'06 drive train vibration/resonance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bramfrank

BramFrank
Reaction score
Here we have a new (4 days old) '06 with 600 miles on her. Out for a ride with a couple of buddies (1 Busa, 1 ZX14, 1 K1200s and 1 R1) and . . . .

Accelerating through 180 kph (112 mph) there is a rhythmic pulsation that almost feels like a light grinding from the drive train that continues all the way up through 240 kph (148 mph - she had a bit more oomph, but I didn't take her any higher).

This bike also doesn't roll smoothly at high speeds.

The ZX14 owner used to have an FJR and we swapped. (nice bike - very smooth) He pronounced 'There is something wrong' and, because I am leaving for South America today for a week, offered to speak to our collective dealer on my behalf while I am out of town (he has bought many machines from this one).

They've revised the entire system with the longer swing arm and other stuff . . .

Anyone else seeing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bramfrank,

That isn't right. I haven't felt any kind of drivetrain resonance or 'grinding' from my 06 drivetrain - 1300 miles.

I'm no expert, but I would suspect an out of true alignment on the driveshaft and /or components.

Get it looked at !! :blink:

nothing like that on my 06. very smooth drive train. although 120mph is all shes seen so far. bete..

Before getting too far into diagnosis, I would remove re-install the left side swing arm as you may have an alignment issue with the shaft.

...BramF., I would hazard a guess that what you describe is not an uncommon condition. My `04 has done it from day one...a VERY high frequency vibe that is ryhmic in character and only @ high speeds. Even early bike mag reviewsup here in Canada stated things like: "the counter balancers have their work cut out for them". Even so, if there is is something wrong, a good mechanic should find it. :assassin:

I have the same symptoms occuring. at around 110 mph up to 140 I felt the same thing. was hoping breakin would fix.Causing a lack of trust in bike, or I would have pushed faster.Now Im really worried.Not sure how dealer would react to symptom ocurring at such speeds.

Not sure how dealer would react to symptom ocurring at such speeds.
Who cares what he thinks about the speed. It falls within the bikes designed range. It's none of his business how fast you ride, although I hope this exercise was done responsibly ;) . I would certainly want the situation documented and explored.