100,000 Mile Update on my 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyO

Reaction score
Well I finally made the 100K club although I'm lagging behind a number of folks on Skooter's mileage milestone list. What a great bike, this thing just runs and runs. My only mods are better head lamps, barbarian jumper mod, frame sliders (one side used once, glad I had them), highway pegs, one of Garauld's awesome luggage rack/back rests, gel seat and a +2 reverse flip windshield.

My only problem to date is an idling problem that came up around 50K. Seems when it is not quite fully warmed up it may idle low and possibly stall. I had my favorite mechanic look at it and he found sooty injectors and asked what kind of gas I'm using. He suggested good gas and fuel injector cleaner every 5K or so. I've done this and seen a slight improvement but it still does this from time to time.

I've always kept up with oil changes although I do them every 5000 miles as it is easier for me to remember. I use Amzoil 20-50 and Yamaha filters. I tried 20-40 but it seems to shift better with 20-50. In the winter I will ride in the mid 30's and the heavier oil doesn't seem to be a problem. I have pushed some other maintenance based on mechanics that tell me that every 4000 is too often for throttle body sync and they seldom adjust valves on FJR and I put the miles on quickly. My first valve adj was at 30K and one exhaust was adjusted slightly. One intake adjusted at 60K and now I had them checked at 100K with all valves within specs. After 30K I've been doing throttle body syncs every valve adjustment. I've also use the iridium NGK spark plugs and put 30K and recently 40K on a set with bike running great. I change the rear diff oil with Amzoil every 15K and doing well. I have never needed to add oil between oil changes.

I've had the fork oil changed at 60K and I've never had a seal leak. I'm going to service the forks again at 120K. At this same time I had all the suspension and lube points disassembled and lubed. I pushed this service as I put a lot of miles on in a short time. I'm going to service the lube points again around 120K. The back shock seems to be hanging in there. Not a fresh as new but with some firmer adjustment it still seems to perform correctly. I'm hoping the shock will last until my Gen III replacement bike is released.

Tires, I have Michelin PR2 on the front and Dunlop Roadsmart on the back. I would put the PR2 on the back but my buddy works for Yamaha Corp. and gets me a killer deal on the Dunlop. I'm getting 15K to 16K out of Roadsmarts on the back. The Roadsmart makes an awful front tire that I will not use again.

I do around 110 miles of fast freeway daily and the bike sees near 100 MPH daily. It loves it and so do I. I'm hoping to be on Skooter's 150K list soon.

Take care Feejer Folks,

Very nice...good reason to be proud. Keep it going. Been tinkering with the idea of amsoil myself. Congratulations and keep the rhythm roll.

Congrats on hitting the 100k milestone! Quite an achievement.

Feels good to actually put 100,000 miles on a motorcycle doesn't it?

congrats from mal in new zealand i have recently brought a 2006 fjr1300av with 10000kilometers on the clock this was to replace my written off 2005 zzr1200 good to know the yam will go forever

My only problem to date is an idling problem that came up around 50K. Seems when it is not quite fully warmed up it may idle low and possibly stall. I had my favorite mechanic look at it and he found sooty injectors and asked what kind of gas I'm using. He suggested good gas and fuel injector cleaner every 5K or so. I've done this and seen a slight improvement but it still does this from time to time.
Congrats on the milestone. Interesting to read your issues with cold idle. I just hit 50K on my '06 and have had the same issue recently start occurring. I need to do a TBS, and I'm hoping that will cure it. I've done the Iridium plugs, change oil at the same intervals as you, and also use Amsoil (20w-50 in the summer and 10w-40 in the winter).

I sure liked reading about the valve adjustments. I'll have mine checked at 30,000 miles or so but its nice to know they seem to hold their settings well after that. My other bike is a 98 Moto Guzzi EV. Have performed all checks and maintenace on it myself from day 1. Valve checks/adjustments take less than one hour. At 120,000 miles she's going strong, has no leaks burns no oil. Bill

Well I finally made the 100K club although I'm lagging behind a number of folks on Skooter's mileage milestone list. What a great bike, this thing just runs and runs. My only mods are better head lamps, barbarian jumper mod, frame sliders (one side used once, glad I had them), highway pegs, one of Garauld's awesome luggage rack/back rests, gel seat and a +2 reverse flip windshield.

I've always kept up with oil changes although I do them every 5000 miles as it is easier for me to remember. I use Amzoil 20-50 and Yamaha filters. I tried 20-40 but it seems to shift better with 20-50. In the winter I will ride in the mid 30's and the heavier oil doesn't seem to be a problem. I have pushed some other maintenance based on mechanics that tell me that every 4000 is too often for throttle body sync and they seldom adjust valves on FJR and I put the miles on quickly. My first valve adj was at 30K and one exhaust was adjusted slightly. One intake adjusted at 60K and now I had them checked at 100K with all valves within specs. After 30K I've been doing throttle body syncs every valve adjustment. I've also use the iridium NGK spark plugs and put 30K and recently 40K on a set with bike running great. I change the rear diff oil with Amzoil every 15K and doing well. I have never needed to add oil between oil changes.

I've had the fork oil changed at 60K and I've never had a seal leak. I'm going to service the forks again at 120K. At this same time I had all the suspension and lube points disassembled and lubed. I pushed this service as I put a lot of miles on in a short time. I'm going to service the lube points again around 120K. The back shock seems to be hanging in there. Not a fresh as new but with some firmer adjustment it still seems to perform correctly. I'm hoping the shock will last until my Gen III replacement bike is released.

Tires, I have Michelin PR2 on the front and Dunlop Roadsmart on the back. I would put the PR2 on the back but my buddy works for Yamaha Corp. and gets me a killer deal on the Dunlop. I'm getting 15K to 16K out of Roadsmarts on the back. The Roadsmart makes an awful front tire that I will not use again.

I do around 110 miles of fast freeway daily and the bike sees near 100 MPH daily. It loves it and so do I. I'm hoping to be on Skooter's 150K list soon.

Take care Feejer Folks,
Nice! I just bought an 07 FJR, will be picking it up this coming Tuesday. I have on 06 Warrior I put 94k on it, I do 150 miles a day round trip communte. While my Warrior was an awesome bike, i wasnt designed for long commutes. And a bearing went out in the transmission that will cost me about 1,500 to fix so I decided I needed a new bike. Its refreshing to read of all the folks on here that have put serious miles on the FJR:)

If your hot idle RPM is not at about 1100, try kicking it up to that , it might help with the stalling when it is between cold fast idle speed and complete warm up idle speed. My 2007 was doing that before speeding up the idle speed a little

Congrats on 100k miles! Pretty soon your '06 will pass my '07. My '06 is getting most of the miles lately.

Cap the PAIR system, then re-do your TBS. That will probably eliminate the idle problem. And you may never need to do another TBS.

Thanks gang for all the congrats. After my service I had to go back to the shop for an oil leak (valve cover gasket wasn't seated properly). While there I asked them to raise the idle. The super mechanic that didn't work on it at 100K fixed it. He also took it for a drive and ended up fixing the idle problem. He has discovered that on high mile FJR's the air bleed screws for syncing the throttle bodies get carbon build up. He cleaned these up, put new o-rings on them and WOW, I have a new bike at 100K+. What a difference! It runs like new again, clean, crisp and strong. I'm going to put a post on the tech section regarding the carbon build up and fixing the idle.

Ride safe and have fun,

He has discovered that on high mile FJR's the air bleed screws for syncing the throttle bodies get carbon build up. He cleaned these up, put new o-rings on them and WOW, I have a new bike at 100K+. What a difference! It runs like new again, clean, crisp and strong. I'm going to put a post on the tech section regarding the carbon build up and fixing the idle.
Looking forward to more info on that!

Glad you got it fixed.