06' electrical

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue

Reaction score
Got a message from a guy I talked to from Cypress at the show yesterday... He said the 06' has 590 watt output!

He said the 06' has a larger load but the 06' has an extra 70 watts of available power.

I'm going to call him tommarow and see if I can verify this and ask about retro-fitting.

It's hard to believe they wouldn't have announced it if it's true.

We shall see.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2004 and later R1s have an alternator rated at 560-watts @ 5000RPM, nominal.

Now with regard to the 2006 models..... someone is mis-informed.

Now, that someone might be the Cypress dude that Rogue's friend spoke to at the Bike Show, or..... it might be the senior executive in Yamaha Motorcycle Division I spoke to a couple of months ago on this exact, same subject. The senior exec swore up and down there is NO change from the current 490-watt system the FJR has had from Day One.

However, the exec is only repreating what the guys in the Yamaha Technical Division are telling him. Are they wrong? Hey, anything is possible, I suppose....

Personally, I'm betting on my senior exec.... but then,
shrug.gif

The story from Rogue's buddy also doesn't quite add up mathematically. If the bike actually got a 70-watt increase as stated, that would make it a 560-watt alternator, not 590-watts.

560-watts..... which is exactly the R1's alternator output.... hmmmmmm..... :eh:

'05 and earlier are 490 watts. Does anybody think the 100 watt difference seem suspiciously like the Cypress person might have blew the first digit?

I remain pessimistic, but fingers crossed they have fixed this in the '06.

All of this begs the question.

If Mammy Yammy upped the output to 590 watts for '06 (to address the increased load from mandatory ABS, LBS, and optional AE), who will be the first to see if the '06 unit can be retrofitted into the '05 and earlier models?

All of this begs the question.
If Mammy Yammy upped the output to 590 watts for '06 (to address the increased load from mandatory ABS, LBS, and optional AE), who will be the first to see if the '06 unit can be retrofitted into the '05 and earlier models?
Same motor, ain't it? I would think the swap would be doable. Maybe Skooter will be the first as he needs it for his heated vest with auxiliary quiche warming pocket...

Rumor, rumor, rumor I tell you!

And I bet it's false.

Seriously. I will bet anybody it's a false rumor and the alternator is still 490 watts. C'mon anybody? A $20 bet could net you $20 if you really believe they're going to change it? 560, 590, whatever. I'm ready to put $20 with anybody who will take my bet that it's not anymore than 490 watts like in previous years.

Iggy, I won't take your bet.

I've got an 06 on order - and while I'd really like to think I'm gettin extra watts, I don't think it's there.

Doesn't make sense that they'd upgrade a weak point in the bike and not announce it -

I'll know for sure once I take delivery.

:(

Seriously. I will bet anybody it's a false rumor and the alternator is still 490 watts. C'mon anybody? A $20 bet could net you $20 if you really believe they're going to change it? 560, 590, whatever. I'm ready to put $20 with anybody who will take my bet that it's not anymore than 490 watts like in previous years.
:rolleyes:

I`ll take that bet. You need my address? :ph34r:

I would think depositing $20 each with a reputable third party (perhaps Warchild would be agreeable) to hold the money. Then either the 2006's are delivered with user or service manuals, wattage published on a bonafide website, or some other obvious answer to the bet.

If you agree to these terms, I'll be first to deposit $20 with Warchild.

Well I talked to the guy again today, He still says 590watts.

I could believe 30 watts (Peak) more power used on the AE with the soliniod for the shifter and any other power needed for new FI & linkled braking controller. which would leave 70 watts to spare extra.

When I brought up power at the show he said "just rewind the stator ... as a mfg rep I can't recomend this. He didn't believe me when I told him it was tried and didn't work. When I talked to him today he said he checked on rewinding the stator... he found out it wouldn't work... the "core" would need to be replaced.

I asked him about retro-fitting to a 03'-05' and he said he would check on it but "I cann't reccomend it unless the factory says it will work". He said he would probaly get back to me next week.

So we still won't know for sure untill someone can check out an 06' but this is what this guy believes.

Got a message from a guy I talked to from Cypress at the show yesterday... He said the 06' has 590 watt output!He said the 06' has a larger load but the 06' has an extra 70 watts of available power.

I'm going to call him tommarow and see if I can verify this and ask about retro-fitting.

It's hard to believe they wouldn't have announced it if it's true.

We shall see.
So are you saying this will be 70 watts or so over the spare 120 or so that we already have? Giving us 190 watts for farkles?

When/if you talk to the guy, get him to break it down. Induiring minds want to know.