Steering Stem Wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedjunkie

Reaction score
Ok, where's the best place to buy the steering stem spanner wrench? You know, the one that has the cutout for a torque wrench? TIA!

Mike

Just FYI, the original Yammy part (which is no better than the Bikejohnny one) is maybe twice as expensive.

BikeJohnny's comes as a kit with a front axle allen socket. Combined you say quite a bit over the individual pricing (about the cost of just the wrench from Yammy).

I documented an alternative source for the spanner in my write up at:

https://www.bikes-n-spikes.org/maint/shb/shb.html

In fact, K&L is the contractor that provides the tool to Yammy as both part numbers are on the Yammy spanner.

shb01.jpg

part number KL-0201D (K&L Supply)

I got the Bike Johnny set up cuz it was on special at the time, $20 for both IIRC. I was using a modified Progressive shock tool, but it was a poor substitute for the real thing. Anything though beats the hammer and drift I had used for years on all my old stuff. God, I'm gettin' fancy in my old age... :p

https://www.komotodraggin.com/
i have this one and it works great.
Does anyone else have the komotodraggin steering head wrench and are you happy with it?

I'm looking for some sort of consensus. I like the look of this tool but 75 bucks? Holy crap and I thought the 27mm and 36mm sockets were outrageous.

I just put new rotors on, had the wheel rebalanced and put on a MC Larry fork brace and I still have a slight wobble at 45-50 with hands off the bars. I wasn't really expecting the two farkles above to fix my problem so now I need to figure it out.

I took the bike back to the dealer a few kilomiles ago because there was a definite clunk during braking. Now that's gone but I'm not sure that I trust their work and I'd like to recheck it myself. This seems so much more accurate than a spanner.

Cheers,

Jim

Are you running Avons? They have a reputation for having a wobble occasionally. I had a Tomahawk tire that was perfectly balanced, but out of round, and it REALLY had a wobble.

Looks like the Bike Johnny is a pretty good deal. Rad's link didn't quite work. Try this one:

Bike Johnny Head Bearing wrench

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you running Avons? They have a reputation for having a wobble occasionally. I had a Tomahawk tire that was perfectly balanced, but out of round, and it REALLY had a wobble.
I am running Avons. So that's an interesting bit of info.

As far as the wrench goes, putting the torque wrench at an offset from the turning axis of the bolt means (I think) that you have to calculate the increased amount of torque to compensate. Granted you only have to do it once and write it in the service manual.

The Komotodraggin tool applies the torque directly along the turning axis like a socket. I just seems more professional. Maybe I'll stop by the dealer and see what the pros use. If it wasn't for the, IMHO, crazy price of 75 bones for a big socket, it would be a no brainer. As it is, the Bike Johnny wrench is going to be about $33 plus shipping.

I think I'm getting farkle budget blues. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Jim

I bought a strut gland nut removing tool from ipdusa.com, a Volvo parts place for $27 plus shipping. Haven't tried it yet because I had just torqued the stearing stem another way. Looks like it will work. The bearing came loose at 5k mi and was clunking on bumps and breaking, not unusual I've read.