'06 risers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoham

Reaction score
`As you know risers are hard to find for 06 and 07 models. I bought a set from Doug before the recall. I decided to keep them and told Doug I was accepting all future problems. As a mech. eng. I really like the design but I understood his recall. I took mine and had them magnafluxed at Boening. They checked out fine. So I am using them, with no problems. It is a good idea to have critical items checked before use. I never assume anything. Especially with items as critical as handlebar risers. Just my .02c

Just a little comment about inspection of parts. (It's my industry). I supect the bar risers are made of aluminum. If so, Magnaflux (a trade name for magnetic particle inspection) isn't the appropriate method. It would be best to perform liquid penetrant testing if surface defects are the suspected problem. (sometimes called Zyglo, again a trade name). Internal flaws in the material could be found with X-ray or ultrasonics but I doubt the material would be subjected to stresses that would result in failure dure to minor interior flaws that would be in billet alumnium. Liquid penetrant is the way to go and the cheapest. If I'm out to lunch and the risers are made of mild steel then magnetic particle inspection would be good. By the way liquid penetrant can be done on steel too. There are some unscrupulous companies out there that would charge higher magnetic particle rates for penetrant work to the unsuspecting public. (oh by the way it's spelled Boeing)

Just a little comment about inspection of parts. (It's my industry). I supect the bar risers are made of aluminum. If so, Magnaflux (a trade name for magnetic particle inspection) isn't the appropriate method. It would be best to perform liquid penetrant testing if surface defects are the suspected problem. (sometimes called Zyglo, again a trade name). Internal flaws in the material could be found with X-ray or ultrasonics but I doubt the material would be subjected to stresses that would result in failure dure to minor interior flaws that would be in billet alumnium. Liquid penetrant is the way to go and the cheapest. If I'm out to lunch and the risers are made of mild steel then magnetic particle inspection would be good. By the way liquid penetrant can be done on steel too. There are some unscrupulous companies out there that would charge higher magnetic particle rates for penetrant work to the unsuspecting public. (oh by the way it's spelled Boeing)

I bought a set of Doug's risers .... the 2nd wave that was 'recalled' by Doug. I'm sorry I sent them back. But, it was Doug's request and I respect his decision and feel very badly for him. It was not his fault that some riser bolts failed when torquing them down during installation.

Here's my problem. As I remember things, it was not the risers themselves ... which are solid aluminum ... that failed. It was the new tapered bolds that failed when some folks installed the risers and torqued the down.

I did not use a torque wrench when I installed my Doug Hine's risers. I did the nut tightening as I do most things .... tighten and then a bit more. It's not scientific who really gives a rat's ass, eh. It's always worked for lug nuts, oil filters, and such. Anyway .....

So, the tapered 'after market' bolts were the failing part. NOT the aluminum risers. And, the design was first rate. Doug did a terrific job in his design. I think the manufacturer just got a bad batch of material for the tapered bolts. Shit happens. Doug took the rap and was a stand up guy when he voluntarily 'recalled' his risers.

I had NO problem with his design or materials. My risers did not fail when I installed them, nor did they fill in the several hundred miles I used them. I am sorry that I sent them back. But, Doug asked for them and I respected his recall request.

Soooo, altho I am no expert, I would guess that the failure of the bolts has not been examined. All of them did not fail. Just a few. And, they fail at install, not in service.

I believe that Doug's design for the 2006 risers was very good (altho, they could have tilted back a bit ... which may have compromised the cables somewhat), and they were an inexpensive farkle, too. I feel bad that these deals are 'off the market'. They were pretty kewl farkles for our FJRs for sure.

BAGGER

I don't know the exact specifics but from what I understood the fasteners that failed, (I think the number was 2) out of many. The instructions that were with Doug's risers gave specific instructions to be careful when installing the bolts and to pay careful attention to keep them in a vertical position when installing them. The 2 bolts that failed were tightened down, (with the bars being able to rotate forward and rearward a few degrees), not in the complete vertical position and put undue stress on the fasteners and caused them to break. One case was the bike was dropped and the owner grabbed the handle bar as the bike was going down and one fastener broke. These events could or could not have been the real reason. This was unexpected and in all fairness Doug being the gentleman he is decided at the time to do a recall for all things good for him and those who purchased. Doug is a straight shooter and the safety involved for all was considered above any other reason. I still run the risers with confidence and until something better comes along they will stay on the bike. A little more pullback is needed by some to make things complete. So really the fasteners nor the risers were the problem IMHO. PM. <>< :superstition:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the exact specifics but from what I understood the fasteners that failed, (I think the number was 2) out of many. The instructions that were with Doug's risers gave specific instructions to be careful when installing the bolts and to pay careful attention to keep them in a vertical position when installing them. The 2 bolts that failed were tightened down, (with the bars being able to rotate forward and rearward a few degrees), not in the complete vertical position and put undue stress on the fasteners and caused them to break. One case was the bike was dropped and the owner grabbed the handle bar as the bike was going down and one fastener broke. These events could or could not have been the real reason. This was unexpected and in all fairness Doug being the gentleman he is decided at the time to do a recall for all things good for him and those who purchased. Doug is a straight shooter and the safety involved for all was considered above any other reason. I still run the risers with confidence and until something better comes along they will stay on the bike. A little more pullback is needed by some to make things complete. So really the fasteners nor the risers were the problem IMHO. PM. <>< :superstition:
It seens to me the cheap and easy answer to making an inexpensive set of risers for the 06 is to just send a set of straight through bolts to put them on with. Eliminate that under the brace clip with the studs. It requires a bit more work than just bolting them on, but has been done by a member here before. I know I would be more than willing to spend the extra hour or so installing them rather than paying $300 for the current riser solutions available.

Roy

OK so now I understand why Magnetic particle (Magnaflux) was dictated. Bolts would be mild steel. I wasn't thinking about the bolts. Yes, two doesn't seem like many failures but it were parachutes, well..... Proper torque is the best bet here. If it's been over torqued then replace them and maybe have a look at the threaded parts too. The recall would only need replacing the bolts.

OK so now I understand why Magnetic particle (Magnaflux) was dictated. Bolts would be mild steel. I wasn't thinking about the bolts. Yes, two doesn't seem like many failures but it were parachutes, well..... Proper torque is the best bet here. If it's been over torqued then replace them and maybe have a look at the threaded parts too. The recall would only need replacing the bolts.
As I mentioned above, the bolts nor the risers were the problem. The problem was the way the fasteners, (bolts), were installed. That is the inherent design of the risers allowed the bolts to be torqued down in a non-vertical position, (which Doug sent special instructions not to do), thus putting them in a bind and putting undue stress on the studs that caused them to break. Hope this helped to clairify. PM. <>< :blink:

As I mentioned above, the bolts nor the risers were the problem. The problem was the way the fasteners, (bolts), were installed. That is the inherent design of the risers allowed the bolts to be torqued down in a non-vertical position, (which Doug sent special instructions not to do), thus putting them in a bind and putting undue stress on the studs that caused them to break. Hope this helped to clairify. PM. <>< :blink:

ok so now that we know the risers are safe, and the bolts need special attention. with that being said could someone copy a set of dougs risers, and sell them to the rest of us that would like to have a set??

does anyone want to sell a used set??

thanks,

chiefj48

in my personal experience, the torquing issue was that a small bit of 'play' was present with mr hines design... higher tensile stregenth bolts would be a easy replacement...

missing were 'pins' to secure the risers in place the same as the factory design... mr hines did not want riders to have the bars rotate when strong forces were applied, such as panic braking or bumps in a curve...

Now! with all that explanation and sublimation out of the way. (I respected Mr Hines request and sent my set back to him.)

Where the hell can i get some risers? :(

Now! with all that explanation and sublimation out of the way. (I respected Mr Hines request and sent my set back to him.)
Where the hell can i get some risers? :(

Yeah, I'd like some as well. Spring is coming to New England any day ... or so.

Perhaps someone that has a set of DH's risers can have them 'retooled' with the proper bolts and those of us that would care for risers could have a set?

I know of several folks that did not return theirs. I gotta tell ya, IF I had a set, I'd be working on a set for sale. Not to make some heavy profit, but to clear my expenses and make a couple bucks. Maybe someone who has a set (and they were the best) would undertake such a venture.

Who knows.

BAGGER

`As you know risers are hard to find for 06 and 07 models. I bought a set from Doug before the recall. I decided to keep them and told Doug I was accepting all future problems. As a mech. eng. I really like the design but I understood his recall. I took mine and had them magnafluxed at Boening. They checked out fine. So I am using them, with no problems. It is a good idea to have critical items checked before use. I never assume anything. Especially with items as critical as handlebar risers. Just my .02c

hi all,

does anyone have a copy of dougs '06 riser instructions they could e-mail me??

thanks,

chiefj48