fork brace issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can we link this thread to the group buy thread all my questions were answered here. And if I win another in Reno then I will have something good to trade with.

I assume that a box cutter will work if one is careful...
JimLor

I dislodged them with a rubber mallet and a piece of wood, then I snipped them off with a pair of shears. I was kind of nervous about cutting them while still in place on the forks :no:

Stef

Stef, I ordered the MCL brace Christmas day and the next day our modem s... the bed. Just got back on line and found an email from MCL that the silver were out of stock for 4 weeks - so I told 'em to ship the black.

I've looked at the guards a couple of time and it makes me nervous to think about cutting them - hate to get too detailed, but where did you place the block and which way did you whack it from? Am I right to assume that the guards fit inside the fork and are held by pressure, so that using your method is just dislodging them? Thanks and have a Happy New Year and a bottle of Barolo for me!

Jim

Jim

IIRC, I placed a wooden block against the front side of the fork leg, i.e. parallel to the same. I hit it from below with the rubber mallet. One sharp blow will do the trick.The fork protectors are only held by pressure as you surmised. No sweat.

They'll pop up and you can then easily cut them without any damage to the fork.

I'm off to uncork that Barolo, bro... ;)

..and a Happy New Year to you!

Stef

I bought my Superbrace a few months ago. Noticed a good result with freeway ruts. Tracks my line now, not the ruts own line.

Worth the investment in my opinion.