04 FJR vs 03 FZ1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Note that the FZ1 has 2 bro's carbon fiber exhaust, dog bones raised it up a little, timing advaner, and jet kit tuned by professionals.

My FJR has almost everything farkled, including wilbur's rear shock with upgraded spring.

After 400 miles, I still jumped off the highway and did a 20 mile stint on the twisties because I really wanted to see what the bike would do other than on the highway. I'm glad I did! :D

1. Fjr is much more comfortable and has much better wind protection. However, the FZ1, while having more steady airflow, has no buffeting issues.

2. FZ1 is doable for a 400 mile ride with only 2 gas stops, although advil is recommended!

3. FZ1 isn't supposed to be that much faster, but holy crap it sure feels like it. It gets up to tripple digits really really really fast.

4. There is actually less handlebar vibration on the FZ1.

5. The FZ1 handles great. It is much easier to turn in. It is also much more sensative to countersteering and body movements.

6. The FJR has much more torque down low. The FZ1 definately requires downshifting to hit it.

7. You can be doing 75 in 5th, drop it down to 3rd, and it freeking flies like a jet!!!!!

8. The smoothness of the throttle control made me realize how much more the FJR's has a somewhat jerky throttle on/off.

If anyone has been considering picking one up as a second bike, I would definately recommend it. I would not replace my FJR with it though. The FJR is just a better fit for the long distance, all day riding I normally do. I think it is a great stable mate for the FJR, and for the price of a used one, it is really worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the writeup. I have an 03 FZ1 and thoughts of moving to an FJR so it is nice to read this. Very helpful.

Having spent 30K on an '03 FZ1 and 11K on my FJR, I'll agree with everything you said aside from the buffeting. I found it worse on the FZ1 and went through countless screens before compromising on the Puig Double Bubble. I did back to back 700 mile days several times on that bike (stock seat) with no issues. I miss that bike.

Having spent 30K on an '03 FZ1 and 11K on my FJR, I'll agree with everything you said aside from the buffeting. I found it worse on the FZ1 and went through countless screens before compromising on the Puig Double Bubble. I did back to back 700 mile days several times on that bike (stock seat) with no issues. I miss that bike.
I'm glad I have both! Wish it was a little warmer, I really favor the FJR on cold days because of the wind protection.

2 things about wind,

1. You have an 07, your front fairing is a little different than mine. (04).

2. My FZ1 has a zero gravity, I think that helps out a lot.

The buffeting on any bike seems to be such an individual issue. Everyone's body, helmet, screen, likes and dislikes prevent a one size fits all solution. I've had buffeting problems on almost all bikes and I've been able to solve them for the most part.

The strongest appeal of an FJR to me is better 2 up riding and greater cargo capacity. When I have a smaller bike I miss all the convenient tourability. When I have a bigger bike I miss the sportiness of a lighter bike with a big engine. If Yamaha made a hard core touring bike half way between the FJR and FZ1, like the BMW K1200S that would be spot on target for me. I am surprised nobody makes a bike like that except the Germans.

(My FZ1 is a bee too.)

Yamaha made a hard core touring bike half way between the FJR and FZ1, like the BMW K1200S that would be spot on target for me. I am surprised nobody makes a bike like that except the Germans.
You might want to consider the Sprint St 1050. Sweet bike, supposed to be quite a bit more nimble than the FJR. Still more than fast enough to earn you a speeding ticket.

100_1866rs.jpg

I had an '02 FZ1 when I bought my '04 FJR, and sold it.

I go along with the above, even tho' it is pretty close to the FJR in many respects.

I just bought a '01 FZ1 to do the shorter rides locally, and save the miles on my '06 FJR. I like them both for different riding. The first FZ1 sat because the FJR was newer and I did more longer riding, so I sold it. Always missed the bike, and decided to have the best of both worlds.

For what it is worth...

B)

You might want to consider the Sprint St 1050. Sweet bike, supposed to be quite a bit more nimble than the FJR.
I test rode a Sprint. IMO they're 2 different bikes. The Sprint is a MUCH smaller bike with a more aggressive seating position. More forward body angle and tighter leg position for the rider. If you still fold up easily, then it might be a contender. I don't, so it wasn't. It was a really fun 45 minute bike for me (stop every 45 minutes to unkink).

Oh... and it's chain driven. Some don't mind it, but others do.

I had a lot of fun riding the Sprint but I knew I couldn't love it long term.

Yamaha made a hard core touring bike half way between the FJR and FZ1, like the BMW K1200S that would be spot on target for me. I am surprised nobody makes a bike like that except the Germans.
You might want to consider the Sprint St 1050. Sweet bike, supposed to be quite a bit more nimble than the FJR. Still more than fast enough to earn you a speeding ticket.
Boy you got me on that one. The Sprint ST would be half way between the FZ1 and FRJ. But I'll pass anyway. For some reason Triumphs don't register with me. I never think about them and when I'm in a dealership or at a bike show, I walk right past them like they are not even there. I don't even consciously dislike them, which is just about the worst thing I could say about a bike. I realize they are nice bikes and I have no good reason for not liking them, I admit.

If Triumphs were the only bikes on earth would I still ride? Probably, yeah :blink: :blink: :blink: .

Got both, love both. Guess I just can't go wrong when I go...

Right on with the 2-up on the FJR. Sally and I go 900 miles in a day on the stock seats, no problem. The FZ-1 is good for only 450-500 miles 2-up. I have a 700# rear spring and 1.1 fork springs on the FZ-1, for 2-up riding and it is rock solid with Sally on the back. So far the stock suspension on the FJR has served adequately. Both can disappear around the next bend with equal aplomb.

I just joined this forum and posted this as a new member. I'm starting to miss my FZ1 already, but like you guys I guess if I still miss it a month from now I can always buy another one to go with the FJR.

"I just purchased my first FJR; a new 07 that I haven’t even taken delivery of yet. I’m not going to state my age, but I have been riding (on and off road) since 1964, so you can do the math, if you care to. I sure hope this FJR is as nice as everyone says because I sold my Yamaha FZ1 to get this heavier, touring capable machine, and I am now going through a bit of seller’s remorse; I loved that “flickable” FZ1 on our back country roads! But, almost everyone says that after a short time on the FJR I will actually like it better than the FZ1. Please tell me they are right!"[/i]

"I just purchased my first FJR; a new 07 that I haven’t even taken delivery of yet. I’m not going to state my age, but I have been riding (on and off road) since 1964, so you can do the math, if you care to. I sure hope this FJR is as nice as everyone says because I sold my Yamaha FZ1 to get this heavier, touring capable machine, and I am now going through a bit of seller’s remorse; I loved that “flickable” FZ1 on our back country roads! But, almost everyone says that after a short time on the FJR I will actually like it better than the FZ1. Please tell me they are right!"[/i]
I think you will like the FJR. While I am fairly certain the capabilities of the FZ1 in the tight stuff surpasses the FJRs capabilities, I am most definately faster on the FJR than I am on the FZ1. But that just comes from comfort and experience, whereas the FZ1 is totally new to me, and still scares the crap outta me.

You can pick up a nice used FZ1 for between $4-5k.

I think you will like the FJR. While I am fairly certain the capabilities of the FZ1 in the tight stuff surpasses the FJRs capabilities, I am most definately faster on the FJR than I am on the FZ1. But that just comes from comfort and experience, whereas the FZ1 is totally new to me, and still scares the crap outta me.

I picked up the FJR yesterday and although I only have 100 miles on it I have to say you were right; I like it. It really doesn't feel all that different than the FZ1; a little bit heavier feel but certainly acceptable. I like the adjustable windshield, the brakes, the extra carrying capacity, and it is still fun in the twisties. My FZ1 sellers remorse is gone so it is now time to start getting used to the FRJ. Thanks.

Or you could get a nice, slightly used 2nd gen FZ1, 06> and have something that REALLY scares the crap out of you! :yahoo:

Roger

06 Shift Red FZ1 @ 5,900 miles

Pick up the adjustable rear suspension link from Dale Walker and put it in the 1" higher position. My FZ-1 turns so much better with the back picked up compared to the stock position and it's not nervous at high speeds. The only drawback is the rear tire is not off the ground when you put the bike on the centerstand, so it requires some creative planning if you use the centerstand to lube the chain.

Tony

Pick up the adjustable rear suspension link from Dale Walker and put it in the 1" higher position. My FZ-1 turns so much better with the back picked up compared to the stock position and it's not nervous at high speeds. The only drawback is the rear tire is not off the ground when you put the bike on the centerstand, so it requires some creative planning if you use the centerstand to lube the chain.

Tony
I have the adjustable dog bones and on the center stand, my back tire still clears the ground, but JUST barely... Maybe they aren't Dale Walker, can't remember???

Definately worth it though. You can always use a block of wood will give you the extra 1" you need if the tire doesn't clear the ground.

I considered the FZ1 until I rode the 1250 bandit. Both great bikes but the low end power of the bandit was something that really got my attention over the FZ1.

I considered the FZ1 until I rode the 1250 bandit. Both great bikes...
I don't think you would be disappointed with the new Bandit.

vasteve makes fine dogbones also. In addition to ones on my FZ-1(and I cannot remember where I got mine either), I put a set of his on my FJR, noticeable improvement.