06 First Service

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeroen_decker

Reaction score
I was told by the dealer that if I do not have the first service professionaly done it voids the warranty. I usually take care of servicing the bike. Has anyone else heard this?

Total
horsecrap.gif

Keep your receipts, make a log entry of what you did (make sure you do everything prescribed) and you'll be fine.

Also see page 9-7 of your Yamaha owners manual for specific warranty terms. There are a few things that it specifically states will void your warranty...failure to have a Yamaha dealer perform your scheduled service isn't one of those exclusions.

IIRC, there was some law passed a few years back stating that a manufacturer can't void your warranty for failure to use their dealership for service...don't hold me to that...anyone???

Disclaimer: I'm not gonna pay for your repairs later if Mama Yamaha says you voided your warranty...so do some additional homework before you make your final decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dealer is lying out his a**. They do that so you take it to them so they can charge you a $180 for a 600 miles service which they will more than likely just change the oil, kick the tires adnd say they did everything else on the service schedule. They cannot force you to have them service your bike by threatening you with a voided warranty. If you keep records, no worries. If you don't there there is a chance they might. when I had my ticker repaired on the YES they asked for nothing but they could have.

The following is quoted in the Y.E.S. extended warranty contract. It is my understanding the conditions are the same for the initial (free) one-year warranty:

The Customer must (a) use the Maintenance Log provided with the Y.E.S. Contract and have it verified by the Yamaha Dealer that performs the services or repairs, or (b the Customer must keep receipts and other records that show the dates, mileage, hours of use (if applicable), costs, services and repairs performed (including Storage).

I chose (b, have done most of the maintenance myself, and back it up with the excellent checklists provided by HMarc on the Micapeak website:

FJR maintenance schedules / checklists

IIRC, there was some law passed a few years back stating that a manufacturer can't void your warranty for failure to use their dealership for service...don't hold me to that...anyone???
No, but there is legislation pending that will force the small indy shops outta bidness and make it harder for us to work on our own bikes. See Fred Rau's editorial in the back of MCN from a couple of month's ago... It's not on the website so you'll have to get a hard copy.

I was told by the dealer that if I do not have the first service professionaly done it voids the warranty.  I usually take care of servicing the bike. Has anyone else heard this?
You are going to get advice all over this.

The bottom line I have learned the past 10 years writing accounting software and working with auditors is to have a paper trail.

Like some one else recommended, keep a comprehensive log of *EVERYTHING* you do on your bike.

Best Regards,

Shane

Now's a good time to start a maintenance folder. You can use software if you like since there are free and for-a-fee options out there.

But, if it needs to be simple and quick to get you to do it, then just a folder with a sheet of paper is fine. Place your receipts for oil, filters, etc. in there. I also put the receipts of all the stuff I buy and install in there too. On the receipts, I put date and mileage when the item was installed. On the sheet of paper, I include

Date:

Milegage:

Description of the service: oil/filter change, installed wilbers rears shock, etc.

In the description I also include additional info that might be helpful later: installed NGK iridium plugs, # CR8IEX, verified gap .028 - .031

This creates the paper trail Yamaha might demand. It also add to the resale value. I know that looking at a used bike with all that documentation saved means they usually took the time to care for the bike better than the average person.

Jeroen,

Bouce is right software would make your life easier if it fits your style.

As I am sure you did when you purchased your bike, compare all options.

For your software evaluation, download the free ones, other commercial ones, and please compare them to my software Drivers Log

(www.StumpWare.com/DriversLogSetup.exe).

Do a few things like:

1) Enter maintenance records.

2) Enter accessory records.

3) Enter tire records.

4) Enter fuel records.

If you have a scanner, use each product's feature to scan in the receipts for each record.

The most important thing on using software is it needs to be simple and complete.

Most software products come with a history list of how the product has been developed (fixes / changes / additions). I have found that the history list is good indication of what kind of support you are going to get if you have problems or ideas!

Best Regards,

Shane

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states in part:

©  Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by CommissionNo warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest.
More on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Click Here.

Regardless, your dealer is your first line of defense in any warranty claim against Yamaha. It is worth a certain amount of $$ and effort to maintain a good relationship with your dealer if for no other reason than this.

In the case of the dealer telling you that the service is a requirement, show him this section of the law as well as the pertinent section of the owner's manual and give him the chance to claim ignorance. Depending on his reaction, seek another dealer to do business with.

I just keep my log in the garage where th work is done. Fill it out while putting tools away or letting the oil drain. Works wll for me. Done deal. Log and maintanence in one shot.

I just keep my log in the garage where th work is done. Fill it out while putting tools away or letting the oil drain. Works wll for me. Done deal. Log and maintanence in one shot.
Yep. That was my point. Many times, heading to the PC, firing it up, loading the software, etc. is a detriment to maintaining ANY log. Sometimes simple is best. Paper is sometimes that means of making sure you do it at all.

Yep. That was my point. Many times, heading to the PC, firing it up, loading the software, etc. is a detriment to maintaining ANY log. Sometimes simple is best. Paper is sometimes that means of making sure you do it at all.
This I agree with - it depends on how much information / audit trail the user wants.

The funny thing is for every person who tells me DL has too much information, I have two users asking for it to do more :D !

Best Regards,

Shane

And an unknown quantity of people who don't tell you anything.

Shit, man, I was just telling someone why it's good to keep a log and you turn it into a Ronco Infomercial. Can you perhaps keep the self-promotion contained to the vendor forum?