Bringing the new girl home.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for the geographically challenged around here there is a part of Ontario that is further south than the northern border of California. There have been years where it was possible to ride year round. Not many but a few. The there was a year where the mayor of Toronto called in the Army to dig out the city after a particularly nasty snowstorm.

I stop riding when I move the bike into storage to make room for the snowblower.

Buffalo on the other hand has snow year round. Just ask anybody from the South.

By the way if you are looking to park your vehicle you can do worse than I-95.

Just for the geographically challenged around here there is a part of Ontario that is further south than the northern border of California. There have been years where it was possible to ride year round. Not many but a few. The there was a year where the mayor of Toronto called in the Army to dig out the city after a particularly nasty snowstorm.

I stop riding when I move the bike into storage to make room for the snowblower.

Buffalo on the other hand has snow year round. Just ask anybody from the South.

By the way if you are looking to park your vehicle you can do worse than I-95.
A Canadian BMW Friend of mine sent me this photograph last year, it scared me so badly I ran and jumped into my swimming pool! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

By the way my Canuck Beemer Friend is named Neil Peart, told me at the BMW Rally in Redmond, Oregon he plays drums in some band up in Canucklandia!

snowbound_sarnia.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AND, I-90 is a toll road.
Little story about I90. Coming back from EOM I stopped for some food in Erie PA just as it was getting dark. By the time I finished and got back rolling again, it was full dark and I wanted a blocker in front of me (deer). The first guy I snick in behind is doing 5 under the speed limit, then this guy in an a big ass SUV goes past us. So I swap for him.

Whenever the trees on the median get thick enough, I pull out to pass and just as soon as I get beside him, I'd hold it there and finger my Hella HID's. WOOF! light for ever - completely overpowering his high beams. When the trees blocking the median thinned out, I'd shut off the Hella's and tuck back in behind him. He didn't seem to mind at all. Then I notice were coming up to some more trees and he's waving me up. I'm thinking he's thinking I'm an asshole (he's right). Just as I pass his back bumper he gives me a 'hold up' arm wave. So I pull beside him and he gives me a HUGE thumbs up.

Okay, cool brah!

We do this for the entire length of I-90. I figure he's a biker and knows what I'm doing. At one point I'm behind him and he flashes his brake lights at me straddles the center line. Passed a dead something on the side of the road. Thanks!

When we hit the second toll where it's time to pay, I'm still behind him. I flip open the top of my tank bag to get my $3.00 out and the toll booth attendant says buddy paid for me.

**** YA! I passed him coming into Buffalo, gave him a toot of the horn and nod helmet. Wish they were all like that. Good Karma for him.

By the way my Canuck Beemer Friend is named Neil Peart, told me at the BMW Rally in Redmond, Oregon he plays drums in some band up in Canucklandia!
I've seen Neil play a bunch of times in my misspent yout. The first time I saw them they played at my high school around 1974. It was an annual tradition to go see Rush play the concert bowl and Maple Leaf Gardens on New Years Eve. Good times good times.. at least what I remember of it.

My experience on I-95 is limited to the warmer side of the Mason-Dixon line.

Like most very long highways, I-95 is congested in places and very congested at certain times of the year -- like, anywhere south of Virginia when the retirees head to Florida for the winter or return in early March. It's pretty boring, too, except for the occasional stomp-the-break-squeeze-both-levers-pucker-up-ass moments that occur when any multi-lane is reduced to stop and go traffic. During those aforementioned busy periods, however, the congestion can occur in the middle of nowhere simply because the number of cars/pickups/RVs/semis is pushing the capacity limit of the roadway.

It's not really close to the coast in the south, unless "close" means within ten miles. (Which it might to AZ dwellers.) But it offers other excitement: it goes through the middle of Miami/Lauderdale/West Palm, brushes the edge of Daytona, and passes through spectacular (to me, anyway) marshland along the Georgia coast.

By the way, I-95 is certainly not the Interstate I'd choose between Charlotte and Ontario, but hey, it's a free country. I've heard Canadia is a free country, too.

Jeff's original post showed I-77/I-79... who the hay would want I-95!! 79 is actually OK for an interstate, but.... take the scenic roads if you have the time.

My experience on I-95 is limited to the warmer side of the Mason-Dixon line.

Like most very long highways, I-95 is congested in places and very congested at certain times of the year ....

. ....I've heard Canadia is a free country, too.
I-95 north of Bangor is NEVER congested. Cruise at 90 - 100 ('mericun); the speed guideline limit is 75. Even forest rats and swamp donkeys don't hang out there.

And 'yes' Canadia Canuckistan is a free country, too. Well, except for the taxes :rolleyes:

"I-95 north of Bangor is NEVER congested. Cruise at 90 - 100 ('mericun); the speed guideline limit is 75. Even forest rats and swamp donkeys don't hang out there."

Will be seriously shopping for a 2013 FJR in spring, and Madawaska is very high on the To-Do list.

.... and Madawaska is very high on the To-Do list.
If you're taking about Madawaska, Ontario why would Madawaska be on your To-Do List???

However, following the Ottawa River for a while and then going across Algonquin Park is not a bad way to get to CFR next summer.

Jeff's original post showed I-77/I-79... who the hay would want I-95!! 79 is actually OK for an interstate, but.... take the scenic roads if you have the time.
Hey Ray, Bust is your Boyfriend: You tell us, eh!

Route advice?? Grab I 95 asap and head North...

;)

Kisses.

Klowns.. I was being facetious..

The stretch from DC to New Yawk sucks moist ass cheese
Bust Honey, you were being frivolous and flatulent? Why Silly Rabbit, we already knew that! Got a call from Carrie last night in ABQ, she said AJ still is crying himself to sleep at night missing you!

.... and Madawaska is very high on the To-Do list.
If you're taking about Madawaska, Ontario why would Madawaska be on your To-Do List???

However, following the Ottawa River for a while and then going across Algonquin Park is not a bad way to get to CFR next summer.
Madawaska, Maine. One of the four US corner spots ... not that I'm attempting anything, just seems like a good excuse for a destination. A sort of lollipop-loop from Boston using I-93, US 2, and I-95.

There's a Madawaska, Ontario? Learned something new today, therefore fulfilling the quota. :D

A big "Oui, monsiuer, eh?", on the CFR. Was looking at that as another good excuse for a destination. Already routed a big loop from Huntsville (ON, not AL) to Bancroft to Gravenhurst to Parry Sound to Huntsville. Several options and only a little mandatory superhighway. Just have to bank a down payment this winter, get the bike, bring it home, break it in, mount a GPS, negotiate a week off work, figure out where to put an EZ-Pass, and consider electrically heated underwear/socks/balaclava/goggles for the Big Trip To The Northland. (Passport's in good working order already.)

I don't know how anyone could pass through West Virginia and manage to stay on the interstate the whole way. :eek:

I'd want to waste spend a day on Rte 219 and the like. You really can't go wrong, just get off the interstate and drive any direction! :p

PS - Congrats on the new wheels!! :thumbsup:
This is strictly a transport mission. :( Too much crap on the go at home and the broken Clavicle may restrict any real riding enjoyment. :(

But Duracell and I are already talking about a post CFR trip that direction.

Did you consider staying in the southern US and heading west until you hit Arizona, then make a 90 right turn and head north into Canada? Might be warmer for longer.
Honestly, no! Arizona and then on to Mexico is on my to do list, but I'll Start that trip from home.
wink.gif

Where are you buying the bike from? I live in the Charlotte, NC area but have worked a lot lately in the Oakville, ON area. Small world. I'm out of work next week due to a hurt back or I would show you around the area. Best M/C roads in the world here and of course it's NASCAR country, lot's to see.
Maybe second best roads, 'cuz we have the best roads in the world in my backyard, the Canadian Rocky Mountains!
tongue.gif

Unfortunately I won't be able to judge your roads because of my limited time and broken body. :(

I will be in Charlotte for Dinner tomorrow if you care to join us.

South Western Ontario boys: If anyone wants to do drinks Friday night or Lunch on Saturday, I'm in!