Disappointing day at the drag strip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I took my new '08 FJR to the drag strip for the first time with high hopes of breaking into the high 10's because of my performance mods (Holeshot header, Remus Hexacone mufflers, fully modded air box, Motty AFR Tuner). I think it is still doable, but today a combination of being out of practice and bad track conditions just wouldn't allow it. There was a very strong wind, probably 20-25mph, exactly opposite direction of travel on the track. The track also seemed to not have as much grip as usual. I wasn't the only one having traction problems; I saw my dad almost go sideways in his Charger SRT8. He was running about 0.2-0.3s slower than normal today.

Enough with the excuses; here's the results...

First, a video (from the sideline and an on-board view of the same run):

:clapping: Pretty cool! :clapping:

Now, would you just take a loan and write bigger checks. The next 2 mph/.5 seconds could be very expensive.

Have you considered mounting some softer race-compound tires to help our grip? Run low air pressure in the rear and high in the front?

:clapping: Pretty cool! :clapping:
Now, would you just take a loan and write bigger checks. The next 2 mph/.5 seconds could be very expensive.

Have you considered mounting some softer race-compound tires to help our grip? Run low air pressure in the rear and high in the front?
I don't want to chase faster times with changes to the bike that are impractical for everyday use (soft racing wheels, etc.). I probably won't even put any more money into engine performance improvements (I think all that's left to do is engine component upgrades and or a turbo).

I did lower the back tire to ~30psi. Should I try lower? Any ideas on how high I should go on the front? Maybe I'll take 10 minutes to swap out the monstrous VStream windshield for the stock windshield next time.

BTW - my mini 12V air pump that I keep under the seat is quite handy at the track to restore tire pressure in the rear when it's time to go home :)

I took my new '08 FJR to the drag strip for the first time with high hopes of breaking into the high 10's because of my performance mods (Holeshot header, Remus Hexacone mufflers, fully modded air box, Motty AFR Tuner). I think it is still doable, but today a combination of being out of practice and bad track conditions just wouldn't allow it. There was a very strong wind, probably 20-25mph, exactly opposite direction of travel on the track. The track also seemed to not have as much grip as usual. I wasn't the only one having traction problems; I saw my dad almost go sideways in his Charger SRT8. He was running about 0.2-0.3s slower than normal today.
Enough with the excuses; here's the results...

First, a video (from the sideline and an on-board view of the same run):

everyone has their own way but for me i launch the bike at wot and use clutch to control traction/this is with most stock bikes.turbo stuff with lockup clutch is a whole other animal! :rolleyes:

Awesome!! What a great swamp track to run on-used to be one in my area long time ago.. Your Dad's Charger reminds me of my 340 Duster..It was my daily driver and I got best times in the low 12's.. To bad the gearing can't be changed on the FJR- if it could be set up so that you hit fifth just before the traps you would probably drop a full second, uncorrected time. Great video!

Are you sure you ain't 60 or sumthing?

I say that as a huge compliment.]

Run whatya brung then ride it home again.. Perfect..

Kudos to you, win lose or draw -

at least you're out there playing the 'when the green flag drops the el toro poo-poo stops' game with great abandon!

Keep us posted, I want to see the 2 mph gain...

:clapping:

Way to go! But then, think about how you made the guy on the 600 feel! :yahoo: Gee, cubic inches still count. :) duh

I haven't done hole shots with this Feej, but agree about using more revs and slip the clutch to try to keep the front wheel just skimming off the ground. It's REALLY hard on the clutch.

Thanks for sharing the video.

I haven't done hole shots with this Feej, but agree about using more revs and slip the clutch to try to keep the front wheel just skimming off the ground. It's REALLY hard on the clutch.
Thanks to the FJR's mid-range torque (especially after Wicked Webby's air box mod) there's really no need to launch at high RPMs. There's plenty of torque in the mid-range, and the lower RPMs will be easier on the clutch. The wheel speed will catch up to the engine speed much quicker, resulting in less slipping.

Looks like just above 4500 RPMs is the sweet spot for launching with the modded air box, according to Wicked Webby's dyno chart:

FJR1300DYNORuns.jpg

Thanks for sharing the video.
Thanks for watching :)

I just learned how to link directly to the "high quality" version of youtube videos, so here they are again...

My FJR vs a CBR600F4i:

My dad's charger is the raspy sounding exhaust in his video.