05 saddlebag disassembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on how to disassemble the left saddlebag. Let me give a little background. The bike fell over before I got it. The only damaged item that wasn't replaced was the left saddlebag. I checked into replacing the cover/lid, but the finances are just not there right now. I thought I would be able to sand and fill the scratches then paint it, only having to carefully mask the rest of the case. I really didn't want to get into having to drill out the rivets on the hinges and everything. Well it turns out that the case has a crack about 3 inches long that starts at the edge of one of the hinges. This requires me to have to disassemble the case to repair. I drilled out the rivets, and took the lid from the bottom of the case. Now I need to remove the outter shell from the inner black plastic to gain access to inside of the shell. Here is where I need some advice. I have removed the double stick tape from the edge, but the two will not seperate. I am thinking there is more double stick tape holding the two pieces together. I have tried pulling them apart, but no luck. I am thinking I will have to fill the space between the inside and outside with some sort of liquid adhesive remover to soften the tape and allow seperation. This is all I can think of. Has anyone else attempted this sort of repair? How did you seperate the two pieces? Once I have them apart, I am going back to the autobody class at my local high school and do the rest of the work.

Jebus, paragraphs man!

You can't remove the inner from the outer liner without creating more damage. I'm pretty sure it's glued in there and, quite possibly, further held in by retaining guide pins. You might try a heat gun on a low setting to the inner liner to see if you can soften the glue.

Good luck.

Why do you need to fix the crack - is it really obvious? The lids aren't waterproof anyway. I recommend drilling the rivets and pulling off the lid for painting - it's fast and easy to do and replacement 5/32 x 1/2" aluminum rivets are pretty common. Also, how are you going to match the color? Colorrite paint is $$$.

Ahh.

I am looking for advice on how to disassemble the left saddlebag. Let me give a little background.
The bike fell over before I got it. The only damaged item that wasn't replaced was the left saddlebag. I checked into replacing the cover/lid, but the finances are just not there right now. I thought I would be able to sand and fill the scratches then paint it, only having to carefully mask the rest of the case. I really didn't want to get into having to drill out the rivets on the hinges and everything.

Well it turns out that the case has a crack about 3 inches long that starts at the edge of one of the hinges. This requires me to have to disassemble the case to repair. I drilled out the rivets, and took the lid from the bottom of the case. Now I need to remove the outter shell from the inner black plastic to gain access to inside of the shell. Here is where I need some advice.

I have removed the double stick tape from the edge, but the two will not seperate. I am thinking there is more double stick tape holding the two pieces together. I have tried pulling them apart, but no luck. I am thinking I will have to fill the space between the inside and outside with some sort of liquid adhesive remover to soften the tape and allow seperation. This is all I can think of.

Has anyone else attempted this sort of repair? How did you seperate the two pieces? Once I have them apart, I am going back to the autobody class at my local high school and do the rest of the work.

FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I am looking for advice on how to disassemble the left saddlebag. Let me give a little background.
The bike fell over before I got it. The only damaged item that wasn't replaced was the left saddlebag. I checked into replacing the cover/lid, but the finances are just not there right now. I thought I would be able to sand and fill the scratches then paint it, only having to carefully mask the rest of the case. I really didn't want to get into having to drill out the rivets on the hinges and everything.

Well it turns out that the case has a crack about 3 inches long that starts at the edge of one of the hinges. This requires me to have to disassemble the case to repair. I drilled out the rivets, and took the lid from the bottom of the case. Now I need to remove the outter shell from the inner black plastic to gain access to inside of the shell. Here is where I need some advice.

I have removed the double stick tape from the edge, but the two will not seperate. I am thinking there is more double stick tape holding the two pieces together. I have tried pulling them apart, but no luck. I am thinking I will have to fill the space between the inside and outside with some sort of liquid adhesive remover to soften the tape and allow seperation. This is all I can think of.

Has anyone else attempted this sort of repair? How did you seperate the two pieces? Once I have them apart, I am going back to the autobody class at my local high school and do the rest of the work.
There, fixed it fer yas.

I do have the colorite matched paint, it came with the bike when I received it. I am not needing water proofness, It is a structural thing. The crack is located from the hinge, and each time the lid is opened it opens the crack, so it is going to get worse with use, even if I am careful. If I am unable to seperate the inner and outer, I will just make a aluminum patch and glue and rivet it over the crack to add the needed support. It will not be super obvious since it is almost under the bag when installed. This is my second option now. I am going to have a little time over the long weekend to play with it.