04 FJR vs 03 FZ1

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I considered the FZ1 until I rode the 1250 bandit. Both great bikes...
I don't think you would be disappointed with the new Bandit.

vasteve makes fine dogbones also. In addition to ones on my FZ-1(and I cannot remember where I got mine either), I put a set of his on my FJR, noticeable improvement.
If my FJR was any higher, I wouldn't be able to touch the ground!

Coincidence! I just sold my '02 FZ1 this last weekend. I found I pretty much stopped riding it when I got my '07 FJR. So much more comfortable for me, riding position, wind protection, etc. I still enjoyed riding the FZ1 when I did take it out, but usually chose the FJR. Now I'm a one bike guy (for now).

hmmmmm. FZ1 huh...somthing to think about..maybe I can talk my wife(expieranced rider) to buy one for her...and ill stretch its legs while she is at work :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All kneel before The Great God TORQUE...

Er, um, there IS a certain type of motorcycle with a "V" design motor that generates a lot of torque way down there,it *THAT'S* your criteria.

*snicker snicker*

On topic, I am 99.9% 2-up on the FJR, which is why I bought the oversized sportie. I already had an FZ-1, but while 2-up on the FZ-1 is fun, travel distances were limited by the crowded feeling and the eventual monkeybutt factor. On the rare occasion I can get out alone I usually go right for the FZ-1. In part the ride and destination has to be considered. If I am slabbing it to my brother's in NJ for a quick visit I would probably take the FJR. But one weekend last fall I was allowed to go solo so I took the long way from PA to Suches on the FZ-1, 2,000+ miles round trip. Butt was just a little sore.

On the other hand Sally and I did 4,000 miles in 9 days to SD and back on the FJR, and butts were not sore at all. For that the FJR is perfect for us.

My problem I have is switching between the bikes. They are different, and I feel like a complete noob for little while each time I change, then I get used to it. Must be getting old.... But it is nice to have two bikes in the stable, one that can go fast and one that can go really fast through the twisties. I am not displeased with either bike, and if I had a Bandit instead of the FZ-1 I would probably be happy with it. Both will go just fine one-up through the twisties and keep me smiling.

Last year I totalled only 4,000 miles on the FZ-1, and Sally and I did 16,000 miles on the FJR. Every mile was a blast! I am glad I have both the FZ-1 and the FJR.

But if you are considering buying one or the other, or have to choose to keep one or the other, be sure of your type of riding, get comments like these, and compare as best as you can the same types from the competition, then make the best informed choice.

How about a B-King? Wheel base is a little long but lots of HP and it could be a demi-god of torque....

Your observations are pretty much what I found too. My FZ1, ridden moderately will get 48MPG and with the higher windscreen (Givi) and a Corbin seat with sheepskin cover, it'll easily do a 500 miles day without sending me to the chiropractor. Definately has more motor than my FJR but the 5-speed tranny and extra 300cc's require less shifting. Hate to part with the FZ1, but the stable is full. :-(

Your observations are pretty much what I found too. My FZ1, ridden moderately will get 48MPG and with the higher windscreen (Givi) and a Corbin seat with sheepskin cover, it'll easily do a 500 miles day without sending me to the chiropractor. Definately has more motor than my FJR but the 5-speed tranny and extra 300cc's require less shifting. Hate to part with the FZ1, but the stable is full. :-(
What else is in the stable that is taking priority over the FZ?

Do you have a true sports bike, cruiser, or an adventure bike?

What else is in the stable that is taking priority over the FZ?

Do you have a true sports bike, cruiser, or an adventure bike?

I have an '06 GSXR 1000 that is an exceptional piece of machinery. Not too good for a 10-hour day though. Also, a 2005 KLR 650 that has been my 60MPG commuter. :)

I have an '06 GSXR 1000 that is an exceptional piece of machinery. Not too good for a 10-hour day though. Also, a 2005 KLR 650 that has been my 60MPG commuter. :)
I wanted a GSXR or an RC51, but couldn't afford the insurance. It's WAY cheaper for the FZ1, like it's so much safer??? :dntknw:

I don't blame you for ditchin the FZ1 then.

At my age, well past a half century, insurance isn't a problem. Now, one more speeding ticket and it could become one though.

Love the power delivery of the Sazook. It handles like a dream but I feel folded/spindled/mutilated after a few hours in the saddle. I can ride the FZ1 all day and not be as tired. I hope the FJR isn't like rasslin' a bear through the curves. It sure seems nimble enough from my first impressions.

At my age, well past a half century, insurance isn't a problem. Now, one more speeding ticket and it could become one though.
Love the power delivery of the Sazook. It handles like a dream but I feel folded/spindled/mutilated after a few hours in the saddle. I can ride the FZ1 all day and not be as tired. I hope the FJR isn't like rasslin' a bear through the curves. It sure seems nimble enough from my first impressions.
The FJR's stock suspension is a little soft if your coming from an FZ and a GSXR. By no means is it bad though, if anything, you'll be impressed with how it handles given it's weight.

If the FJR doesn't handle like you want it to, look into suspension upgrades. New springs up front, aftermarket rear shock, and the bike handles like a dream. Its never going to be a gsxr, but thats not what you bought it for anyway! :)

I can't even imagine the power on a true litre bike. The FZ1 doesn't really count....

I can't even imagine the power on a true litre bike. The FZ1 doesn't really count....
[SIZE=12pt] Oh, Keith, my friend![/SIZE]

I think any 450 lb bike making better than 140 hp at the rear wheel counts for something. Granted most of the bikes in the link below are no longer completely stock but they are street bikes, not purpose built drag bikes. Even stock gen 2 FZ1's like mine "can" under the right conditions run the quarter in the 10's.

With very little work the FZ1's will compete with the best liter bikes in a sprint. They do have asthma right off the showroom floor to meet stringent emission requirements, and aerodynamics limit their top speed versus some other sport bikes, but to give the impression that they don't run with the big boys ...shame, shame!

Check out the link below. There is at least one 9 second 1st gen FZ in there, and a bunch of 10's.

You may have to sign up to see these, but then again you may already be a member.

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63011

Roger

[SIZE=12pt] Oh, Keith, my friend![/SIZE]

I think any 450 lb bike making better than 140 hp at the rear wheel counts for something. Granted most of the bikes in the link below are no longer completely stock but they are street bikes, not purpose built drag bikes. Even stock gen 2 FZ1's like mine "can" under the right conditions run the quarter in the 10's.

With very little work the FZ1's will compete with the best liter bikes in a sprint. They do have asthma right off the showroom floor to meet stringent emission requirements, and aerodynamics limit their top speed versus some other sport bikes, but to give the impression that they don't run with the big boys ...shame, shame!

Check out the link below. There is at least one 9 second 1st gen FZ in there, and a bunch of 10's.

You may have to sign up to see these, but then again you may already be a member.

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63011

Roger
Yes but, if you put equal amount of investment into an R1 or GSX-R 1000 the performance curve will also go up. Those bikes are running high 9's right out of the box!

You know, I've never ridden a GSX-r 1000 or R1. I guess my FZ1 is no slouch, is has jet kit, timing advancer, and slipon exhaust. For some reason I still find myself scared of riding a supersport litre bike. It could just be the image? Maybe I should try it and find out for myself.

I had a '01 or '03 FZ1, and it was scary fast for me. I actually traded it in because I could not restrain myself from twisting that throttle. I still remember that bike fondly :)

I had a '01 or '03 FZ1, and it was scary fast for me. I actually traded it in because I could not restrain myself from twisting that throttle. I still remember that bike fondly :)
Hey! I know the words to that song!

I had an 02 and I just LOVED that bike... As the RPM's climbed, it just begged for more and more... I had the same problem with going WAYYYY to fast everywhere on it...

The FJR seems to have a different persona. I know it's just about as fast as the FZ1, but I doesn't feel the need to rail around on it...

It's like the FJR has quiet confidence that knows it can your kick ass :assassin: , and the FZ1 is more the rowdy type that wants to SHOW you it can kick your ass. :dwarf:

After a few back to back rides that included trips well up towards 130 - 140 indicated - once for a long time, I traded it in out of fear of my right hand. I went down to a VTX1800 :glare: :blink: :black eye:

While that 1800cc motor was great, that was a 800+ gorilla. After coming off the FZ1, the VTX just collected dust in the garage for a year (think I did mayybee 3000 miles that year).

I'd recommend the FZ1 to anyone with good right hand control... I'd love another, but it (and I am sure the rest of the liter sport bikes) are too much temptation for me.