06 Metzler Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look for the letters (TWI) near the sidewall then start looking toward the center of the tire. Piece of cake.
Armed with the TWI info I was able to locate the Tread Wear Indicators, but I think they are too far off the centerline to afford any real indication of impending doom. All of the pictures of worn Z6's I've seen are worn thin in the very center, where there are no tread indicators. As such, I will make sure to keep a close eye on wear as I put more miles on these tires.

I've only got about 1500 miles on these tires, and they look and handle good so far. My only complaint is having to add 2-3 psi per week to each tire. The Metzeler ME880's on my Magna rarely require more than 1-2 psi added per MONTH. (Of course the original Dunlops that came with that bike would lose 3-4 psi per NIGHT. After repeated dunk testing with no apparent leaks, I considered borrowing a video camera to try and catch the gremlins stealing the air. :unsure: )

David

While those here that say it is our responsibility to watch and manage our tires I agree but when you are watching your tires and maintaining them as one should, and when the wear indicators are off the center of a tire where there is "no" tread depth whatsoever in which to gage them, and one minute the tire appears fine and the next it has steel cords running through the carcas of the tire, THIS IS WRONG!. As noted by Scooter G and many many others here on the board, this is an on going problem that should not be. Our tires are the real safety barrier between us and the ground. Without them the danger of this well documented problem is unacceptable. The Strada's and the Z6's should be illegal period for this reason. For me, I'm taking my ball and I'm gone. Calling a spade a spade. Nuf said.....PM. <>< :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to correct my earlier post. The tire shown with the cords visable had 5600 mi. on it. It had 4000 mi. on it when I left on my trip. ........It's all coming back to me now! Never the less, I'm a stickler for maintaining air pressures and keeping an eye on tire wear and I was completely blindsided by what happened. I was lucky......

After repeated dunk testing with no apparent leaks, I considered borrowing a video camera to try and catch the gremlins stealing the air. :unsure: )
Not gremlins. Aliens. :eek:

Prolly the same ones that steal twowheelnut's air. ;)
alien-12.jpg

I believe the psi aliens are/have been for some time in league with the tire manufacturers. I think the guy on the right is Harvey Firestone.

A simple way to evaluate tire wear at the centerline is to measure the rolling circumference of the tire.

When a new tire is installed measure the circumference by pushing the bike forward one revolution of the wheel. Note the air pressure when making the measurement.

The tread depth of a new tire is approximately 6 mm near the centerline. So if all 6 mm is worn away over time the diameter of the tire will be reduced by 12 mm = 0.472 inches. Correspondingly the circumference will be reduced by 0.472 x Pi = 1.484 inches.

A new 180/55-17 tire's circumference is approximately 76.5 inches.

One can easily measure the change in circumference as the tire wears. Of course, always make the measurement for the same air pressure.

A 1/4 inch reduction in circumference equates to approximately 1 mm of tread wear.

So it's easy to approximate tread wear by periodically measuring the tire's circumference.

For the benefit of some (and of course myself), I am planning to design a simply-made and inexpensive tread depth/wear indicator tool for the Stradas. It will bore a indicator hole in the center tread area to a precise depth, thus creating what (I agree!) should already be there, A CENTER WEAR INDICATOR!.

My best piece of advice that's specific to this thread is...

I have found that all the tires without a center tread pattern, like the Z6s and Stradas, will show a "chewy" texture to the rubber just before exposing the belts. And by "just before" I mean 200-300 miles.

Spin the tire and look for a center surface that lacks the smooth, satin finish. It will be darker than normal and have a rough or chewy texture. That means the tire is toast and needs to be changed immediately. Unless you want one last burnout in the neighbor's driveway.

:)

Jeff

I have found that all the tires without a center tread pattern, like the Z6s and Stradas, will show a "chewy" texture to the rubber just before exposing the belts. And by "just before" I mean 200-300 miles.
Spin the tire and look for a center surface that lacks the smooth, satin finish. It will be darker than normal and have a rough or chewy texture. That means the tire is toast and needs to be changed immediately. Unless you want one last burnout in the neighbor's driveway.
+1

And after the ride last Friday of only about 60 miles, that is what the rear Pilot Power looks like on the XX.

Oh, and see Ashe's post above this for the definition of anal-retentive. ;)
Hey TWN,

Can I lay a burnout stripe in YOUR driveway? We can make it happen at night so that you can see all the pretty sparks when the belts grind in.

I'll scrub it away personally the next day. I'm anal retentive that way.

A simple way to evaluate tire wear at the centerline is to measure the rolling circumference of the tire.
When a new tire is installed measure the circumference by pushing the bike forward one revolution of the wheel. Note the air pressure when making the measurement.

The tread depth of a new tire is approximately 6 mm near the centerline. So if all 6 mm is worn away over time the diameter of the tire will be reduced by 12 mm = 0.472 inches. Correspondingly the circumference will be reduced by 0.472 x Pi = 1.484 inches.

A new 180/55-17 tire's circumference is approximately 76.5 inches.

One can easily measure the change in circumference as the tire wears. Of course, always make the measurement for the same air pressure.

A 1/4 inch reduction in circumference equates to approximately 1 mm of tread wear.

So it's easy to approximate tread wear by periodically measuring the tire's circumference.
Dude, I use to hate guys like you when I flunked math class. I do have a literary mind though. PM. <>< :D

I made a template out of cardboard that matched the profile of my z6 with 5850 miles. Then took the template to the yammy dealeer and compared it to the tire on the 07fjr int he showroom. About a 1/4" of rubber gone from the center section. Not flat spotted just a larger radius at the center. Front was down to about 1/16th tread depth with slight cupping.

I am going to replace before the SFO Spring Fling this weekend.

Painman that is a good solution. I may use your method also.

It would be interesting to plot circumference vs mileage. With some curve fitting you could write an equation of the curve generated. Then by evaluating the slope of the line you could determine where the accelerated wear rates occur. i would suspect that they would occur when the tire is new and then starting somewhere near the end of the tire life. Just kidding........ i would rather ride that crunch numbers.

Look for the letters (TWI) near the sidewall then start looking toward the center of the tire. Piece of cake.
Armed with the TWI info I was able to locate the Tread Wear Indicators, but I think they are too far off the centerline to afford any real indication of impending doom. All of the pictures of worn Z6's I've seen are worn thin in the very center, where there are no tread indicators. As such, I will make sure to keep a close eye on wear as I put more miles on these tires.

I've only got about 1500 miles on these tires, and they look and handle good so far. My only complaint is having to add 2-3 psi per week to each tire. The Metzeler ME880's on my Magna rarely require more than 1-2 psi added per MONTH. (Of course the original Dunlops that came with that bike would lose 3-4 psi per NIGHT. After repeated dunk testing with no apparent leaks, I considered borrowing a video camera to try and catch the gremlins stealing the air. :unsure: )

David
The TWI has several wear indicators, and the ones near the center area appear to be in the correct spot;although there is nothing right in the middle. My tires show aprox. .05 left before it hits the indicator near the center,however the sides are getting quite choppy. I have 8800 miles on these tires and I,m going on a 1200mile trip in 4weeks, by that time i"ll have between 9500-10,000miles. Should i assume thes tires are almost worn out?

I am new to sport touring and have really been impressed with how well the Z6's handle on all weather and road conditions and was considering avon storms because i could never find the wear indicators until today. Now that I know what to look for I will probably purchase another set of Z6s. When the tires are new how much tread is above the indicator,and is 9500 miles about the most anybody can get out of these tires safely? iI know how well the bike performs with these tires at all speeds and conditions and would not want to end up with a different ride for the worse.

Oh, and see Ashe's post above this for the definition of anal-retentive. ;)
Hey TWN,

Can I lay a burnout stripe in YOUR driveway? We can make it happen at night so that you can see all the pretty sparks when the belts grind in.

I'll scrub it away personally the next day. I'm anal retentive that way.

Yeah, the fourth great lie......I'll scrub it away......Hahahahahahaha

jim

It would be nice if the z6/strafa had center wear indicators. However, I would humbly suggest that if one is wearing a tire to the cords before hitting the wear indicators that are off the center line that a touring tire would be a better choice of rubber rather than a Sport-touring tire.

I'm wondering why these type tread pattern tires couldn't have a center grove around the circumference? Another thing, at least on the Avon, is the grove gets progressively shallower towards the center. Is this a better way of getting rid of water? Reason I ask,is, Fed Ex just delivered my Pilot Roads and the tread depth seems consistant from side to center. Don't seem to be any doubt when the're worn out.