'07 12v relay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAFJR

Reaction score
I just acquired an '07 after my '04 was totaled. On the '04, I installed a relay for accessories behind the right dash panels and tapped into a switched wire (headlight I believe) for the 12v to energize the relay. After looking behind the '07's panels, there's very little room. But more troublesome, is that I don't see any exposed wires to tap into. Any suggestions for where to tap a switched wire behind the panels? Or would it be just easier to mount the relay under the seats, run the hot battery wire all the way back to the tail, and tap into a tail light wire for the switched 12v.

Steve

That's what I did on my 06. It meant running more wire but it allows much easier access to the fuses themselves and the relay.

You can also run to the back a little easier (if you needed to) when the fuse box is located under the seat but....

Each to his own.

Good luck.

Like you, I also have an '07 and my suggestion is to tap into the wire that goes hot after engine start.

It's a snap to get to after you remove the lower left tupper ware. You'll see the wiring harness that goes to the factory grip heater (even if you don't have factory heated grips, I believe you still have the wiring harness). It's right there, hanging in the breeze.

I installed a relay in front of the battery, but I had the nose off at the time. I also used the horns for switched power, and then powered Stebels off from the switched power.

I put the relay under the seat and tapped into the tail light wire. As someone mentioned, its a long run to the battery. Used the Napa asphalt heat shielding and haven't had a problem.