'06 buzz through the bars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an '05 with a little over 16,000 miles on it. The bike has been farkled to within an inch of its life....suspension mods, seats, wind screens, you name it. My only gripe with this otherwise wonderful machine continues to be the issue of buzzing through the bars. I've tried a multitude of grips ( now using Grip Puppies over the stock grips ), three different sets of risers ( now using NPL 6 degree offset ), several different sets of bar ends ( now using Throttlemeisters...heavy version ) and I've done everything else I can think of ( multiple TBS's, etc. ) to address the buzz. It is still there and as bad as ever. I'm going to take the bike to my local dealer and have his best mechanic ( Known him for years...one of the best I've ever seen ) go over every nut and bolt for proper torqueing. As others have said, it may just be a case where the harmonics of this engine are such that the buzz is going to remain an issue, no matter what you do. If that proves to be so, then this bike will be sold pronto. I truly love everything else about my FJR and sincerely hope I don't have to sell it.

I'm going to take the bike to my local dealer and have his best mechanic ( Known him for years...one of the best I've ever seen ) go over every nut and bolt for proper torqueing. As others have said, it may just be a case where the harmonics of this engine are such that the buzz is going to remain an issue, no matter what you do. If that proves to be so, then this bike will be sold pronto. I truly love everything else about my FJR and sincerely hope I don't have to sell it.

Please keep us advised of the outcome......

Has anyone tried those snake things, or filling the bars with BBs 9or something like BBs)?

I thought about trying to put lead shotgun shot in the bars. However, due to the construction design of the FJR's bars, this is not an option.

Has anyone tried those snake things, or filling the bars with BBs 9or something like BBs)?
Filling the bars with BBs? If you did that, it sound like a rattlesnake coming down the road!!!! Huuummmm, maybe that'd be a good deterent for deer and other wildlife that might get in your way!!!

Filling the bars with BBs? If you did that, it sound like a rattlesnake coming down the road!!!! Huuummmm, maybe that'd be a good deterent for deer and other wildlife that might get in your way!!!
Not my idea, comes from something I read, somewhere, such as this suggestion:

s" to filling the handlebar to dampen vibration, it works to some extent, but adds a lot of weight. If you are going to go that route, it is best to use lead shot (birdshot). It's inexpensive, won't rust, doesn't rattle near as much as some alternatives (like steel BB's), works well, and will pack tight. You can get lead shot at almost any gun shop, or anyplace that sells reloading supplies (I'd use #6, #7 1/2, or #8 shot). But lead shot does add a lot of weight to the front end. Avoid inferior alternatives like sand or steel BB's. I'd experiment with bar end weights first, and pack the bars as a last resort."

s" to filling the handlebar to dampen vibration, it works to some extent, but adds a lot of weight. If you are going to go that route, it is best to use lead shot (birdshot). It's inexpensive, won't rust, doesn't rattle near as much as some alternatives (like steel BB's), works well, and will pack tight. You can get lead shot at almost any gun shop, or anyplace that sells reloading supplies (I'd use #6, #7 1/2, or #8 shot). But lead shot does add a lot of weight to the front end. Avoid inferior alternatives like sand or steel BB's. I'd experiment with bar end weights first, and pack the bars as a last resort."
I was thinking maybe filling up the handlebars with liquid hand soap and putting a dispensor in the end. My not help the Buzz, but that way I could wash my hands off at the pump after gassing her up without having to go inside to use the bathroom..

I was thinking maybe filling up the handlebars with liquid hand soap and putting a dispensor in the end. My not help the Buzz, but that way I could wash my hands off at the pump after gassing her up without having to go inside to use the bathroom..

way too funny

04 ABS with almost 10k miles - vibration is my only complaint sans a bit of heat and why the miles aren't more - don't think it's from the engine though - my guess is all the crooked paths it takes to drive those wheels is where the vibrations are. My CBR1000RR has a smoother engine and drivetrain and is a hell of a lot cooler in traffic. I love the FJR but the damn buzz and heat can be very annoying.

PS: Done "everything" that can be done and no fix incl TBS, PC3, Bar End, fluids, kitchen sink. etc. - wild though - it can't be fixed!

- Marshall | 2004 FJR1300/ABS

My CBR1000RR has a smoother engine and drivetrain and is a hell of a lot cooler in traffic. I love the FJR but the damn buzz and heat can be very annoying.
PS: Done "everything" that can be done and no fix incl TBS, PC3, Bar End, fluids, kitchen sink. etc. - wild though - it can't be fixed!

- Marshall | 2004 FJR1300/ABS

Everybody is giving us S--t for complaining about it, but after owning Hondas for 40 goddamn years, I guess I''ve gotten spoiled....cause that buzz on the footpegs to me compares to sticking your foot in a bucket of water plugged into a 220 outlet as it's sorta hard to ignore. Then on top of that, my right hand starts to go numb, so I hit the cruise control.......I mean here I am riding down the highway going 90+ mph with my feet & Hands waving in the air. Ain't a pretty picture. But I'm gonna give Yamaha a chance via more miles.......but if it ain't gone in 1,000...I got a sure remedy to get rid of the buzz....

You like that CBR1000RR huh....hopefull Honda will drop that motor in a super sport tourer for us next year...wouldn't that be the nut!....

What other people think about me bitching doesn't mean crap to me. In fact, I'm very happy that the vast majority of FJR owners have no gripe of consequence. On the other hand, I have the greatest empathy for those who are experiencing some issue, or issues, that deminish the enjoyment of their ownership and riding fun. I've tried every procedure ( that has any real merit ) I've heard of to effectively deal with the bar vibration situation. I am now making, along with my trusted dealer, one final effort to mitigate this problem. If we fail, it is out the door for the FJR. I'll look at it as being my bad luck that I got a machine that had this problem to a much greater degree than most others.

I've just made the 600 miles check, AND, had a check ride by the Yamaha representative who have also the same 06' FJR1300A. They checked ALL engine fixes, changed all 4 spark plugs : They told me 'Nothing abnormal', the buzz is specific to this engine, I have to live with. My buzz RPM area is from 4000 to 4500, right in the highway speed :angry: ALSO, my dealer ordered a new right mirror, cause I can't see anything with in the buzz area,,, Anyway, hope this will disappear with more millage, and most important, Yamaha will come with a solution to this issue, otherwise, I think, this is the best sport touring bike on the market, very responsive and funny to pilot, it's like you have a Ferrari on two wheels.

FJR13A

2006 YAMAHA FJR 1300A (0-1.5K- )

2005 YAMAHA FJR 1300A (0-4K)

2003 HONDA VTX 1800C (0-5K)

2001 YAMAHA VSTAR 1100 S (0-5K)

1982 ,,,

They told me 'Nothing abnormal', the buzz is specific to this engine, I have to live with.

So, Yamaha Corp, their Reps, thus the dealers have all known about the little buzz problem this engine produces all along, and rather than spend some money redesigning it, they just keep making it, and took the attitude "IT'S YOUR PROBLEM", huh.

That's probably why the dealers won't let you test drive em.........If the dealer would of disclosed this quirkiness and given me a chance to test drive the bike to see it if bothered me....As much as I luv my 06AE, I'd had a 06 BMWGT in my garage right now as I was 1st on the list to receive one, but cancelled it for my AE...

Seems deceitful and underhanded to me........never dreamed I'd have to deal with deceit and lies with Toyota.......

Could be case for a great class action suit against Yamaha....They'd probably buy us all new BMWs just to keep it out of the press...

let's all stay in touch, I may need your names and ph# for my attorney, who I will contact if the problem proves to make the bike unbearable for me to ride.....

Yea, I know it's my problem and guess I'm nuts to let little thing like buzzing foot pegs and handlebars bother me, BUT THEY DO. Sorry, I can't help it and I'm not gonna go see a shrink to try to make it go away....On the other hand, nobody warned me, not the dealer, not the Manufacturer, and they all knew about it, THAT'S TOTAL BULLSHIT in my book!!

I believe the legal definition is "deceptive trade practices" which entitles one to TRIPLE DAMAGES… make that two BMWs that’d be in my garage!!!

Sounds to me like when Yamaha disassembled all those 1300cc mills to replace the valve guide seals, they put the balance shaft back in wrong.

Class action lawsuit? How naive. We'd get checks for fifty cents and the lawyers would recoup "fees" of millions.

Not that I'd sign on anyway.

Question: do comparos such as the recent one in MCN (FJR vs K12GT) report serious vibration issues in either bike?

Class action lawsuit? How naive. We'd get checks for fifty cents and the lawyers would recoup "fees" of millions.
Not that I'd sign on anyway.

Question: do comparos such as the recent one in MCN (FJR vs K12GT) report serious vibration issues in either bike?

WRONG!!!! But like I said,,,," I luv this bike and I hope the buzz either goes away with use or my brain learns how to numb my senses...

Otherwise, I'll have no choice other than ask Yamaha to buy it back as I mainly ride in the 4500-5000 rmp range... Maybe I could put a turbo on it,,,that way I could cruise doing 2,000 rmp...there's a thought...

They told me 'Nothing abnormal', the buzz is specific to this engine, I have to live with.

So, Yamaha Corp, their Reps, thus the dealers have all known about the little buzz problem this engine produces all along, and rather than spend some money redesigning it, they just keep making it, and took the attitude "IT'S YOUR PROBLEM", huh.

That's probably why the dealers won't let you test drive em.........If the dealer would of disclosed this quirkiness and given me a chance to test drive the bike to see it if bothered me....As much as I luv my 06AE, I'd had a 06 BMWGT in my garage right now as I was 1st on the list to receive one, but cancelled it for my AE...

Seems deceitful and underhanded to me........never dreamed I'd have to deal with deceit and lies with Toyota.......

Could be case for a great class action suit against Yamaha....They'd probably buy us all new BMWs just to keep it out of the press...

let's all stay in touch, I may need your names and ph# for my attorney, who I will contact if the problem proves to make the bike unbearable for me to ride.....

Yea, I know it's my problem and guess I'm nuts to let little thing like buzzing foot pegs and handlebars bother me, BUT THEY DO. Sorry, I can't help it and I'm not gonna go see a shrink to try to make it go away....On the other hand, nobody warned me, not the dealer, not the Manufacturer, and they all knew about it, THAT'S TOTAL BULLSHIT in my book!!

I believe the legal definition is "deceptive trade practices" which entitles one to TRIPLE DAMAGES… make that two BMWs that’d be in my garage!!!
Lawyers to fix the terrible buzzing that only you can feel?

Like the shrink said to the guy in Saran Wrap underwear: "I can clearly see you're nuts."

One suggestion before you go to your lawyer. Double check the torque of the Motor Mount Bolts.

If you have the PC lll download Wally's smoothness map. I had a similar problem with my 03 but completely went away with the above and synching the throttlebodies, which you have already done.

Oh and I went to iridium plugs at the same time but I don't think that affected the vibes.