06' electrical

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the '06 has a glove box solenoid release similar to the present models then about 9 or 10 watts of additional power will be needed for this function. This solenoid will be energized whenever the key is switched on. The neutral switch has been removed from this circuit. Hopefully, they've redesigned this locking mechanism so that minimal continuous power is required.

If the '06 has a glove box solenoid release similar to the present models then about 9 or 10 watts of additional power will be needed for this function.  This solenoid will be energized whenever the key is switched on.  The neutral switch has been removed from this circuit.  Hopefully, they've redesigned this locking mechanism so that minimal continuous power is required.
Huh?

I don't believe the solenoid on the '06 would be energized all the time. Would get kinda warm after a VERY short while, then lot's of expensive smoke would escape from the solenoid.

There are many applications where solenoids are energized continuously with no ill effects. If a solenoid latching mechansim is utilized in the '06, I doubt it will be energized only when the key is switched off.

I read somewhere that the stator windings on the '06 alternator will use square cross section conductors rather than round wire. This will increase the current carrying capacity of the windings -- more copper in the same space. They have also upgraded the temperature rating of the winding insulation so that higher currents and temperatures can be tolerated.

If the '06 has a glove box solenoid release similar to the present models then about 9 or 10 watts of additional power will be needed for this function.  This solenoid will be energized whenever the key is switched on.  The neutral switch has been removed from this circuit.  Hopefully, they've redesigned this locking mechanism so that minimal continuous power is required.
Huh?

I don't believe the solenoid on the '06 would be energized all the time. Would get kinda warm after a VERY short while, then lot's of expensive smoke would escape from the solenoid.
The glove box on both show bikes in LB were not controlled by a solenoid. Both opened with a push of the latch release button. Dunno if these were disconnected for show purposes or if this is a 'value added feature because we listened to our customers' change.

I would think depositing $20 each with a reputable third party (perhaps Warchild would be agreeable) to hold the money.  Then either the 2006's are delivered with user or service manuals, wattage published on a bonafide website, or some other obvious answer to the bet.
If you agree to these terms, I'll be first to deposit $20 with Warchild.

Well, this is fine with me :D

I would ASS-ume this Warchild fella is trust worthy. <_<

Well, this is fine with me :D I would ASS-ume this Warchild fella is trust worthy. <_<
Rick,

I've just looked at your sig line. I actually think I remember meeting you now in Denver at the IBR this year. You have a three digit IBA number so that carries more weight than FNG status on this board. If you trust me, I trust you in this case. Payable at the national meet?

.....I'm sticking my hand out in a virtual handshake. It's a bet!

:clap:

Done deal! How about a side bet-----------a beer in Reno?

IIRC you tech`ed my bike-yes? I had to remove one AMA decal.. :erm:

Dunno if these were disconnected for show purposes or if this is a 'value added feature because we listened to our customers' change.
Well then, if they actually listened to the customers, the alternator output would definitely be increased. The potential for consumption was definitely increased by adding the power socket. I tend to think it was more along the lines of chasing the competitors, as opposed to acting on customer feedback.

Done deal! How about a side bet-----------a beer in Reno?
IIRC you tech`ed my bike-yes? I had to remove one AMA decal.. :erm:
$20 and a beer in Reno yes.

I don't think I did tech. your bike. Yours has the neoprene tank cover and I remember seeing it....just not teching it. There were 4 or 5 us there.

What ever happened to all the European Police-spec FJR's? Didn't they have some kind of aternator upgrade to power their lights and such? Wouldn't that have been mandatory for Yamaha to address this issue to try to get LEO contracts? You'd think there would be a parts kit for a retrofit, eh?

Just curious.......... :unsure:

Iggy,   I won't take your bet.
No problem. I'm fishing for the suck.......errr......big fish.......with 700+ posts ;)
HEY! I heard that!

I read somewhere that the stator windings on the '06 alternator will use square cross section conductors rather than round wire. This will increase the current carrying capacity of the windings -- more copper in the same space.
Won't the round electrons get stuck in the corners of the square wire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the added gear indicator, fuel consumption and outside air temp indicator - different tailight and I think different headlamps - combined with the electronic shift on the AE they might put a 590 in all of them. Just a thought.

QUOTE (Bounce @ Dec 16 2005, 04:00 PM)Won't the round electrons get stuck in the corners of the square wire?
Electrons are shaped like this -. I learned it in school a long time ago. Protons (+), Neutrons (N), and Electrons (-). They should get thru that sguare section wire -- if they all get lined-up? :blink:

Any new news about aftermarket stator upgrades? I recall one or two vendors were looking at this some time ago... :bb2:

If the '06 has a glove box solenoid release similar to the present models then about 9 or 10 watts of additional power will be needed for this function. This solenoid will be energized whenever the key is switched on. The neutral switch has been removed from this circuit. Hopefully, they've redesigned this locking mechanism so that minimal continuous power is required.
Does it really use that much?

Has anyone removed the little solenoid thingie so that you can open the box anytime you like, and not use any power to run it?

Has anyone removed the little solenoid thingie so that you can open the box anytime you like, and not use any power to run it?
TWN did something to his. Not sure just what though. Maybe he can explain?

TWN did something to his. Not sure just what though. Maybe he can explain?
What TWN did to his is illegal in 27 states, Puerto Rico, Guam and the Philippines.

I don't think you want to "do" that to yours.

:assasin: