'07 model "DREAM"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoham

Reaction score
I woke believing Yamaha added heated grips, a 6 speed, helmet locks, front tie down points,the "buzz" gone at higher RPM, a new beautiful new color, but after a moment of clarity I realized it really was just a dream. Not happening in 2007!!!!!! Wait 'til next year.

I woke believing Yamaha added heated grips, a 6 speed, helmet locks, front tie down points,the "buzz" gone at higher RPM, a new beautiful new color, but after a moment of clarity I realized it really was just a dream. Not happening in 2007!!!!!! Wait 'til next year.
buy some gerbing gear, tell me where the HELL you can use a 6th gear and still keep your insurance, take your helmet with you, add some grip puppies and bar ends if it's that bad, and pay a painter if your REALLY can't stand it. tie down points? does your bike spend THAT much time in the truck?

this is such a great bike. if you really wanted a goldwing, they sell them all over the place and they are pure velvet. if you have forgotten what a really uncomfortable, buzzy, awful bike feels like to ride, they sell ZILLIONS of them every year. there's one on your block, guaranteed. you'll BEG for your feej after 10 miles.

just jokin' - not really flamin'. but really, can you imagine a better compromise bike for those of us who can't afford 3 or 4, or better yet, 5 or 6? i can't. that's why it's in my garage, and i bet it's why it's in yours, too.

ride safe,

shu

buy some gerbing gear, tell me where the HELL you can use a 6th gear and still keep your insurance, take your helmet with you, add some grip puppies and bar ends if it's that bad, and pay a painter if your REALLY can't stand it. tie down points? does your bike spend THAT much time in the truck?

this is such a great bike. if you really wanted a goldwing, they sell them all over the place and they are pure velvet. if you have forgotten what a really uncomfortable, buzzy, awful bike feels like to ride, they sell ZILLIONS of them every year. there's one on your block, guaranteed. you'll BEG for your feej after 10 miles.

just jokin' - not really flamin'. but really, can you imagine a better compromise bike for those of us who can't afford 3 or 4, or better yet, 5 or 6? i can't. that's why it's in my garage, and i bet it's why it's in yours, too.

ride safe,

shu
Well said ...

tell me where the HELL you can use a 6th gear and still keep your insurance
Lots of places. For example, US-71 in Missouri, where I recently covered 140 miles at triple digits while staying with traffic. Or I-94 from Bismarck, ND, west to the MT border, can be run at triple digits any day of the week. I've done it many times. Also, lots of roads throughout MT and NV, and I'm not even scratching the surface.

What I meant was, I heard someone talking about someone they knew who knew a guy who... :rolleyes:

I just rode through parts of New Mexico and Utah in early September at triple digit speeds in 5th gear on my 06 FJR. No buzz. No problem. I finally slowed down to 80 when it started raining and I was crossing cattle grates. Still ran like a train on rails. Only regret: I chickened out at 140 mph and didn't find the top end.

Heated grips stink--if it's cold enough to use them, you're wearing heavy gloves and can't even feel them!

6-Speed? No need for it at all--let it rev!

Helmet locks? Helmets actually Fit in the Sidebags unlike the Beemer--put your helmet in there--they even give you a bagliner for your dirty control-top underwear. With a shoulder strap

Front tie-down points? to trailer it!? Buy some 'Canyon Dancers', or better: don't be a homo.

Buzz? It's an inline-4 that's what they do. You should've ridden a Honda CB 1000 Custom....

New Beautiful color: That 'Blood on a Steel Blade' Red freeking rawks!

I'm gonna call Yamaha and tell them not to sell you a new one--better yet, I'm gonna call Yamaha and have them come get your current bike. No Bike for You!

Last edited by a moderator:
So if I understand correctly, those looking for a sixth gear are wanting an overdrive to reduce engine rpm at high speed. Have you considered that even the FJR may not have enough power to push all that wind and weight through a taller gear? Adding a taller 6th could very well end up reducing top speed.

That being said, vibration at high rpm can be easily handled with cruise control, leaving your hands free to relax on the bars. If you're really comfortable at that speed, relaxing should be no problem.

So if I understand correctly, those looking for a sixth gear are wanting an overdrive to reduce engine rpm at high speed. Have you considered that even the FJR may not have enough power to push all that wind and weight through a taller gear? Adding a taller 6th could very well end up reducing top speed.
That being said, vibration at high rpm can be easily handled with cruise control, leaving your hands free to relax on the bars. If you're really comfortable at that speed, relaxing should be no problem.
I think most readers are going to realize rather quickly that cruise control does nothing for vibration. :rolleyes:

Wow, a six speed. That would be cool. I like my bike just the way it is but the 6th gear would be nice just in case you wanted to use it...tiedown points could be used ifin you had to be put on a flatbed in time of trouble...and heated grips would be good even though most would say you don't need them in Cali, but there have been times....and I like the buzz at high rpms if you know what I mean....helmet locks, yes, usually the side cases have something in them and not enough room for the helmet...Oh, that was a dream wasn't it....sorry...continue the thread now...PM. <>< :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish the FJR had a sixth gear. I just rode through southern Utah where I spent a lot of time at triple digit speeds. The FJR handled it flawlessly, but I would have felt better about it spinning lower RPM's.

What I would really like to see though, is an inverted fork and radial mounted brakes. While the FJR handles very well, its handling could be improved -- and in my humble opinion, that would make it just about perfect. :D

Well said shu!

I strongly disagree on the heated grip comment further on - the best $30 I've spent so far is on the Dual Star heated grips! I too dislike the thicker winter gloves and the dual stars let me keep wearing my deerskin gloves down to, well, 45 degrees so far.

I can hear it now if the FJR had a six speed - "damn, I always have to downshift to make a quick pass"...

No downshifting needed on the FJR with five speeds.

I like the feel of that FJR engine growling down there.

I have never ever wanted to ride a bike that was sewing-machine smooth.

I can hear it now if the FJR had a six speed - "damn, I always have to downshift to make a quick pass"...
No downshifting needed on the FJR with five speeds.

I like the feel of that FJR engine growling down there.

I have never ever wanted to ride a bike that was sewing-machine smooth.
That just might be the first time I've heard someone describe 6000 RPM as "growling". As for the smoothness, you can dial in as much vibration as you want by intentionally screwing up the TBS, especially the Unauthorized TBS.

Running at 75 in 5th puts me at the same, or lower, RPMs on other 6 speed bikes I have ridden. So, with all of the torque available which eliminates the need for most downshifts, if the final drive ratio is the same, why throw another gear into the mix?

+1...Getting on the FJR after years of 6 speed bikes, I was sure it needed a 6th gear. Many, many FJR miles later, I've seen the light, I'm a convert. Leave the damn gearbox alone. :)

As new guy to the forum and coming off commuting for several years on a Duck ST2, this is is a great all-rounder! It feels way more than the hundred pounds heavier than the Duc than it really is, but I knew that going in. The windshield whistle and buffet were apparent on a test drive, but there were numerous aftermarket choices. Is this a great country or what? It'd be really nice to have a gear indicator, ala Beemer, but the only thing I really miss is the high-beam flasher switch for my left index finger.

Bob

2004 Feejer

1999 Ducati ST2