08 windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowman13

Reaction score
Hi all. Has anyone replaced the OEM windshield on an 08 for the 4" higher shield that Yamaha offers? If you have, are you happy with it. It really looks pretty good in the pictures. Thanks

How are the 08 windshields any different than the 06 or 07? Many folks are very happy with the various brands of aftermarket shields out there.

Hi all. Has anyone replaced the OEM windshield on an 08 for the 4" higher shield that Yamaha offers? If you have, are you happy with it. It really looks pretty good in the pictures. Thanks
I've got one. It looks great on the bike but there's not a big difference from the stocker. It's better but I'm going to try a Cee Bailey +4 +4 next. I'm 6'2 for reference.

I've got one. It looks great on the bike but there's not a big difference from the stocker. It's better but I'm going to try a Cee Bailey +4 +4 next. I'm 6'2 for reference.
Thanks for the comeback and I am about 5'11'' so the replacement may work a bit better for me.

Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into the Cee Bailey and check them out.

How are the 08 windshields any different than the 06 or 07? Many folks are very happy with the various brands of aftermarket shields out there.
Not sure if the shields are different. Thanks

Thanks for the comeback and I am about 5'11'' so the replacement may work a bit better for me.
At 5'11 it might be just right. I've noticed if I duck down about an inch or 2 it's pretty quiet.

At 5'11 it might be just right. I've noticed if I duck down about an inch or 2 it's pretty quiet.
I'm 5'10", that was my thought, too. "Get the touring shield and see if its right for my size." Little wider, little bigger, should be juusst right! :yahoo:

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I might just go for it but I still think I will look around. Thanks a bunch for the imput, it has been a great help. Be safe. Later

I'm only 5'8" so I have to imagine that the GYTR Aftermarket Windshield would work well for me then! :D

I replaced my stock shield with a +4+2 Cee Bailey reverse contour flip shield. It works great and give me a still air pocket in all conditions except for a stiff side wind. I'm 5'10" using the high seat position and am a music listener using earphones.

I highly recommend this shield.

I replaced my stock shield with a +4+2 Cee Bailey reverse contour flip shield. It works great and give me a still air pocket in all conditions except for a stiff side wind. I'm 5'10" using the high seat position and am a music listener using earphones.
I highly recommend this shield.
Thanks for getting back to me about the shield. What do you think the Cee Bailey would be like if it were a +4+2 without the reverse contour? Also, is the material of the shield of a higher quality and thickness than that of the stock shield? Thanks again and be safe.

I'm 5'10.

I got the first chance to ride my 08 on Tues, about 130miles in coolish weather (~60) and was quite happy with the stock shield except wishing that it was about 3" higher, which would have thrown the wind completely over the top of my helmet in all the positions I moved around in.

I was all set on a CalSci, but now I'm awfully tempted to try the Yamaha touring shield.

I'm 5'10'' and just got my cal sci windshield (medium +2.5 ) for my 08. I'll be installing it this week and hope to test it on Wednesday after the weather drys out here in Chicagoland. I'll post again after a few miles with it on.

I put the CalSci medium on mine. I could immediately tell a difference with it in the down position. It is much quieter. The stock shield in the up position had the air stream hitting me in the visor causing a lot of wind noise. The different shape of the CalSci changed that. I now run with the CalSci shield about halfway up with no problems. I am 5'10.

Janet

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put the touring shield on as a part of my purchase deal. I had the original shield on for 3 weeks while the touring shield was on back order. I'm 5' 9'' and the OEM shield was not quite tall enough or wide enough to make the ride quiet or warm on a cold day. The bigger Yamaha shield is much better but not quite as good as the 4" Rifle shield on my 03. I like the the bigger Yamaha shield well enough that I don't expect to be looking for a new shield any time soon.

I'm 6'3" and put the Calsci XL on my 08.

It's MUCH quieter than the stock shield. Definitely would recommend one.

I put the CalSci medium on mine. I could immediately tell a difference with it in the down position. It is much quieter. The stock shield in the up position had the air stream hitting me in the visor causing a lot of wind noise. The different shape of the CalSci changed that. I now run with the CalSci shield about halfway up with no problems. I am 5'10.
Janet
Janet,

Does the CalSci, when it is all the way up, toss the wind over the top of you helmet?

Thx.

I'm 5-11 and seat is at standard height. My Cal-Sci large is normally raised 90%. (100% can't see over the screen) The wind hits near the top of the helmet unless there is a strong cross wind, but it only makes a little noise. I can easily hear my motor and exhaust, and can I usually keep the helmet visor cracked an inch. I don't listen to music, but I'm sure I could if I wanted too-it's that quiet. I also get a slight breeze through the center vent which is the main reason I went with Cal-sci over others.