PNWFO: Group Ride to NAFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SockMonkey

Makin' Some Noise
Reaction score
I'd like to start gauging interest in a PNWFO group ride to NAFO. Nothing yet engraved in stone, but here's the conceptual:

1) Looking for a route that's off the beaten path (no major highways). If roads were graded like rapids, something in the Class 2+ - 4 range will do nicely. Bonus points for scenery;

2) Leave Portland OR on Tuesday, 07/22 early AM (day 1), arrive Golden CO 07/24 mid-day (day 3). Days 1 & 2 = 500 - 600 mi/day; Day 3 = 200 - 300 mi (this ain't no Iron Butt ride...);

3) Hotel/motel/camp on Tuesday night (07/22) and Wednesday night (07/23);

I'm not suggesting that everyone heading to NAFO from the PNW meet up in Portland to do this ride. For many, that would be stupendously inconvenient. We'll plan the route such that there will be several planned meet-up points along the way; gas & food stops, hotel, etc. The ride may start out as 5; it'd be cool to roll into NAFO as 50.

So, again, looking for shows of interest and, most importantly, route suggestions leading to a finalized route plan by May. Thanks!

I'll be watching with interest. Have not yet decided whether I'll be riding or trailering (hopefully riding), but I had planned to leave Tuesday, either way. Thanks for taking the lead.

I'd join ya's somewhere along the way if the timing's right. My planned route from Elko will be roughly half slab & half OTBP (off the beaten path). Figgered I'd slab it to SLC, jump down to US40, then hit I70 at Rifle, CO. If you PNW guys were planning to take US50 across part of Nevada, it would add a bunch of miles to your trip, but on the plus side, not a helluvalot of traffic to deal with. Or... y'all could slab it to SLC also & take the same route from there. Either way... just thinkin out loud.

Hey Sock, good work on starting this thread. Hopefully everyone is healthy, including Pig and Pony, and we all take a little ride. This sounds like a good plan with the spouses flying ahead. I'm voting for motels for me for soft beds and hot showers.

Interesting..

Maybe.. if can work GPS front fork work done prior to leaving for NAFO...

just maybe.....

Great idea SM. Count me in for moteling it, don't want to pack that much extra stuff. Not sure work wise yet what days I can take off but I'll know in the next month or two. Would be nice to stay off the freeway at least part of the way.

Bill

Here's a stab at the route for Thursday, 07/24 (Day 3). It's just under 200 miles with some really nice scenery and photo op stops along the way. The route starts in Steamboat Springs because, well, there's some damn fine watering holes and places that may require a stack of $1 bills. And with a ~12 hour ride the day prior, we'll surely need those little comforts. ;) Map and driving directions below (again, just a suggestion...):

Day3RouteATXT_Page_1.jpg

Day3RouteATXT_Page_2.jpg

Suggestion for the Day 2 route: Twin Falls, ID to Steamboat Springs, CO. I've tried to keep us off the slab as much as possible and still make reasonably good time, but allowing for a nice run down the west side of Flaming Gorge NRA.

Day2RouteATXT_Page_1.jpg

Day2RouteATXT_Page_2.jpg

Day2RouteATXT_Page_3.jpg

And here's the suggestion for Day 1: Portland, OR to Twin Falls, ID. A nice ride, plenty of twisty spots, with lots of places to go fast. May as well get those bikes shaken down the first day...

Day1RouteATXT_Page_1.jpg

Day1RouteATXT_Page_2.jpg

Day1RouteATXT_Page_3.jpg

With the suggestions above, we're at ~1,396 mi over the 2.5 days. I haven't optimized stops on any of the routes for food and fuel but if anyone wants any of the maps, send me a PM with your email address and format preference (MS Streets & Trips or Adobe Acrobat) and I'll send them to you.

Oh, yes. I'm with the folks voting for soft beds and hot showers. B)

Whoaaa Marty. Great job. I'm not sure anyone can improve on that route but they can sure work on the fuel and food stops and motel suggestions for the 2 overnight stops. Terrific contribution to this ride (and the Forum), my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh...you guys are gonna make me ride out, aren't you?
Damn straight! Who do you think we're going blame all of our transgressions on..! "Honey, he's a cop. He made me go look at naked women!" :lol:
This looks like a great route to me. I'm still going to have a trailer back-up plan for this adventure called NAFO, but my back has been feeling OUTSTANDING the last few days - the best since my surgery. If this keeps up, riding out and doing my SS1K won't be a problem...

I'd like to start gauging interest in a PNWFO group ride to NAFO. Nothing yet engraved in stone, but here's the conceptual:
1) Looking for a route that's off the beaten path (no major highways). If roads were graded like rapids, something in the Class 2+ - 4 range will do nicely. Bonus points for scenery;

2) Leave Portland OR on Tuesday, 07/22 early AM (day 1), arrive Golden CO 07/24 mid-day (day 3). Days 1 & 2 = 500 - 600 mi/day; Day 3 = 200 - 300 mi (this ain't no Iron Butt ride...);

3) Hotel/motel/camp on Tuesday night (07/22) and Wednesday night (07/23);

I'm not suggesting that everyone heading to NAFO from the PNW meet up in Portland to do this ride. For many, that would be stupendously inconvenient. We'll plan the route such that there will be several planned meet-up points along the way; gas & food stops, hotel, etc. The ride may start out as 5; it'd be cool to roll into NAFO as 50.

So, again, looking for shows of interest and, most importantly, route suggestions leading to a finalized route plan by May. Thanks!
If I can get the time off work I would be able to join you all.

Soft beds along with a Captain Morgan (or two or three, na make it the dirty dozen) and some well spent dollar bills would be bliss.

Oh, BTW so that you know (just in case) I have been known to take a little ride from near the Canadian border in Montana (North Of Many Glacier) and sling shot to home, in Federal Way, in one day :yahoo:

Just to a look see at the route from Portland, which by chance had me on 26 to Nampa, on my way to Utah last September.

Lots of smokies near the City/town limits, deer at dusk too (don't ask about that).

Now, 395 is one sweet road, which I took Southbound to join 26 near Canyon City, then onto Boise.

Would be cool to get a whole bunch of Feejers (Cherry won't mind) "riding into town".

Ride safe.

Interesting -- I'm taking a different and longer route to Steamboat (through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and then the same path as you from Green River into Utah to 40), but intend to be in Steamboat both Tuesday and Wednesday nights. (I used to live there '76 to '78, so GF and I are going to loaf a day around there, and madmike and I are talking about possibly hooking up in Steamboat Tues. nite, as he has family there he may be visiting before he joins other NAFO staff in Golden on Wed.)

On Thursday, my planned route is the same as you've posted out of Steamboat to Walden to Granby, but from there, I'm heading east through Rocky Mtn. Nat'l park and then south from Estes Park along Peak to Peak to Golden.

Feejers on Main Street and Rabbit Ears Pass where I used to ride my '75 Kaw Z1!!!

Last edited by a moderator: