Givi V46 With Cerulean Silver Cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UFO

Reaction score
I finally got around to installing a trunk on the FJR for commuting. :rolleyes: A trunk works better than saddlebags for accessibilty day in and day out. I opted for the matching cerulean silver cover. If (when) I sell the FJR I can just part out the cover and transfer the V46 to the next ride. I also opted for the brakelight kit which works like a charm.

A few comments...

- I've read posts on various forums of matching color covers coming off. Impossible unless user error put the cover on incorrectly. It's held in place by 4 locking tabs and no less than 5 screws.

- I've read posts on various forums of the entire trunk falling off while riding. Again, not sure this is possible unless user error was involved with installing the rack or attaching the bag. If done properly the bag isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

- The brakelight kit is not difficult to install. The auto connect posts on the rack, the bottom of the bag, and the in the lid closure all work quite well, again, contrary to posts I've read on forums. I can only chalk it up to user error again. I have no plans of hardwiring the entire setup as I know I would rip the wires apart the first time I took the trunk off. :lol:

- The color match is perfect. The installation seems bulletproof and sturdy as hell. All latches engage and disengage with a satisfying "POP!", nothing sticks or binds. Seems like a very high quality assembly.

- I removed the useless document holder on the inside of the lid. :rolleyes: Am mulling over a way to install a small bungy net on the underside of the lid for various small items.

- It will hold two helmets...two XXL helmets in fact. It will hold all my commuting gear except my boots.

- The Givi rack is fugly as hell, but it works. The SW-Motech rack looks much better (uses stock luggage rack) but the setup is inherently less steady on the 03-05 FJRs according to my research.

I give the setup a :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

v46_01.jpg

v46_02.jpg

v46_03.jpg

v46_04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I opted for the G52 on mine. One thing I think I like about the fugly rack is that it's steel, not aluminum like the Yammy rack it replaces. Gotta be a good thing for those "13 pounds" you can carry back there. :rolleyes:

I opted for the G52 on mine. One thing I think I like about the fugly rack is that it's steel, not aluminum like the Yammy rack it replaces. Gotta be a good thing for those "13 pounds" you can carry back there. :rolleyes:
Garauld, on this forum, can make that fugly rack real pretty. He powder coated mine in a nice durable satin black for $20 plus shipping, (Use US Mail, its cheaper).

Where might the best price for the Givi be at?

thanks, cary

I bought mine at RL Motorcycles in Thomasville, Georgia. They had the best price I found, and they ship for 10 bucks anywhere. Looking at the site to get your URL, they've got 10% off now!

Actually the stock rack is plastic!! :blink:

Personally I feel a lot better about having my topcase mount made of metal over plastic. Especially because I have my laptop in there most of the time.

I was talking about the rail kit it mounts on. Yes, the pad is plastic, but the rail underneath, that bolts to the bike, is steel.

I have no problem with the design of the plastic pad, it's very heavy gauge, the ears the bag clips to are quite substantial. The only worry I could possibly have with the mount is aerodynamic, not weight, and not that until way past being scared. I've carried the bag around 110 to 120 briefly.

I agree the Givi grab rail/rack is steel. However, the stock yamaha grab rail/worthless rack is made of plastic.

I had the Givi rack powder coated black, and have had it on now for well over 45k. My V46 topcase has probably been on the bike for over 30k of the time so far.

Garauld, on this forum, can make that fugly rack real pretty. He powder coated mine in a nice durable satin black for $20 plus shipping, (Use US Mail, its cheaper).
Looks like this after the blk. powdercoat.

06jeep002.jpg

06jeep001.jpg

I agree the Givi grab rail/rack is steel. However, the stock yamaha grab rail/worthless rack is made of plastic.
I had the Givi rack powder coated black, and have had it on now for well over 45k. My V46 topcase has probably been on the bike for over 30k of the time so far.
Misread your post. It's very clear this time, however. <_<

Senility rears its ugly head.

If you are going to have your rack powder coated then round off all the sharp edges. Powder coating does not like sharp right angles.

tom

This may be a noob question, but, can you just buy the case without the rack?

The reason I ask is because my bike already has the Givi mount on it from the prior owner.

This may be a noob question, but, can you just buy the case without the rack?The reason I ask is because my bike already has the Givi mount on it from the prior owner.
Yes, absolutely you can.....

Example: Givi E450
I have the V46 and the mount looks exactly like the one in the picture sgoat posted except mine has a cheezy paint job that I did myself instead of that nice powder coating. :eek:

I wonder if the mounting plate is the same for the V46, E52, E450, and whatever. I mean that big plastic piece that sits between the steel rack and the bag itself.

This may be a noob question, but, can you just buy the case without the rack?The reason I ask is because my bike already has the Givi mount on it from the prior owner.
Yes, absolutely you can.....

Example: Givi E450
I wonder if the mounting plate is the same for the V46, E52, E450, and whatever. I mean that big plastic piece that sits between the steel rack and the bag itself.
I think that it may be, Greg.

To Unidentified Flying Object... I am betting that if you like to carry stuff you'll grow to really like the Givi mount's bars since it provides a spot to tie stuff down. I have the rear brake light on my Givi, also. It stopped working awhile ago for an unknown reason. I've tried cleaning the contacts... even w/ sandpaper, using, what is the stuff that conducts electricity... I think that it is dielectric grease. No love! The thing just doesn't work unless you put a LOT of weight on the bag...as in, lean on it. The bag is very secure on the rack. I don't know what to do to about fixing the problem... nor am I overly interested in doing anything about it.

What I'd really like to have is that kit that lights up the entire reflective area on the case. Now, that would be worth having.