06 Ignition Failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dealer has attitude, gives Rondo attitude.

attitude begets attitude

Sounds like Rondo's having fun. :lol:

Rondos not having fun. I bought the bike there because it was so close and convenient. Then I Brought it in for the first service and the shit hit the fan. I would have been done with them accept for the fact that the gave me a store credit for $165.00 after there screwups during the first service. They refused to give me a refund. So I was stuck having to deal with them to take advantage of the store credit. I've done all maintnance on the FJR myself since the 600 mile service. I hung onto the credit until I needed tires feeling that they really couldnt f that up. That was just 2 weeks ago and I did get my tires there. Only cost me $90.00 for a set of Dunlop Road Smarts. I was going to look for another alternative for warrenty work but just hadnt gotten around to it. I'm very motivated now. One of buddys has an R1 that he gets serviced at a small shop in Tempe. Hes been going to the guy for years and loves him. I'm going to find out if hes factory authorized for warranty repair. If so, I'm there and I'll share the name of the shop with the rest of the Arizonians

POS dealer update. <snip>

I still need to bring the bike back for the ignition install this friday. I cant wait to see what they jack up this visit. :angrysmiley:
Instead of taking the bike back to have the new ignition switch installed, can you just install it yourself? You'll probably do a better job than the a-holes at the dealership. You could drop off the old part so they have it in case they need to show it to the mothership.

I remember seeing plenty of folks who did their own warranty labor during the TPS and ECU recalls, right? This shouldn't be too different.

dbx

POS dealer update. <snip>

I still need to bring the bike back for the ignition install this friday. I cant wait to see what they jack up this visit. :angrysmiley:
Instead of taking the bike back to have the new ignition switch installed, can you just install it yourself? You'll probably do a better job than the a-holes at the dealership. You could drop off the old part so they have it in case they need to show it to the mothership.

I remember seeing plenty of folks who did their own warranty labor during the TPS and ECU recalls, right? This shouldn't be too different.

dbx
To start out, Smokin Avitar!!!

I did offer to do the work myself. They refused, would not give me the part. This is one very greedy dealership and they want the warranty $$$. They really dont know anything about cusomer satisfaction. It really is a shame, its a really nice place with tons of inventory, boats, quads, jet skis but there service is terrible and there sales are very pushy. By the way, they did the ignition but refused to swap the lock cylinders so I left there with 2 keys. ONe call to Yamaha Customer Service and they called the dealer for me and persuaded them to swap out the ignition lock cylinders. I have to bring it back one more time to have that done and them I'm finished with this place.

Well.....since he was 2 blocks away from the selling dealer when he had the problem, I can see why he went there. Plus, they are in the process of dealing with it, so a dealer change might not be all that simple. And......even though there are a number of dealers in Arizona, I have yet to find one worth a shit. (Except for Casa Grande, and he only does warranty work on stuff he sells. Yeah, I know. He's not allowed to do that, but whatcha gonna do?)
this on one hand violates his/her franchise. one of the Yamaha Motor Co. USA rules, he could have his franchise pulled and every Yamaha product pulled from his lot. Great example is "what if your ignition failed a few blocks from his dealer?" you call yamaha to help you, they will more than likely direct you to him since he is closest in THERE dealer network. i would still give yamaha corporate a call Customer Relations (800) 962-7926 or send them a letter because that is absolute BS for factory warranty.

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

Well.....since he was 2 blocks away from the selling dealer when he had the problem, I can see why he went there. Plus, they are in the process of dealing with it, so a dealer change might not be all that simple. And......even though there are a number of dealers in Arizona, I have yet to find one worth a shit. (Except for Casa Grande, and he only does warranty work on stuff he sells. Yeah, I know. He's not allowed to do that, but whatcha gonna do?)
this on one hand violates his/her franchise. one of the Yamaha Motor Co. USA rules, he could have his franchise pulled and every Yamaha product pulled from his lot. Great example is "what if your ignition failed a few blocks from his dealer?" you call yamaha to help you, they will more than likely direct you to him since he is closest in THERE dealer network. i would still give yamaha corporate a call Customer Relations (800) 962-7926 or send them a letter because that is absolute BS for factory warranty.

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

6555 Katella Avenue

Cypress, CA 90630

When I spoke to Yamaha Customer Service I asked about franchise or dealer agreement of expectations for service. Yamaha explained to me that the dealers are not held accountable by Yamaha and that they are not Franchisees. Yamaha doesnt get involved that closly with the dealers. In my case, Yamaha is actually paying this dealer to perform the lock cylinder swap. Yamaha is going out of the way to make me happy at there expense. The dealer wasnt willing to do anything.

So let me get this straight. Is this a warranty or recall issue or not. See I'm from Canada and believe that I probably have the switch problem coming on. Same symptoms. I don't have the YES deal as it's $1250 here and hard to swallow. Canada also has the coded keys so that means more money too no doubt.

So let me get this straight. Is this a warranty or recall issue or not. See I'm from Canada and believe that I probably have the switch problem coming on. Same symptoms. I don't have the YES deal as it's $1250 here and hard to swallow. Canada also has the coded keys so that means more money too no doubt.
This concerns me also,, I don't think we could bypass the ignition or have a spare ignition to slap on because of the Anti Theft - Chipped Key thing..

Guess it's a tow job if this happens.

Only bonus is that we won't get stuck getting our bikes fixed by Town and Country.

Sorry to here about your Dealer Woes there Rondo777. After you get the key cylinders swapped you can give them the Sicilian Salute... :assassin:

This concerns me also,, I don't think we could bypass the ignition or have a spare ignition to slap on because of the Anti Theft - Chipped Key thing..

Guess it's a tow job if this happens.

Only bonus is that we won't get stuck getting our bikes fixed by Town and Country.

Sorry to here about your Dealer Woes there Rondo777. After you get the key cylinders swapped you can give them the Sicilian Salute... :assassin:
I don't know where Town and Country is but I was worried about just that as it was starting to act up during a trip to Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Awful long tow to Canada.

You gus are scaring me now. What are the two wire colors you have to short to get the bike running again when this happens? Sounds like my 06 AE is not long for the world in the ignition switch department. I too removed the tie wraps when I got mine to keep the stress off the wires, but it sounds like the damned thing is so flimsy it wont make any diff.

Ed, Lancaster :dribble:

After reading about the fun so many people have had with these, as of today I'm the proud owner of a spare ignition switch. It will not take up much room in my top box..:)
IgnSwitch.jpg

-Uwe-

Check out how tight that wire harness is pulled and zipped tied on that thing from the factory! :bigeyedsmiley: I'd cut that now and give it a little slack.

FWIW, I had a tire emergency on my ride thru AZ. I called RideNow PowerSports in Tucson and spoke with Robert Sanchez, the service manager. He just couldn't have been more helpful. They made time for me. Jim, the tech, took the bike for a ride, didn't like the feeling of the front end (not the end he worked on), and made an adjustment to it. Then they washed the bike. Pretty awesome experience considering I was just passing through.

FWIW, I had a tire emergency on my ride thru AZ. I called RideNow PowerSports in Tucson and spoke with Robert Sanchez, the service manager. He just couldn't have been more helpful. They made time for me. Jim, the tech, took the bike for a ride, didn't like the feeling of the front end (not the end he worked on), and made an adjustment to it. Then they washed the bike. Pretty awesome experience considering I was just passing through.
Thats great that you where treated good. This particular dealer has a really bad reputation. I just mention them here locally and people roll there eyes. I'm now done with them, Yesterday I brought the bike back for the last time. They swapped the locks and I'm a happy camper. The receipt has a comment on it:

" Rekey Ingnition so that Customer has only one key for all locks and ignition. Per Yamaha Cutomer Service do what ever it takes to make this customer happy. Yamaha Customer Service will be paying this Invoice"

The invoice was for $195.00. They really socked it to Yamaha on this one. KUDOS to Yamaha, Fuey on Town and Country!

I don't know where Town and Country is but I was worried about just that as it was starting to act up during a trip to Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama. Awful long tow to Canada.
If you're lucky enough to be unlucky near Barber, you're just a stone's throw from D&H off I-65 between Birmingham and Huntsville. Better than a tow to Canada.