While I'm Here

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
I needed to come up with a new way to mount the GPS since moving from the old SP1 to the new 2610. I've always liked the way the Touratech mount looked and worked, so that was the target.

To mount that I had to move from the dash/shelf mount of the SP1 so the Touratech would clear the windshield. I eventually decided to go with the RAM mounts.

Got all the stuff I needed to install the Touratech/RAM combo. But to do that, I needed to replace the steering stem nut with one threaded for the lower RAM ball mount.

While I was in there, I figured I might as well check the torque on the steering head bearing.

While I was doing that, I figured I might as well clean and repack the steering head bearings (the last time was 8/2004). It was nice to see the Mobile 1 grease holding up better than the OEM grease that I replaced back in 2004. This time it looked more like grease than peanut butter.

While doing that, I figured I might as well clean up all the upper steering bracket.

The threaded steering stem nut was based on the 2004-2006 model year; the same ID and threads but a larger OD to the flats and flange. No problem, but that meant I had to remove the bar Lenker risers to get enough clearance on the 36mm nut for the socket to fit without binding on the risers (throwing off the torque readings). It also meant re-adjusting the angle of the bars when putting them back together again.

Nice now that it's done, but that little 30 minute job took me a lot longer than that because of all the other stuff I decided to do "while i was there". Much nicer knowing that it cost me nothing but time compared to what all that would have cost having the dealer do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
95,000 miles and I re-torqed the bearings once. Never have gone and looked at the grease. Per my local Yammie mechanic, "don't mess with what ain't broke."

I am not saying I would recommend that, but so far so good. YMMV. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

You shoulda gone for the tapered roller bearing upgrade "while you were in there". Unless you did it last time.

My home made Tomtom mount. A piece of aluminium plate with 2 pieces of 10 mm tube about 15mm long to form spacers underneath it. Very simple but effective. The original hex bolts that hold the handlebar clamps are replaced by longer bolts.

Sorry about the fuzzy pictures.

Mount2.jpg

Mount3.jpg

Mount1.jpg

feejer222

Very nice my man - I like it!! Looks like an OEM thingy...

Bounce - quit fool'n around with head bearings and do something practical... :D