Bringing the new girl home.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGuy

FJR Rally Addict! :D
Reaction score
Figured I start a thread about the newest addition to the stable and her trip home. I'm picking her up in Charlotte, NC on Tuesday and riding her almost due North to Oakville, ON. I considered riding her all the way home right away, but my clavicle is still broken and the weather is starting to turn (snowed here yesterday :( .) So the plan is to tuck her in in Oakville for the winter and go get her in the spring. That way I can get some eastern riding in and hit CFR in Huntsville before taking her home. Since I would have been riding out to CFR anyway, this really actually saves me 2 trips across the praries :whew:.

I'll be flying into Charlotte in the early afternoon on Tuesday (16-Oct). After inspecting the bike and doing the paperwork, I'll be ready to roll. The current plan is to slab it to the CBP office in Niagara Falls before they close at 4:00 on Wednesday, but I'm open to some short detours and can push that out a day... or even 2 with enough coaxing.

Once I cross into Canada, I'll be headed to my brother's place in Oakville. Depending on when I cross the border, I'll have a day or 2 in Ontario before I fly home on Saturday night.

I'll have Canucklehead's SPOT with me (thanks mate!) so you can find me on Spotwalla (clicky!). (Note: I didn't name the page.
dry.gif
)

Here is a google map of the US portion of planned route:

RidetoCanada16-Oct-2012_zpsbc93d31b.jpg

If anyone along the way is interested in intercepting me or meeting up along the way, please feel free to do so. I'll try to check the thread regularily while I'm out there, but best to send me a txt msg (PM me if you don't have the number.)

Only 4 sleeps to go!
yahoo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring long/heated underwear. The temps have been in the dumper with lots of rain the past couple of weeks. Safe journey!

Bring long/heated underwear. The temps have been in the dumper with lots of rain the past couple of weeks. Safe journey!
Thanks for the tip! Raingear is definitely on the list. The long term forecast was looking good... Now it looks like reasonable temps, but I'll be starting in the rain, clearing out through WV and PA then back into rain as I approach the border. If the rain in ON keeps up, I won't be doing much riding while I'm there!

I don't know how anyone could pass through West Virginia and manage to stay on the interstate the whole way. :eek:

I'd want to waste spend a day on Rte 219 and the like. You really can't go wrong, just get off the interstate and drive any direction! :p

PS - Congrats on the new wheels!! :thumbsup:

Did you consider staying in the southern US and heading west until you hit Arizona, then make a 90 right turn and head north into Canada? Might be warmer for longer.

Congrats on the new scoot, Jeff...... Wed/Thurs. temps 13-14C, low of 8, sprinkling on Thursday. At least it won't be too frosty.

I'm not a slab guy, so if you have time, might want to catch 219 for the ride up as you can still make decent time...... Ride safe and best wishes!

Congrats on the new scoot, Jeff...... Wed/Thurs. temps 13-14C, low of 8, sprinkling on Thursday. At least it won't be too frosty.

I'm not a slab guy, so if you have time, might want to catch 219 for the ride up as you can still make decent time...... Ride safe and best wishes!
219 + PA != good time. So many small towns with 30mph speed limits. But 219 south of Maryland rocks. It gets good again in Northern PA.

+1 on 219 up through PA and into NY, although you will slow down through the small towns. Not sure if you'll get close enough to it, but 62 up through PA into WNY is also not bad with the same caveat about small towns...including mine! That's the main street in my town.

Where are you buying the bike from? I live in the Charlotte, NC area but have worked a lot lately in the Oakville, ON area. Small world. I'm out of work next week due to a hurt back or I would show you around the area. Best M/C roads in the world here and of course it's NASCAR country, lot's to see.

The south end of 219 is very good but I'm not a fan of all the small towns in PA. There are options however. Ray had a good route that kept us out of the little towns on our way back for EOM.

Congratulations, Jeff!

Safe ride :)
+1 and Congratulations, Double Gunny El Jefe; if you do decide to stay South and then head North at Arizona, mi Casa es su Casa con mucho gusto! Weather's holding clear to Phoenix and to AB!

+1 on 219 up through PA and into NY, although you will slow down through the small towns. Not sure if you'll get close enough to it, but 62 up through PA into WNY is also not bad with the same caveat about small towns...including mine! That's the main street in my town.
AND, I-90 is a toll road.

Route advice?? Grab I 95 asap and head North...

;)

Kisses.
Get it right Bust

:****:

Hugs n' Kisses
Mi Hermano Donaldo, why would Mister Peckerhead recommend I 95? I'm not familiar with the East, since I don't know the lay of the land I'm assuming that Bust is drunk - AGAIN. https://www.i95highway.com/

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Charlotte&1s=NC&1y=US&1l=35.2225&1g=-80.83754&1v=CITY&2c=Oakville&2s=ON&2y=CA&2l=43.466171&2g=-79.689583&2v=CITY MapQuest shows only 12.5 hours and 735 miles, so damned easy even Bustanut joker could do it! I thought that Bungie was the only Canuckistani who was "map challenged"!

I have only heard about this "Winter" thing and seen it on TV, but I would think you would want to get it Nord du Ligne before that nasty white shit falls from the sky (I've seen that white shit in National Geographic Magazine!).

;)

Kisses.
Get it right Bust

Hugs n' Kisses
Mi Hermano Donaldo, why would Mister Peckerhead recommend I 95? I'm not familiar with the East, since I don't know the lay of the land I'm assuming that Bust is drunk - AGAIN. https://www.i95highway.com/

https://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Charlotte&1s=NC&1y=US&1l=35.2225&1g=-80.83754&1v=CITY&2c=Oakville&2s=ON&2y=CA&2l=43.466171&2g=-79.689583&2v=CITY MapQuest shows only 12.5 hours and 735 miles, so damned easy even Bustanut joker could do it! I thought that Bungie was the only Canuckistani who was "map challenged"!

I have only heard about this "Winter" thing and seen it on TV, but I would think you would want to get it Nord du Ligne before that nasty white shit falls from the sky (I've seen that white shit in National Geographic Magazine!).

NOooooo I-95 !!

Bust's an :asshat:

:D

;)

Kisses.
Get it right Bust

Hugs n' Kisses

NOooooo I-95 !!

Bust's an :asshat:

:D
My Honey, I already knew Bust is an asshat! But what is the inside local scoop on I-95? Is it super congested or is it just incredibly boring? I still plan to ride the East Coast before I croak, it actually looks like it hugs the Atlantic Ocean all the way to Maine.

Oakville is not exactly Calgary. Down here we usually ride into December. Personally, my last good ride of the year, weather permitting, is in mid November when I do a five day run to the Roanoke area of Virginia and back.

I don't know how you can ride with a broken clavicle, but I assume you can do it without pain, or you wouldn't be attempting this ride in the first place. Now is a great time to get in a two or three day backroad ride of twisties and fall colours.You will be going through some of the best motorcycle road areas in the US between Charlotte and Oakville. Don't waste this opportunity on the slabs unless you need to make up some time, or it starts to rain hard. Bring your heated gear, and rainsuit, and you'll have a ride you won't forget in a long time.

BTW, don't forget to stop in at the US border checkpoint with your paperwork before crossing the bridge.

Congrats and ride safe!