PNWFO: Group Ride to NAFO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be interested. No camping for me, did enough of that years ago. Also would like to see if anyone is interested in sharing a room at NAFO. I haven't made my reservation yet.

Too soon to tell which way we'll go or return. We may take time before and head down into NV, UT & NM, then come in to NAFO from the south after visiting relatives in Pagosa Springs CO. Or, we may do a quick 2-day ride straight there and then spend time touring after NAFO. We'll know as time draws closer.

I would reccomend the ride up from NM on your route to NAFO, going up Hwy 285 through Alamosa, Salida, Buena Vista, Leadville to I-70 then through the tunnel to "Golden CO- the home of Coors" my brand since I was just a baby growing up in TX. I would buy 10 cases on my way to "Flat tracking" in the San Antonio area on the weekends and sell it for a busk a can and it would pay for my entry fees and hotel costs. They would be lined up and waiting for me when we pulled into the pit atea on Friday nite :yahoo:

Count me in also, it looks like a lot of fun. :yahoo:

:clapping: IS IT TIME TO GO YET???? :clapping: :yahoo:

I'm so excited and the 27 is my B-day

Lori

BKR CHK

Last edited by a moderator:
I will put it on my calendar, but will only be riding a day or so as I have to be back in Porltand for a Wedding on Sunday. Will pick up GT and Dam checkpoints on return route.

Should be fun. :yahoo:

Interesting -- I'm taking a different and longer route to Steamboat (through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and then the same path as you from Green River into Utah to 40), but intend to be in Steamboat both Tuesday and Wednesday nights. (I used to live there '76 to '78, so GF and I are going to loaf a day around there, and madmike and I are talking about possibly hooking up in Steamboat Tues. nite, as he has family there he may be visiting before he joins other NAFO staff in Golden on Wed.)
On Thursday, my planned route is the same as you've posted out of Steamboat to Walden to Granby, but from there, I'm heading east through Rocky Mtn. Nat'l park and then south from Estes Park along Peak to Peak to Golden.

Feejers on Main Street and Rabbit Ears Pass where I used to ride my '75 Kaw Z1!!!
I will be arriving in Steamboat on Wed. with the idea of following the group down the hill to Golden on Thursday.

Interesting -- I'm taking a different and longer route to Steamboat (through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and then the same path as you from Green River into Utah to 40), but intend to be in Steamboat both Tuesday and Wednesday nights. (I used to live there '76 to '78, so GF and I are going to loaf a day around there, and madmike and I are talking about possibly hooking up in Steamboat Tues. nite, as he has family there he may be visiting before he joins other NAFO staff in Golden on Wed.)
On Thursday, my planned route is the same as you've posted out of Steamboat to Walden to Granby, but from there, I'm heading east through Rocky Mtn. Nat'l park and then south from Estes Park along Peak to Peak to Golden.

Feejers on Main Street and Rabbit Ears Pass where I used to ride my '75 Kaw Z1!!!
I will be arriving in Steamboat on Wed. with the idea of following the group down the hill to Golden on Thursday.
Looks like we'll have to turn the Steamboat stop on that Wednesday night into the NAFO "pre-party". I'd better start looking for a few good biker bars... ;)

So many roads and so little time. I hate to plan too much as it takes the adventure out of travel. I am looking at several routes to and from NAFO. Today I like the idea Washington's North Cascades Highway to Lake Ponderay (Idaho) to Kalispell then SE towards Helena. On East toward Billings and South to Red Lodge over the Beartooth Highway into the NE enterance of Yellowstone through the Tetons to Jackson Hole. And I don't know where next but some how ending up in Golden.

I want to keep all options open as long as possible.

Then again maybe I will hook-up with you in Twin Falls or Steamboat.

PM sent to the wonderfully wise Mr.SockMonkey!

If you don't mind one more tagging along...

My rough plan shapes up like this.

1. Arrive Salem Oregon sometime Saturday 7/26, visit with dear old Pops

2. Front forks worked on at GP Suspension Monday, 7/28, Oregon City

3. Hook up with the PNWR group Tuesday 7/22 in Portland or Tualitin or?

4. Ride to NAFO, arrive Thursday fresh and relaxed after a CBA day.

5. Friday = SS1k

6. Saturday = what happened to Friday?

BTW, this looks like a nice route. The one I wanted to ride was too long.. 800+ days for 2 days then a ss1k.. and my CBA butt just ain't going to do that.

If anyone has this route mapped in Garmin or .gpx format, please PM me, I'll send my email addie. I have to have a gps route, I get lost just getting home from work.. :rolleyes:

Hey Fred, uhh, George, uhh Randy,,, err, BikerSkier dude.. you still a player?

PM sent to the wonderfully wise Mr.SockMonkey!
If you don't mind one more tagging along...
Sweet, will see you there. I think we've got plenty of room for one more. Pretty sure Marty has the maps he can send you, too.

El Piggo

Old SockMonkey sent me a very well done rally packet err, ride iteneray.

Will figure out the meet up point in Portland later.

Got hotels dialed in.

This is the most organized ride I think I've EVER done.

Then again, I just scabbed onto a already defined route! :rolleyes:

Old SockMonkey sent me a very well done rally packet err, ride iteneray. Will figure out the meet up point in Portland later.

Got hotels dialed in.

The bennies of having a Ride Captain. (SockMonkey really likes it if you call him by that name)

Old SockMonkey sent me a very well done rally packet err, ride iteneray. Will figure out the meet up point in Portland later.

Got hotels dialed in.

The bennies of having a Ride Captain. (SockMonkey really likes it if you call him by that name)
Ride Captain my ass..! I'm just the insomniac fool that needed something to do at 3:00AM! :lol:

Hmmm...interesting. Our group has Wednesday evening open with no concrete plans yet...Other than chasing around the mountains of Colorado. :rolleyes:

PM sent to El Ride Captain for specifics.

--G

Hmmm...interesting. Our group has Wednesday evening open with no concrete plans yet...Other than chasing around the mountains of Colorado. :rolleyes:
PM sent to El Ride Captain for specifics.

--G
I think PonyFool has a kegger planned for that night.

So I guess that would be a (pony)keg then, right? :D Hope we can make the trip work out and meet the PNW contingent in Steamboat.

Shoving off early Saturday morning. Everybody ride safe.

--G

Last edited by a moderator: