaves the bags, trunk & 21 liter tank bag for anything else that I might need.

No problem at all when riding without the wife; 2up just means you have to get a bit more creative (sleeping bags on side boxes). From the FJR campout earlier this year, this is my load before the trip:

fjr-camp2011-01.jpg

Large Ortlieb dry bag holds an incredible amount of stuff and straps down by looping the end cinch straps through the pillion grab bars..easy peasy. I will say that the cheapo Wal-Mart six-pack cooler I strapped on the back of my PCA rack wasn't worth a damn, lol.

At the campground:

fjr-camp2-1.jpg

Carried camp stove, tent, some food, air mattress, and my comfy chair among the usual clothing and stuff. Nearly all of it goes into the dry bag.

Funny you ask. The FJR is loaded for camping at Daytona this weekend. I usually take a 3 week camping trip each summer. I don't like top boxes, so just strap a big dry bag and tent on the back. For longer trips, I use a tank bag.

As you can see, it is no problem camping with the FJR. It is especially easy if you are riding solo so you can pack things on the pillion seat. That is the best place for long items like tent poles. I have a couple of loops of nylon strap that is tied to the cross member under the seats right below where the seats meet. I pull those loops out between the seats and they provide tie down points.

If you are two up, then you will probably need to put some things on top of the side bags. Be careful about how much weight you put there and attach the bundles to the rack so that the weight is carried as much as possible by the rack. Bulk is not a concern as much as weight on the bags and rear sub-frame.

You can stuff a lot in a large tank bag. Just be careful that the bag does not restrict your steering.

177.jpg

No problem at all when riding without the wife; 2up just means you have to get a bit more creative (sleeping bags on side boxes). From the FJR campout earlier this year, this is my load before the trip:

fjr-camp2011-01.jpg

Large Ortlieb dry bag holds an incredible amount of stuff and straps down by looping the end cinch straps through the pillion grab bars..easy peasy. I will say that the cheapo Wal-Mart six-pack cooler I strapped on the back of my PCA rack wasn't worth a damn, lol.

At the campground:

fjr-camp2-1.jpg

Carried camp stove, tent, some food, air mattress, and my comfy chair among the usual clothing and stuff. Nearly all of it goes into the dry bag.
Thanks for all the Pictures guys, Love that Ortlieb bag, I saw one many years ago at a BMW rally. Always told myself I would get one.

BD

The Lost Coast

The Wind
Excellent RRs by the way...

..I tend to take too much gear and over pack. I have a dufflebag that only Godzilla could appreciate...

one question what kind of top box are you running? and how is it latched onto the bike? Just as I thought, the FJR can be a good 1up camping bike.
My top box is just a pelican case attached to a "Garauld" luggage rack. Forum member Garauld makes an excellent luggage rack as well as other bits for the fjr.

I only keep light stuff in the pelican that I want to be able to lock up. You don't want to carry a bunch of weight on the rear sub frame there have been a couple that have cracked.

Here is a link to a thread discussing what can happen. crack