07 Factory heated grips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadave

Reaction score
My wifes 07 heated grips have stopped working. I pulled the panel and I see 4 wires (brown, white with black stripe, white and black I think) I have 12V DC on the brown when the bike is running, but when I turn on the controller I get no heat. Anyone have an idea where to look next?

Wanna bet the right grip wiring shows as being open?

Mine did that - ithers have the same issue. Look for ciontuinuity pon the 2 pin gray connector that gooes to that grip. The replacement is VERY pricey. I'm riding with cold gips for the monment, looking for the grip from a scrapped AE. They changed the design for 2008.

Where are the connectors that go to the right grip? Behind the panel there are only 2 connectors. I am guessing 1 in from power (white connector) and 1 out to the grips.

Behind the left lower cowling among all of the various connectors you will find 2 cylindrical 2 pin connectors, one is gray, the other is black. The black one is for the left grip and gray for the right.

The grips are wired in series - and the likely culprit is the right grip because the wiring flexes in the housing as the throttle is twisted back and forth.

If the bike is not moving, chances are the grips won't work as the ECU controls the ground to the circuit. Easy to check, just go for a ten minute ride say above 20 mph and see if the grips warm up.

Behind the left lower cowling among all of the various connectors you will find 2 cylindrical 2 pin connectors, one is gray, the other is black. The black one is for the left grip and gray for the right.

The grips are wired in series - and the likely culprit is the right grip because the wiring flexes in the housing as the throttle is twisted back and forth.
When you say left lower cowling what do you mean? I see lots of connectors behind the left side below the seat.

If the bike is not moving, chances are the grips won't work as the ECU controls the ground to the circuit. Easy to check, just go for a ten minute ride say above 20 mph and see if the grips warm up.
Hey ray, Hope all is well up North.

It is not speed related. We were riding today and she tried it and it was out. She had them turned on for 20+ miles.

Mcatrophy is correct. . . . grips are powered on (at half the selected setting) coincident with the headlight power. They switch to the full selected heat when the vehicle is moving faster than 5 (or was it 8?) mph.

Mcatrophy is correct. . . . grips are powered on (at half the selected setting) coincident with the headlight power. They switch to the full selected heat when the vehicle is moving faster than 5 (or was it 8?) mph.
Just looked it up in my handbook:

When the vehicle is stopped or traveling at extremely low speeds (e.g., in traffic jams), the grip warmer temperature is lower than when traveling at higher speeds.
I suspect (but don't know) that the battery voltage is monitored, that would be the most sensible thing to do.