06 FJR ABS disabling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gody

Reaction score
Hi,

On some BMW's bikes there is an option, to disable ABS thru some procedure at motorcycle startup.

I'm wondering if ABS on 2006 FJR can be disabled as well and how.

Before You ask wha I would perform such insane act: In manual it says, that in case of electrical malfunction ABS is disabled and You have regular performing brakes. And I would like to test how bike is performing without ABS before such malfunction, when it can be too late to test.

lp

gody

Since the previous two posts were so helpfull. Execuse me, i'll step in.

Have you tried not braking? The throttle is there for a reason :D

Next!

Since the previous two posts were so helpfull. Execuse me, i'll step in.Have you tried not braking? The throttle is there for a reason :D

Next!
:)

Yes usualy,

But lady crossing my lane with a car, without any indication, not even slowing down tested my braking ability.

And ABS worked very well (or I be now laying in the hospital if lucky).

But now I wan't to test without ABS just in case some lady tries this again and my ABS is out of order :blink:

However, I thought of pulling out a fuse, but I'm sure Yamaha did some trick with electronic's to disable ABS.

Yes usualy,But lady crossing my lane with a car, without any indication, not even slowing down tested my braking ability.

But now I wan't to test without ABS just in case some lady tries this again and my ABS is out of order :blink:

However, I thought of pulling out a fuse, but I'm sure Yamaha did some trick with electronic's to disable ABS.
I can count the number of real ABS failures I've heard of on no hands, and I do get around the FJR community. Granted, this doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen, but the likelyhood of it occurring is so remote as to be a non-issue, and to think you should practice being without it is, um, foolish, and I'm trying to be nice....... :)

but the likelyhood of it occurring is so remote as to be a non-issue, and to think you should practice being without it is, um, foolish, and I'm trying to be nice....... :)
dang, and you came SO CLOSE.... :p

in 30+ years of riding, i have never had a flat. i know, i know, i just jinxed myself. but since i don't know what it feels like, i was wondering if there was any way to simulate a blowout so i can practice screaming and filling me drawers?

you know, you guys always teach me something. and i used to think ABS, and especially LINKED ABS was for techno dweebs and other BMW owners. then i got a chance to do a full-on test with mr. rudolph the other day, and have concluded that i was wrong. completely wrong. my GAWD this thing will stop fast....

shu

Why not practice until you can stop just befor the ABS activates. That way you'd achieve two goals: 1.) Find where the ABS kicks in, and 2.) Be able to practice the "continual squeeze" technique to the limit of tire adhesion, and have the ABS as a back-up should you skid the front tire.

Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I "practiced" locking up the front wheel without ABS a few times. Trust me when I tell you it's over rated. If you do however decide try it, give it a try on gravel or dirt. :D

(who's bringing the popcorn?)

Based on the folks I know who do such things, ABS is actually a pretty neat thing to have when practicing maximum braking. Without ABS, you only think you know the point at where you lose traction. From that assumption, you practice; always staying just shy of where you think you'll lose that needed traction.

With ABS, you can push past the point of maximum braking and into a slide. The ABS will kick in and you'll know exactly where it was that you crossed the threshhold. So you now know where maximum braking is without the risk of dumping the bike. You can practice maximum braking all day long and get really good at it.

Remember that the ABS doesn't kick in until one of the tires starts to slip. If you properly practicing you'll never trigger the ABS, so the system will be as if it was disabled -- BUT be there in case you push past that threshhold; learning what not to do in the process.

When I got my 05' ABS I knew it was a good thing, but needed to try it out for myself. My local neighborhod streets were being re-furbed at the same time. There was a nice coating of gravel,sand,dirt, etc. right next to my house so I thought "what the hell". If I crash it , it's a short crawl to my house for a 911 call. I approached the strip of tarmac next to my residence at approx. 60 MPH and "slammed" on both front and rear binders at the same time. While the ABS made alot of "racket", it pulled the beast down to a dead straight stop before I knew it! I almost fell over because I stopped so quickly. Barely got my feet down in time. Since then I've had a few occasions that the ABS has kicked in. I'm a believer now. You never feel (04'/05') it there until you really need it. Hopefully the 06' linked version works as well if not better. Just my $.02 worth.............

I would like to test how bike is performing without ABS before such malfunction, when it can be too late to test.
Activating the ABS on an 06 on dry pavement at speed takes some real determination. But if it activates on a slippery surface, it's doing what you'd want it to do.

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

https://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Last edited by a moderator:
Activating the ABS on an 06 on dry pavement at speed takes some real determination. But if it activates on a slippery surface, it's doing what you'd want it to do.
It takes just a car turning left in front of You without any indication it would do so (tested and lived ...).

I see most of You missed the point.

I don't care what other thinks about test braking.

I'm interested if somebody know if there is a way to disable ABS on FJR, as it could be disabled on BMW for exaple (with some soft procedure not to teka out the fuse or hammer ABS motor :) .

I'm interested if somebody know if there is a way to disable ABS on FJR, as it could be disabled on BMW for exaple (with some soft procedure not to teka out the fuse or hammer ABS motor :) .
Remove both wheel sensors and you should be good to go. ;)

I think the answer is working it's way toward no, or we don't know. And, if nobody on this board knows the answer I'll bet it is no.

Since the previous two posts were so helpfull. Execuse me, i'll step in.

Have you tried not braking? The throttle is there for a reason :D

Next!
:)

Yes usualy,

But lady crossing my lane with a car, without any indication, not even slowing down tested my braking ability.

Come on tell us you really want to hit the drt with this beast and try some power slides out :lol:

Hi,
On some BMW's bikes there is an option, to disable ABS thru some procedure at motorcycle startup.

I'm wondering if ABS on 2006 FJR can be disabled as well and how.

Before You ask wha I would perform such insane act: In manual it says, that in case of electrical malfunction ABS is disabled and You have regular performing brakes. And I would like to test how bike is performing without ABS before such malfunction, when it can be too late to test.

lp

gody
ABS doesn't change the braking effort for you - not like power brakes do in your car, or those silly servo-assisted brakes on the Beamers. It just modulates the pressure at the wheels for you to keep them from locking under variable or reduced traction conditions.

So don't worry about it. Ride the bike and get on with life. You're just being too anal.

It takes just a car turning left in front of You without any indication it would do so (tested and lived ...).

Spring for the factory service manual. If there's a way to do it, it should be in there, for diagnostic purposes.

Latest posts