SkooterG's Tire Milestone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkooterG

Purveyor of Crooked Facts
Reaction score
Well.............

I finally did it!!!!!!!!!!!

[SIZE=18pt]I used up an entire rear tire without getting a flat!!!![/SIZE]

And the crowd rejoiced!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Yes, for some reason I have been suffering from some crappy tire karma, and every rear tire until this last one has gotten a flat.

Now the good news is that all of the flats except for one were discovered in my garage. Some I had properly repaired by the local

Yammie dealer and continued to ride. Some were replaced as they were towards the end of their life and did not justify the $45 dealer repair cost.

Here's the lowdown:

Tire 1 - Metzeler - Flat at 5320 miles. Replaced at 8525 miles.

Tire 2 - Avon - Flat at 2810 miles. Replaced at 11,725 miles. :angry2:

Tire 3 - Avon - Flat at 3195 miles. Replaced at 11,150 miles. :angry2:

Tire 4 - Avon - Flat at 6800 miles. Replaced at 7687 miles.

Tire 5 - Avon - Flat at 115 frigging miles!!!! :****: Replaced for free under Avon's road hazard warranty. :yahoo:

Tire 6 - Avon - Flat at 12,754 miles. (Replaced then also) Damn. Thought this was going to be the first without a flat.

This puppy was well worn and about to be replaced. But sure enough, a flat it received. About two weeks before I was going to replace it.

Crap! Soooooo close.

And finally, my last rear, Tire 7. Just replaced with 14,719 miles on it! :clapping:

This sucker was WELL worn. I was trying to ride a tire to the belts for the first time, but with rallys coming up, it had to be replaced

and I didn't quite make it. Still, those belts couldn't have been far off.

As you can see in the below photos, rubber in the center of the tire was starting to do some funky stuff.

Still, NO FLAT!!!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

14.jpg

f4a64db8.jpg

9c2b02da.jpg

Next up.............my first experiment with a rear Pirelli Diablo Strada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Scoot, don't know how you do it. 3,500 tops for a rear Avon. 5,000 for a front or less... Keep up the good work... Smitty

I just don't know how to respond -- I'm speachless -- (but still typing) I guess congrats? I donno...

:D good job?

If I can get 14 out of an avon...I'm running it....only thing is...I'll get more out of it since I have personal knowledge that you can lean them things over to use the "other" rubber up.

You can call those rubber flakes if you want to, but congratulations, that's the cord; but you already knew that probably, right? :)

I don't understand this conversation.......who cares about the price of tires when it comes to saving your arse....In prospective, it cost more to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant than you'd spend on a new tire....and your riding on cords?

Holy excretion batman!

How in the HELL are you getting that many miles on ANY tire ? You are using the throttle right ?

You will love the Strata EMS tire, neat V profile for better turn-in. Mine went tits up at 5300 miles though.

I consider myself to be a fairly conservative rider.....easy on the throttle, not too radical in the twisties. I can't get more than 8,000 - 8500 miles out of my Avons. Now I'll admit I consider a tire to be needing replacement way before Skooter apparently does and that helps explain why he gets the mileage he does.

I'm interested in the tire wear info. On my Goldwing, I killed my first set in 7500 miles. Wear bars plainly visible. I was 4500 miles into my second set (These were Dunlop Elite 3's) and the rear was w/in 1500 of having to be replaced. I ride aggressively and spend most of my time in the twisties so the tires are worn from side to side. What kind of tire life can I realistically expect on the FJR? Tires are cheap (relatively speaking) and I am considering getting a Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changer. How many of you change your own?

Thanks.

I don't understand this conversation.......who cares about the price of tires when it comes to saving your arse....In prospective, it cost more to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant than you'd spend on a new tire....and your riding on cords?
Holy excretion batman!
Man, where are you eating dinner? Nice dinner at Del Taco - $5, new tire with mounting $150.

BIG difference! :unsure:

Um, Skooter? Besides dropping that fucker every couple of months, does that thing ever lean over?

Still, I have you beat: 15,593 miles on the OEM tires on my GL1800. Mostly riden two up and loaded (the bike, not me). The front had another 10k in 'em. So, STFU! :grin:

Damned if I get get 7k outta set on the FJR.

Simple, he rides like an 80 year old woman and aviods curves like the sissy-man he is. :flirt:
Careful! You know how emotional he gets when you question his mileage prowess.

...actually, I think I figured it out. I didn't want to say anything in Utah, but I heard this sound of a high-revving motorcycle when I was in Nephi gassing up. When I went around to the back I see his FJR on the centerstand wheel spinning away like mad and Skooter laying on a picnic table stuffing Hostess SnoBalls his mouth, a cigarette in one hand, and Red Bull in the other.

He seemed to be asking the locals where the nearest polygamist colony was with lots of brain-washed teenagers.

hostess_snoball_package.jpg

Maybe somebody should risk the ride to Fallon next weekend to see where he's hiding at.....or at least check his helmet for coconut crumbs when he gets back.

Last edited by a moderator:
14,000 miles and cords showing all around, Holy Crap! I'm cheap..... but I'm also CHICKEN!

Well at least it wasn't another photo of a dead horse being beaten.
Actually, you're very gracious bud. Here I am analyzing my route choices and bonii selection in Utah. I'm all about the...."had I not had to talk to the cop and had I not missed that 200 point bonus I woulda beat you by 50 points or so."

If wishes and butts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas every day... :cry: