08 Metallic Windshield Screws.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newt

Reaction score
Hello wonderful people,

Does anybody knows where I can purchase Metallic Windshield Screws for my 08 FJR? :help:

According to the '06-'09 Bin-O-Facts the Yamaha part# is 90150-05024-00, however they are made of "Plastic" some say nylon, Polycarbonate, Polypropylene, or perhaps glass Fiber 50% Reinforced Polyamide. I wisely :angry: striped the crap out of the Phillips heads on the OEM ones, now I will have to find a way to remove them and replace them with the metallic ones. Any suggestion on how to remove them is welcome.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Best Regards,

Newt.

They are plastic/nylon for a reason, so the shield gives when you decide to go head first over it.

It's been tested multiple times and is a good mechanism for helping you not get hurt by the shield in a get off.

I bought like 150 of them from smallparts.com for like $10.00

They are white, and have held my shields in place since 2006. I got tired of stripping them too, and at this price they are disposable.

-MD

I got mine in stainless at the local ace hardware. I thought about the plastic ones and breaking in a crash to help reduce injuries, the screws are retained by rubber plugs which I hope in my case with stainless screws, they would pull out. I usually have the shield all the way down with a laminar lip. Best wishes and be careful. TBW

They are plastic/nylon for a reason, so the shield gives when you decide to go head first over it.
It's been tested multiple times and is a good mechanism for helping you not get hurt by the shield in a get off.

I bought like 150 of them from smallparts.com for like $10.00

They are white, and have held my shields in place since 2006. I got tired of stripping them too, and at this price they are disposable.

-MD
Thank you for your feedback and sorry for my ignorance. :agree: Would you be so kind as to tell me how to remove them? I striped the phillips head of it. :dribble:

Newt, grind a small flathead down to a sharp bit (use a grinder or a file). You don't need much purchase to grab hold, just a small amount of metal on the blade will do it. But sharp helps grab the plastic. A pocket knife might also grab hold to get the screw started.

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for my ignorance. :agree: Would you be so kind as to tell me how to remove them? I striped the phillips head of it. :dribble:
Grab em with a pair of needle nose pliers or something :unsure:

Oh, the OEM ones are those rounded slippery devils. Just take a dremel cut-off tool and cut a slot in them and use a flat blade screw driver.

You guys rock!!! :fans:

Thank you very much. You both are brilliant.

If you guys need anything from Colorado, like a bag of snow or something. Just let me know. :grin:

Best regards,

Newt.

Yea, those nylon screws'll sheer from forces on the windshield, so that your neck doesn't have to. But also if you over torque them, they'll give instead of cracking the plastic of the windshield.

But even if you replace them with metal screws, there's another safety mechanism: these fasteners screw into compression bushings that will themselves pull out of the windshield mounting frame under high loads.

The new windshield did not come with a Windshield Gasket. Is this gasket really necessary? If so, I'll just order one from ceebaileys.
https://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/fjr1300_flip_06_ws.html

Thanks again,
No. I did not get one for my v-stream and it works fine.
Thank you very much. I just installed my new Yamaha touring windshield. I striped the phillips heads (screws) but they are currently well secured, therefore I just gonna leave it as it is.

Thanks again,

Best regards,

Newt

Last edited by a moderator:
you replace them with metal screws, there's another safety mechanism: these fasteners screw into compression bushings that will themselves pull out of the windshield mounting frame under high loads.
Is that after the shield slices your neck? :rolleyes:

I don't believe this theory. I am personally going to test this theory. :p
Here's a recipe that supports using the stock fasteners. Seems some bright engineers designed them to work in a very specific way...more than just to hold on a windshield, but to have it break off under special circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used metal screws when installing my new Rifle windscreen because both the stock & Rifle supplied plastic screws stripped out the Phillips head. Only 1 hole of the 6 (3 per side) holes took a plastic screw with no damage. Then I also made my own gasket for underneath the Yamaha "W" mask because it was causing whistling problems that the Rifle did not cure.

I figure if I do go thru the windscreen, I'll break my neck anyway, so what's the point ??

I don't wear a helmet either, so I also figure the paramedics can use the metal screws to put my stupid head back together. No cheap-ass plastic screws for my valuable head !

I broke several of the plastic screws before I figured out you don't have to tighten the shit out of them. Try to get them fairly snug and then quit. I haven't had any loosen up or back out yet. Windshield is just as stable as it was when I was trying to get them much tighter.

GP