08 FJR or 08 Ducati s2r 1000?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrzrcool

Reaction score
Hello all..

I previously had an 04 fjr and loved it. Had to sell for health reasons.......now, I'm all better. Have had a burning desire to get an 08 FJR (love the black), but also have been eyeing an 08 Ducati S2R 1000. Love the looks of that bike also and have never had a Ducati (have ridden them..fun).

Any thoghts from those riding the FJR? Love the fun factor of the FJR, but for some reason the Ducati is calling. Anybody have experience with both bikes or have any thought comparing the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance for your time...

Hello all..
I previously had an 04 fjr and loved it. Had to sell for health reasons.......now, I'm all better. Have had a burning desire to get an 08 FJR (love the black), but also have been eyeing an 08 Ducati S2R 1000. Love the looks of that bike also and have never had a Ducati (have ridden them..fun).

Any thoghts from those riding the FJR? Love the fun factor of the FJR, but for some reason the Ducati is calling. Anybody have experience with both bikes or have any thought comparing the pros and cons of each?

Thanks in advance for your time...
Bikes are such a personal choice. My suggestion is to buy the bike that you want. Compare maintenance (The Duc's are vastly improved in this area, with extended timing belt mileage, etc.) and also compare ergos.

You should buy the bike that makes your heart skip a beat, that's the one you'll long for.

Agreed with MadMike2, buy the bike that you want and if that is the Duc then great choice. And if it doesn't work out then buy the best one sold which is the FJR but the Cherry Red is faster than the '08 black!

thought I would answer your post since I have a Ducati s4rs, I just got a 08 FJR for the reason of LD riding, i've taken a couple of 300 mile day trips on the duc but the ergo's are a bit aggressive, the foot pegs are high which I love for aggressive riding but even with the after market seat its still a little uncomfortable after a long ride, it also has a small fuel tank, I only get about 100 miles before I need to start looking for a gas station, the S2 will go further but not much, dont get me wrong I love my ducati and I will not sell it, so it comes down to what kind of riding you want to do and so on.

Which ever you buy... don't compromise...

If you really want the Duc, then it's the bike for you... Even if you like sport touring riding, you'll find a way to make it do the riding you want to do...

Have you ridden a Monster? Does your local dealer give test rides?

You've had the FJR, so you know what to expect there...

Jason

These are really different bikes. !20 miles on a tank on the Ducati and 270 or so on the FJR. FJR with bags and nice windscreen is really the long distance tourer (about 200# more)but can still blow through the twisties. The call of the Italian is like a beaitiful siren. Your will power may not strong enough to resist. That being said buy the FJR and save up for a monster S4R as your second bike. If you are Saturday afternoon rider - well, thats a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
PIC-0364.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Niehart, how long did it take you to get the shortie ? I ordered one a month ago. My dealer is telling me they take a bit because the 1098s are hogging all the carbon fiber. :angry2:

heaston, sweet RS, is that a speedpack in place of the factory seat/cowl ?

OP, these two bikes are as far apart on the moto-spectrum as an FJR and a KLR. What kind of riding ? Don't pick the monster if you want to take _anything_ with you. Another consideration is the FJR is liquid cooled while the S2R is air cooled.

Niehart, how long did it take you to get the shortie ? I ordered one a month ago. My dealer is telling me they take a bit because the 1098s are hogging all the carbon fiber. :angry2:
heaston, sweet RS, is that a speedpack in place of the factory seat/cowl ?

OP, these two bikes are as far apart on the moto-spectrum as an FJR and a KLR. What kind of riding ? Don't pick the monster if you want to take _anything_ with you. Another consideration is the FJR is liquid cooled while the S2R is air cooled.
Corbin seat with smuggler set up, thats a thing with the Monster, very little storage.

Corbin seat with smuggler set up, thats a thing with the Monster, very little storage.
Can't you get soft saddle bags, tail bag, and tank bags on Ducati's? I've seen guys fully load up other sport bikes and do some long distances ... the ability to do long distance is more effected by riding position and the riders back :D

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. Will be taking a test on both next weeek and will then make a decision. Really tough, as they both have LOTs of good, and not much bad.

Thanks for all the feedback everybody. Will be taking a test on both next weeek and will then make a decision. Really tough, as they both have LOTs of good, and not much bad.
I have a 1000S Multistrada in addition to my FJR. The Multi has the same engine as the S2R1000. I love them both and wouldn't want to part with either. I recommend you buy both! If you can't then it would depend on what type of riding you'll be doing. For long distance or 2-up with luggage, you can't beat the FJR. For shorter runs in the twisties, I recommend the Duc. The light weight, abundant torque and superb handling are addicting. Since you already had an FJR, why not try a Duc? I don't think you'll be disappointed.