fork brace issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smackdab949

Reaction score
I have a MLC fork brace and installed it at the recommended torque (130inchlbs I think). The brace bolts came loose 2 times and it is very unnerving when there is uneven pressure on the forks going around a corner...

He replied very quickly, but just said you can use locktite and to torque it down more...

I am nervous that something is wrong, as I CAN'T believe that I am the only one to have this happen to.

Anyone else use a locktite type product on their brace?

Anyone else use a greater inchlbs in torquing it down? Can I hurt something?

If it makes cornering better, I do want it installed !

thx

130 inches is a little more than 10 foot lbs, not a lot of torque. if thats the suggested value, do not exceed it-you could strip the threads. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Blue Loctite on it, made for the job. Be aware that when first applied, the Loctite will act as a thread lubricant, so be certain you don't exceed the recommended torque spec-maybe even reduce it a bit. If time permits, lube the bolt threads with the Loctite and let it dry before applying.

I don't have Larry's brace, but I do have the SuperBrace - pretty much the same thing. Torque specs are the same. The bolts have loosened on mine several times. Hasn't been a real big issue for me as I do a pretty thorough safety check every time a clean the bike. But, as usual, Jesus is correct in his advice. A little dab'll do ya with the blue Loctite and Bob's yer uncle!

I have the Superbrace and used blue locktite - no probs so far

radman, tell us some more about the locktite - why let it dry first. I had previously thought the idea was to have the bolt in place *before* it dried.

Please teach us a bit more ;)

26 Dec UPDATE: Superbrace Group Buy until Dec 31, 2005

Interesting that he recommended loctite... I personally recommend a different chemical compound: anti-sieze compound.

Recall these are steel bolts that are torqued into aluminum threads... and usually not touched again for a looooong time. That's a good recipe for dissimilar-metal corrosion.

Yesterday, when I removed my old-version black-anodized Superbrace to test-fit the new gull-wing version, all four bolts were still tightly snugged to the 14 ft-lbs I set them to orginally. But they came out just fine, with the threads in good shape, even though they haven't been touched for over a year now.

The new gull-wing Superbrace looks interesting when installed:

straight-awayInstalled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF?  Polished?!  Ah HA!  I knew it!
What you don't know is that I installed this temporarily so's I could have pictures for the NEW Superbrace Group Buy that ends on Dec 31st.

I just re-installed my original black-anodized Superbrace, because this brand new, 0-mile "gull-wing" Superbrace is a door prize at WFO-5 next July!

I am now back to the old bug-ladened original... [SIZE=8pt](I really gotta replace that missing old fork protector sometime....)[/SIZE]

StraightAway.jpg

I normally use anti-sieze on dissimilar metals but in the case of the fork brace, since I don't plan on removing it , I used loctite. My theory is that loctite will do a pretty good job of isolating the screws from the aluminum threads.

Tightened mine without a torque wrench. Hasn't come loose yet.

I will repeat Zorkler's question. What is the great improvement for me? I don't do any hard cornering. My chicken hangs out when I am cycling. I'm an old fogey. Would fork braces make any major difference to me?

I will repeat Zorkler's question. What is the great improvement for me? I don't do any hard cornering.
You don't have to corner hard to reap the benefits of a Superbrace. That's the beauty of it.... even the more casual riders immeditately notice the bike has a more "planted" feel while underway. When leaned over even in gentle sweepers, you'll notice the bike will hold it's line with a lot less effort, and you'll feel much more confident with the bike heeled over at any angle, large or small. In fact, it will give you the confidence to lean the bike over further than you might normally.

The front end will feel more "tractable"; steering will have a more precise feeling. Rain grooves seem much more manageable. There are nothing but benefits to be had with a correctly installed Superbrace, and you don't have to be a kneedragger to realize and appreciate them.

To add...

Transition joints that have a difference in height become much more manageable when you hit them askew. Most common of these would be where a driveway entry ramp's lip is slightly higher than the road surface that you are leaving. Without the brace, each fork reacts differently to the transition giving a wobbly feel to the front end as the trailing fork tries to catch up with the leading fork. The brace eliminates these kinds of fork maladies, too.

I just re-installed my original black-anodized Superbrace, because this brand new, 0-mile  "gull-wing" Superbrace is a door prize at WFO-5 next July!
Well then, I'd hate to buy one now and end up with an extra next year! ;) Besides, I'm too broke now. Maybe there'll be a discount for the WFO attendees who DON'T win a brace? Until then, I'll have an excuse for sloppy cornering.

[SIZE=8pt](I really gotta replace that missing old fork protector sometime....)[/SIZE]
I didn't use my removed ones. They are still laying around in the garage I think. You want I should go look and get an extra christmas present in the mail?

Thanks for all of the feedback!

I am going to install it for the 3rd (and last) time with blue locktite...

got my fingers crossed. (I will be carrying a wrench to remove the

brace if it starts acting up...)

I noticed WC's left OE bugguard is in place.

Do I really gotta cut off the OE guards to mount the superbrace?

Does everyonr just drimmel them off?

I noticed WC's left OE bugguard is in place.
Actually, no, it's not; that is one of the OEM fork protectors that has been cut off, dremelled to fit, and expoxied to the backside of the shorter Superbrace fork protector. Unfortunately, the right one hit my right-side Master Blaster horn during a deep pothole strike, and was knock off.

Do I really gotta cut off the OE guards to mount the superbrace?
Does everyonr just drimmel them off?
Yes, the OEM fork protectors *must* come off to install the Superbrace, since that's exactly where the brace resides. Most folks dremel them off, particularly if you're going to epoxy the upright portion to the somewhat short fork protector that the Superbrace comes with.