Cee Bailey Reverse Contour Flip Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hughes

Reaction score
I recently bought and put some miles on the Cee Bailey reverse contour flip windshield and I love it. The one that I purchased was the +6" taller and +4" wider than stock. It runs straight up on the sides about an inch inside of the fairing width. The height is right for me as it is lowest at a point just below my chin and highest at the center of my forhead. For reference I am 6'3" with a 31" inseam and that means that the top of my head is 40" high when I sit on a hard surface (there should be a name for this number) and that is tall in the saddle.

When I ride with the windshield up most of the way where I am looking over by 2 or 3 inches it is very quiet, I could ride without my earplugs. When the windshield is down it is ok but not much better than the Yamaha tall windshield fully raised which was too short for me. The reverse flip appears to me to be worth 2 or 3 inches of plastic.

Out on the highway I got NO wind distubance from traffic or trucks at any speed that I tried :rolleyes: . This was great because on my ST1300 I had a straight top Cee Bailey windshield that was a hair taller and wider and I was pushed around by the traffic and trucks on the interstate in an uncomfortable way.

So I like this windshield very much, enough so that I have stopped looking for a better one.

Hey Bob . . . i have a Cal Sci screen, about the same size. One of the features of that screen is a cut-out down loan that is supposed to moderate/eliminate back pressure. With that big ole Cee screen, do you notice any weird airflow or back pressure issues?

Hey Bob . . . i have a Cal Sci screen, about the same size. One of the features of that screen is a cut-out down loan that is supposed to moderate/eliminate back pressure. With that big ole Cee screen, do you notice any weird airflow or back pressure issues?

None at all. Beats me.

I recently bought and put some miles on the Cee Bailey reverse contour flip windshield and I love it. The one that I purchased was the +6" taller and +4" wider than stock. It runs straight up on the sides about an inch inside of the fairing width. The height is right for me as it is lowest at a point just below my chin and highest at the center of my forhead. For reference I am 6'3" with a 31" inseam and that means that the top of my head is 40" high when I sit on a hard surface (there should be a name for this number) and that is tall in the saddle.
When I ride with the windshield up most of the way where I am looking over by 2 or 3 inches it is very quiet, I could ride without my earplugs. When the windshield is down it is ok but not much better than the Yamaha tall windshield fully raised which was too short for me. The reverse flip appears to me to be worth 2 or 3 inches of plastic.

Out on the highway I got NO wind distubance from traffic or trucks at any speed that I tried :rolleyes: . This was great because on my ST1300 I had a straight top Cee Bailey windshield that was a hair taller and wider and I was pushed around by the traffic and trucks on the interstate in an uncomfortable way.

So I like this windshield very much, enough so that I have stopped looking for a better one.
Bob, have you got any pics of this reverse setup? Sounds interesting. PM. <>< :unsure:

Bob,

I really agree with your report on the Cee Bailey Fllip. Although neither of us is 6'3", my wife and I love the shields. I wasn't sure about the "flip" because I have never had one, but I do enjoy this one. No buffeting, no noise....really nice. We got a 4X2 and a 2X2.

Also put the Cee Bailey headlight protectors on it too. Not sure if I like them better than the 3Ms, I had on our STs, but it does the job (Living in the desert southwest, rocks and sand kill windshields, headlights and paint).

Kern

Tangent to the thread -

I had a problem with one of my headlight covers and Cee Bailey was great in making things right. The curvature of the left cover was perfect and the right cover was just wrong, in being too tight to follow the curvature of the lens with the extra needed for the velcro tab. Sent to CeeBailey with a photo and they called to apologize and let me know that a replacement set was on the way. Great customer service.

Bob

Thats good to hear. I e-mailed Cee Bailey yesterday and asked what they suggested (5'10.5"..stock seat, no risers) and they answered today saying a +4T 3W would be best for me. I do pretty good with the stock shield but would really like to get rid of the ear plugs. I know you should use them and I do but if I can get the wind noise under control then I can go back to helmet speakers. By the way...I came off of an ST1300 myself (I read your post and trip on the ST forum). I'm a huge St fan (2 ST1100's and 2 St1300's...long story) but I'm loving the FJR. Only have 1800 miles on it so far but it just seems to fit me a bit better than the ST. That said had I been able to fix the heat problem I would have still been on the ST.....I do miss the 300+ miles between fill ups!

Gary

Bob, have you got any pics of this reverse setup? Sounds interesting. PM. <>< :unsure:

ditto i would like to see pics in the down and full up :unsure:

khrome

ditto i would like to see pics in the down and full up :unsure:

khrome

I will get the camera out after work or tomorrow.

Bob, I have no problem with the stock shield, but my SO gets blown away on the back seat. She would like to ride more with me, but needs more protection from the turbulence. Do you have a SO behind you and what is her opinion?

Thanks, Jer

Bob, I have no problem with the stock shield, but my SO gets blown away on the back seat. She would like to ride more with me, but needs more protection from the turbulence. Do you have a SO behind you and what is her opinion?
Thanks, Jer
My wife rides her own bike so I can't say how it would be for your SO but it is extremely quiet for me up front. I am still working on the photo.

Thanks, Jer
My wife rides her own bike so I can't say how it would be for your SO but it is extremely quiet for me up front. I am still working on the photo.
I have a Cee Bailey +4" X +4" reverse contour flip (RCF) windshield on my bike (I'm 6'2" / 35" inseam) and my wife (5'5" / 30" inseam) says she rides in relative calm behind me. But then again, it's all about adjusting the windscreen to find that (constantly) varying sweet spot for the conditions in which you're riding; headwind, tailwind, speed all play a part. I don't believe any windscreen for the FJR is "set it and forget it", let alone a this particular one. That said, the CB RCF is a huge improvement over the stock windscreen.

I took my stock shield off this morning getting ready for the Cee Bailey windshield and I was wondering if the CB comes with the foam backing that the stock windshield has or do you just put the CB on without? Mine should be here tomorrow according to FedEx tracking - just thought I would get a early start. Thank.s

I took my stock shield off this morning getting ready for the Cee Bailey windshield and I was wondering if the CB comes with the foam backing that the stock windshield has or do you just put the CB on without? Mine should be here tomorrow according to FedEx tracking - just thought I would get a early start. Thank.s
No, it doesn't come with the foam backing, and yes, you mount the new CB windshield without it. Note: be very careful when you're mounting the new screen to not over-tighten the nylon screws. My advice is to snug the screws down and back them off 1/4 turn. DO NOT tighten them to the torque value stated on the little red & white piece of paper stuck to the screen (even if you happen to have a torque screw-driver). You'll snap the heads off the screws sure as Dallas. I speak from experience on this one... :(

No, it doesn't come with the foam backing, and yes, you mount the new CB windshield without it. Note: be very careful when you're mounting the new screen to not over-tighten the nylon screws. My advice is to snug the screws down and back them off 1/4 turn. DO NOT tighten them to the torque value stated on the little red & white piece of paper stuck to the screen (even if you happen to have a torque screw-driver). You'll snap the heads off the screws sure as Dallas. I speak from experience on this one... :(
I noticed that they were not tight when I took them out. I have also learned from experience on other bikes on this! :dribble: At first I thought they did not get them tight enough, but then I looked at them and it dawned on me. Thanks for the info on the foam.